01-19-2016 03:20 PM
101 1234 ...
tools
    Yes, I'm perfectly happy keeping my Note 4 on KitKat for the rest of its life and will look for a newer version of Android on a future device (ex. Note 5 or 6). Did the same thing with my old Note 2 (froze it on Jelly Bean. Still works great!). From my experience, I've found the original release software a device comes with tends to be the most stable and reliable as it's had time to mature with Google releasing numerous iterations with bug fixes and the OEM has also had the most time to fully test that latest build to work well with the design of the device.

Also change for the sake of change isn't good either, which is what Lollipop seems to be more about than anything else. Good examples of this are the new mute and notification systems and the new predictive battery graph. These are over-engineered changes that don't fix anything (nothing wrong with prior functionality) and actually create issues where previously there were none.
    Exactly man! Same thing with iToys....... if you buy let's say an iPhone 4 S, it runs great on iOS 6, a bit crippled on iOS 7 but still bearable.......come iOS 8 with the forced upgrade, and the phone is crippled so bad you'd have to sell it an upgrade to a new phone! That's what Samsung is doing but luckily, we can install our own OS and root to stop this nonesense
    Mom2Ninjas likes this.
    05-19-2015 09:20 AM
    Mine too. Others get different results. I didn't clear or reset anything. Battery is the same. Guess Lollipop's battery improvements were not much.
    05-19-2015 03:08 PM
    I agree they did manage to make Notificatios poorer.
    05-19-2015 03:10 PM
    I went from Note 3 to 4; 3 Died after not much more than a year. As long as the 4 doesn't die after only a year I'll consider the 5 but not for a year; even if it comes out early like many people think. If they do go to Quad HD I don't think my eyes would notice.
    05-19-2015 03:15 PM
    I went from Note 3 to 4; 3 Died after not much more than a year. As long as the 4 doesn't die after only a year I'll consider the 5 but not for a year; even if it comes out early like many people think. If they do go to Quad HD I don't think my eyes would notice.
    Clearing cache might have made the battery better.

My Note 4 battery is much better than my Note 3 battery.

Also my S5 did better on Lollipop with the battery than it did on KitKat.
    05-19-2015 03:24 PM
    I'd love to have Kit Kat back but I don't want to root my phone.
    i can help you out of that dream, you dont have to root your phone to downgrade !
    grab your firmware from sammobile and flash it with odin !

i did this to, and i love my phone again, rubbish lollipop
    mty msi likes this.
    05-20-2015 03:08 AM
    One thing that stood out to me is that it seems to bundle some notifications together. For example, FB messenger conversations. I preferred it when it showed different chats separately. Not a huge deal, but is there a setting I'm missing or something?
    05-20-2015 07:53 AM
    Delete post.
    05-20-2015 10:05 AM
    I'm thankful you got lucky with lollipop. I was not so lucky on my s5. Far too many bugs and a broken hotspot. So I had to buy a note 4 outright and shut down it's ability to update. I'll watch the future releases of lollipop and decide if I want to chance it on my terms. Which is weird since I've always been excited about updates.
    Well the S5 and Note 4 are 2 different classes of phones. The AT&T Note 4 won't allow you to stop automatic updates which I find ridiculous. But luckily my Note 4 has been amazing on Lollipop 5.0.1. I can't wait until they release 5.1 but I will probably have my Note 5 before that happens

A lot of issues were because people refused to clear their system cache and factory reset their phone after the update. My Note was fine after the update even before I cleared my system cache and did the factory reset. I understand it's a pain to have to reset your phone but it's worth it if your having issues.

The same people that complained when Kit Kat was released are complaining about Lollipop.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4
    05-20-2015 04:52 PM
    I only had one major issue with upgrade to lollipop: I couldn't use my note 4 as a hotspot. Resolved once I reset to factory settings which I didn't do after upgrade. I didn't realize a restart was not the sane as a factory reset. No problems now. No lag and battery is fine. Phone feels snappier overall.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-20-2015 06:10 PM
    Well the S5 and Note 4 are 2 different classes of phones. The AT&T Note 4 won't allow you to stop automatic updates which I find ridiculous. But luckily my Note 4 has been amazing on Lollipop 5.0.1. I can't wait until they release 5.1 but I will probably have my Note 5 before that happens

A lot of issues were because people refused to clear their system cache and factory reset their phone after the update. My Note was fine after the update even before I cleared my system cache and did the factory reset. I understand it's a pain to have to reset your phone but it's worth it if your having issues.

The same people that complained when Kit Kat was released are complaining about Lollipop.

Clearing the cache and factory resets did nothing for me. I ALWAYS factory reset immediately after an update. I did several more cache clears and factory resets but I was still bug ridden and with a broken hotspot.
    05-20-2015 08:39 PM
    Clearing the cache and factory resets did nothing for me. I ALWAYS factory reset immediately after an update. I did several more cache clears and factory resets but I was still bug ridden and with a broken hotspot.
    Sorry to hear that. Who is your carrier? Also like I said the Note 4 is a much better device then the S5 is.

I was referring to people who had issues with Lollipop on the Note 4 not the S5. I prefer the Note series myself. My next device will be a Note 5 regardless if they remove expandable storeage and removable battery.

05-20-2015 09:07 PM
    Sorry to hear that. Who is your carrier? Also like I said the Note 4 is a much better device then the S5 is.

I was referring to people who had issues with Lollipop on the Note 4 not the S5. I prefer the Note series myself. My next device will be a Note 5 regardless if they remove expandable storeage and removable battery.

I'm with sprint. I said what I did about cache clearing on the s5 because I wonder if maybe some of the note 4 people with issues did do the cache clears and factory resets too.
    05-20-2015 09:10 PM
    I'm with sprint. I said what I did about cache clearing on the s5 because I wonder if maybe some of the note 4 people with issues did do the cache clears and factory resets too.
    I find less people do a reset these days, not sure about them doing a wipe cache.

My experience around here, more people did a reset after update, because a lot of us found it did clear up some buggy issues. Many of the regulars here used to just automatically to a reset, didn't wait to see if they needed it

I've seen a lot of people now saying you shouldn't have to reset and many not doing it. I've been updating phones since Froyo with many people here, many have come and gone, and the majority of us just planned for the reset and that was part of the update. A few would wait and if they saw one issue, they would reset.
    05-20-2015 09:41 PM
    Lollipop turned my note 4 from my greatest tool into my greatest hinderance. I'll have to read up in how to go back to kit kat.

05-20-2015 10:01 PM
    All the things you explained here are happening to my note 4 I hate this before everything was smooth the best os for android ph then they kill it with the new candy os I can't stand 😂 I'm not liking my T-Mobile note 4 as much lags slow battery is drained every app is freezing just makes you want the next newest bug bug thing from samsung.

05-20-2015 10:36 PM
    All the things you explained here are happening to my note 4 I hate this before everything was smooth the best os for android ph then they kill it with the new candy os I can't stand I'm not liking my T-Mobile note 4 as much lags slow battery is drained every app is freezing just makes you want the next newest bug bug thing from samsung.

Have you wiped the cache after doing the update?
    05-20-2015 11:20 PM
    My carrier is VZW and I have to admit that what I really do not appreciate is having something rammed down my throat. My preference on updates is to allow the bugs to get worked out before I make a switch. The % of new firmware or software packages I have seen released without bugs.......0%. Sorry, that is a pretty lousy record for the industry in general. Don't want to hear how hard it is....

So does anybody know if disabling OTA on a VZW Note 4 is doable and OK. Anybody know where I can find instructions? Goggling for it has not worked so far. I would like to disable it for now and then bring it back up when I want to do the update to Lollipop. I am sure I will do it at some point just to be current....but not now. If I have to keep dealing with the update notification I will. But would prefer not if possible.

Any assistance much appreciated. Actually don't know what this industry would do without users on sites like this helping each other.
    05-20-2015 11:44 PM
    Have you wiped the cache after doing the update?
    I have, while it makes things a little bit better, it is no where near the smoothness and battery life of Kit Kat
    05-21-2015 06:40 AM
    My carrier is VZW and I have to admit that what I really do not appreciate is having something rammed down my throat. My preference on updates is to allow the bugs to get worked out before I make a switch. The % of new firmware or software packages I have seen released without bugs.......0%. Sorry, that is a pretty lousy record for the industry in general. Don't want to hear how hard it is....

So does anybody know if disabling OTA on a VZW Note 4 is doable and OK. Anybody know where I can find instructions? Goggling for it has not worked so far. I would like to disable it for now and then bring it back up when I want to do the update to Lollipop. I am sure I will do it at some point just to be current....but not now. If I have to keep dealing with the update notification I will. But would prefer not if possible.

Any assistance much appreciated. Actually don't know what this industry would do without users on sites like this helping each other.
    Root your phone, that's the only way to avoid it because when it comes, it will keep nagging on you to install it all the time and constantly have a notification icon on the top telling you there is an update! very annoying! That's why I rooted and don't know anything about lollipop anymore I'll keep it this way until I wanna sell the phone! This phone was NOT made for lollipop. Period
    05-21-2015 06:42 AM
    I have, while it makes things a little bit better, it is no where near the smoothness and battery life of Kit Kat
    That question was to the person I quoted..
    05-21-2015 08:15 AM
    I completely agree! This is one area Android really needs to mature in and provide a native way to control OS updates (ex. like Microsoft does with Windows where you have the option to set OS software updates to: Automatic, Notify only, or Disable). This is especially aggravating when you've bought your phone outright and own it straight up (only pay the carrier for service). In that case I feel the carrier (looking at you Verizon!!!! ) has absolutely no business dictating an update to me. It's MY device and I should have sole discretion whether it gets an update or not. But I digress...
    One of the things about Android though, it is open source, so there is less control like Apple has.
    05-21-2015 11:23 AM

Hi mate,

I'm in Ireland and had the very annoying notification to update. There was no legitimate way to stop it. If your phone works the same as mine you won't need to root your phone.

If you downgrade your phone back to Kitkat using the Odin method, which is simple. When you turn your phone on for the first time, log on as normal entering your details. Then go into About Device in settings and turn off automatic updates. This isn't enough to stop the reminder. Go into Application Manager in settings. Go to the All tab and scroll down. There are two software update applications, but it's only possible to go into one and disable it. Disable that and you won't get reminded again until you want it, even after a reboot. It stays disabled.

05-21-2015 02:50 PM
    Verizon Note 4's don't have that option. Thus the only way to really stop OTA updates for us is to disabled the OTA updater.
    And can you disable it via the application manager or do you have to root?

05-21-2015 04:21 PM
    Currently there isn't a viable root method for the Verizon retail model, so that's not an option. Either way disabling it via Application manager isn't an option for us. We either have to use the aforementioned non-root method to kill the updater or if we had root would need to disable a couple files (ex. SDM.apk and fwupgrade.apk) to do the same.
    So Verizon really hamstrung their customers by the sounds of things. Sorry to hear that.

05-21-2015 06:08 PM
101 1234 ...