01-19-2016 04:20 PM
101 12345
tools
    Thanks very much. Sorry I did not get back to say thanks before this but I just could not get back to the forum until now.

Regards
    05-22-2015 12:23 AM
    I completely agree! This is one area Android really needs to mature in and provide a native way to control OS updates (ex. like Microsoft does with Windows where you have the option to set OS software updates to: Automatic, Notify only, or Disable). This is especially aggravating when you've bought your phone outright and own it straight up (only pay the carrier for service). In that case I feel the carrier (looking at you Verizon!!!! ) has absolutely no business dictating an update to me. It's MY device and I should have sole discretion whether it gets an update or not. But I digress...

You can disable the OTA updater without root as referenced in this XDA thread. I did this a while back (Dec.) to stay on KitKat and haven't seen an update notice since. The updater can be re-enabled again if you wish to take OTA updates down the road.

Since that XDA thread has been closed (apparently the dev is no longer providing support) and no longer lists the file for download I've attached the original zip file that I used here. At the time I used an old Windows XP computer and didn't need to download/install any Samsung drivers, just plugged the phone into the PC (using the data/charging cable that came with the phone), enabled Developer options (by tapping it three times under settings), enabled USB debugging, extracted the zip file, then ran the "Block Knox and OTA" bat file. Done.

Edit: looks like this Debloater tool replaced the previous bat file stuff and why that original dev stopped supporting it and the thread was closed. Either process can be used though to disable the OTA updater.
    I tried that a while back before r00t!ng but it kept saying some files were not found when I ran the command prompt thingie, not so reliable in my experience
    05-22-2015 10:51 AM
    That's because the batch file method was configured to work for only the Verizon and AT&T variants since they don't have root access. Their respective batch files are configured to disable files unique to their respective OTA updaters. For that method to work on other Note 4 variants you would have to modify the batch file to disable those files specific to their OTA updater. But that can be done with root access on those variants, so no need to mess with the batch file method.
    Ahhhh no wonder it never worked since I have the international version not any carrier specific one. Thanks bro

PS: Even though I don't have a carrier branded Note 4, Lollipop was still being forced down my throat with constant notifications that there is a system update despite me going to settings and turning off the auto update. Thank God I'm rooted now so all good Kit Kat FTW
    05-22-2015 12:40 PM
    I went back to KK as well and am much happier. Heck, I might not have to switch to an idumb... lol-**** was just a disaster for me. one really annoying thing about lol-**** was that I had way more bluetooth audio skips then before making listening to even local music a trying experience. I need to test, but I'm hoping I go back to the error free music listening experience I had before lol-****.
    BullGuard8 likes this.
    05-22-2015 02:58 PM
    I went back to KK as well and am much happier. Heck, I might not have to switch to an idumb... lol-**** was just a disaster for me. one really annoying thing about lol-**** was that I had way more bluetooth audio skips then before making listening to even local music a trying experience. I need to test, but I'm hoping I go back to the error free music listening experience I had before lol-****.
    did you root or how are you disabling the update notifications and nags?

One nice thing about rooting is I uninstalled all the Samsung bloatware! no more dropbox, evernote, hangouts, pages manager, etc!
    05-23-2015 04:56 AM
    Lollipop has caused massive issues with my Note 4...
    05-23-2015 10:37 PM
    Lollipop has caused massive issues with my Note 4...
    may I ask what carrier your Note is on? thanks.
    05-23-2015 11:42 PM
    did you root or how are you disabling the update notifications and nags?

One nice thing about rooting is I uninstalled all the Samsung bloatware! no more dropbox, evernote, hangouts, pages manager, etc!
    No I didn't root because there's no root method for note 4 on verizon. That would be my first choice though if possible. I used the bat file method attached to this thread. I guess it worked because I have a Verizon note 4. Going back to kk not only improved battery life and performance but also ended virtually all Bluetooth skipping issues while listening to audio on headsets. Now I can at least use this thing for a bit.

Posted via the Android Central App
    BullGuard8 likes this.
    05-24-2015 08:49 AM
    Hi All,
    I am trying to understand, are these lollipop issues with Galaxy Note 4 on all carriers or they are only carrier specific? Any one on AT&T has these issues? Thanks.
    05-24-2015 10:08 AM
    Hi All,
    I am trying to understand, are these lollipop issues with Galaxy Note 4 on all carriers or they are only carrier specific? Any one on AT&T has these issues? Thanks.
    I'm on AT&T and I've had zero issues with Lollipop.
    Peter2015 and sqa4life like this.
    05-24-2015 10:30 AM
    Ahhhh no wonder it never worked since I have the international version not any carrier specific one. Thanks bro

PS: Even though I don't have a carrier branded Note 4, Lollipop was still being forced down my throat with constant notifications that there is a system update despite me going to settings and turning off the auto update. Thank God I'm rooted now so all good Kit Kat FTW
    Is your Knox flag tripped/warranty invalidated now?

05-24-2015 11:12 AM
    Is your Knox flag tripped/warranty invalidated now?

No, it won't be as long as you use stock firmware and don't root. I have 910F and went back to KK without any problems. Knox counter still shows 0x0.
    05-24-2015 12:43 PM
    don't know, and don't care to be honest, I never EVER used warranty on any phone, by the time the warranty period is out I usually replace my phone. I also make sure to put a screen protector + good case on any phone I buy before I use it so they are always in mint condition. Software issues, I fix myself by updating / downgrading the firmware. Factory defects, well I would know about them way before I had attempted to root or tinker with the internals of the device
    05-24-2015 03:43 PM
    I downgraded my Note Edge from Lollipop to KitKat awhile back. Much happier with that phone. I still have my Note 4 on Lollipop because the battery life on that phone is amazing since upgrading. Very happy with both phones. Both phones are T-Mobile but officially unlocked by them.
    05-24-2015 05:51 PM
    I've recently rooted and installed CM 12.1.
    Stock Lollipop seemed ok at first but somehow got progressively worse, the lag to launch the phone app reaching 8 seconds was the final straw, along with having to charge the phone around lunch time :/

The S-Pen, fast charge and the fingerprint reader still don't work, plus the camera is flakey with some camera apps but not others.
    Minor issues for me as I don't use the pen, I'm back to only charging when it's convenient to do so - while I sleep, drive, shower, sat at my desk etc... smart lock is better than the fingerprint unlock if you have a smartwatch (as I do) and its not a big deal to change your camera app.

The phone is really, really smooth and lag free (even more so than on stock KitKat). Unbelievably so.
    Also noticed that other things seem to work better than they did even under KitKat, my Fitbit has started syncing at first time of asking, the BT wifi app works now where it didn't before & the music controls on my watch are consistently instant rather than anywhere between a 10 seconds delay and a 10 minute (!) delay.

This has majorly put me off Samsung though, I had similar issues with my S3 and said I'd never go back. I did but really won't again.

I'm not a massive Apple fan but what I can say for them is that if an update kills a flagship device (which the Note 4 still is) in that sort of way it gets fixed in days rather than months. I really shouldn't have to install a custom ROM to make a phone that I'm paying a lot of money for work properly.
    Reckon it's between an iPhone and a Nexus device when I upgrade in 18 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-25-2015 02:04 AM
    My phone actually started giving me problems after the update. I had lag, random freezes and my battery life is horrible now. It's probably half of what it used to be.

I found a way to downgrade back to Kit Kat without Root, but does anyone know how to prevent the phone from constantly asking me to update the software after I downgrade? That's the reason I have in and upgraded to Lollipop in the first place.
    05-25-2015 02:13 AM
    My phone actually started giving me problems after the update. I had lag, random freezes and my battery life is horrible now. It's probably half of what it used to be.

I found a way to downgrade back to Kit Kat without Root, but does anyone know how to prevent the phone from constantly asking me to update the software after I downgrade? That's the reason I have in and upgraded to Lollipop in the first place.
    I have TMobile. Since my L update, my biggest issue has been my GPS not being able to be located, so it throws off Google Map. How do you go back to KK without rooting?
    05-25-2015 08:28 AM

If u are on verizon, the link to xda is at the beginning of this thread. I did it and it worked perfect without root. My phone is back to perfect.

BullGuard8 likes this.
    05-25-2015 11:46 AM
    If u are on verizon, the link to xda is at the beginning of this thread. I did it and it worked perfect without root. My phone is back to perfect.

Kit Kat FTW
    05-25-2015 06:39 PM

I have the link to downgrade, but I'm just wondering if I would get the notifications to upgrade after I downgrade. Before installing Lollipop I kept getting constant alerts to upgrade my software which was annoying.
    05-26-2015 01:56 AM
    I have the link to downgrade, but I'm just wondering if I would get the notifications to upgrade after I downgrade. Before installing Lollipop I kept getting constant alerts to upgrade my software which was annoying.
    Me too I am not on Verizon but man those notifications and nags drove me nuts so I rooted and I'm actually happier now since not only am I on Kit Kat, but I am also able to uninstall all the bloatware for good not just "Turn it off" so my phone has never been lighter and snappier now. only has the apps I need
    05-26-2015 03:27 AM
    I downgraded because I didn't like a few bugs I came across in lollipop. (I started a new thread listing these). I was able to stop the update notification without rooting also. There are two software update applications in the application manager area. One of them can be disabled. If you disable that and also in the About Device section turn off automatically check out updates, it won't update. Don't worry, it gives you time to do this when you're setting your phone back up on Kitkat without it prompting. The good part is this app remains disabled even after rebooting your phone so you can enable it and install lollipop any time you want after that.

I just got NOTE 4 over weekend, how do I disable the OTA Lollipop upgrade? It is annoying me to death
    05-26-2015 04:19 PM
    Are most of the people on Verizon that are experiencing issues to a point where they are downgrading to Kit Kat? It's really a shame too because Lollipop has really improved the preformance of my Note 4 on AT&T.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4
    05-27-2015 07:19 PM
    Are most of the people on Verizon that are experiencing issues to a point where they are downgrading to Kit Kat? It's really a shame too because Lollipop has really improved the preformance of my Note 4 on AT&T.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4
    For a while after the factory reset on Lollipop, I was thinking it's ok, used it for about 2 weeks. Then I remembered how I used to have 2 to 3 days battery life, how snappy my phone was. That's when I decided finally that this phone was made for and works best on Kit Kat FTW
    nahoku and Mom2Ninjas like this.
    06-02-2015 03:47 PM
    Kit Kat is the best OS for the Note 4! Lollipop reduced my battery life and made the phone super laggy compared to Kit Kat
    mty msi, nahoku, KJ78 and 1 others like this.
    06-28-2015 08:36 AM
101 12345