12-08-2016 06:53 PM
27 12
tools
    hi, i am getting a new car on friday.
    my previous car had a build in sat nav, but i did not have the cash to add sat nav as an option for my new car (maybe i will get it in the future)

but is the note 4 good enough to use as navigation in my car in combination with google maps ?

the other day i tried if it worked and it worked suprisingly well, but that was just a litle drive.

does any of you use it for navigation ?
    and do you use google maps or do you have another app ?
    05-18-2015 03:19 AM
    Plan for a charging method. The navigation may eat more battery than what you were used to. For longer trips out of main areas, i have downloaded Here from Nokia. It does not require an Internet connection for navigation. Other than that it works fine.
    geekaren and ehstaley like this.
    05-18-2015 03:32 AM
    Plan for a charging method. The navigation may eat more battery than what you were used to. For longer trips out of main areas, i have downloaded Here from Nokia. It does not require an Internet connection for navigation. Other than that it works fine.
    thanks.
    well battery life is no problem, at the end of the day i have 40 - 50% battery left.
    and if its draining i can load it in my car.
    05-18-2015 03:53 AM
    The Note, and most smart phones, are great for navigating in place of a built in system. Just used mine to get me to a surprise party 2 hours away on Saturday with no issue!
    05-18-2015 04:31 AM
    Yes I use it, but it's best to use a stand alone app.

The last time I checked TomTom is not compatible (resolution problem) but there are several others.

I use Sygic , which uses TomTom maps anyway, but the is also Navigon, Route 66 or Co-Pilot to name just a few.
    05-18-2015 04:35 AM
    I've been using my phone for navigation for years, which is why I never get navigation when I turnover cars. I use to use Google Maps, but I find myself using Waze most of the time now. It 'usually' gets me where I'm going and helps with traffic as well. None of them are perfect, but for the savings they are well worth it.

Also I use a windshield mount, so it's always in front of me and I don't have to take my eyes off of the road. And as suggested, for out of town trips I use a car charger to ensure I still have battery life when u get there. Good luck.

Sent from my Note 3 Using Tapatalk
    05-18-2015 05:51 AM
    05-18-2015 07:20 AM
    I ONLY use my phone for car navigation. Like it better than my Audi's navigation anyways, and the big vibrant screen on the Note 4 is great. I use this easy inexpensive mount for my phone which goes into the car cd slot (and doesn't block any controls in my car):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G1L52Q/...cUvbUpU4432992
    05-18-2015 07:47 AM
    Navi is great. Use the Waze app!
    05-18-2015 08:14 AM
    Another vote for Waze!
    05-18-2015 08:32 AM
    I use Waze in cities and congested traffic areas and HERE for everything else. I have also had great success with the free iBolt navi system. All of these are as good or better than the Garmin navi system I have installed in my vehicle.
    05-18-2015 02:55 PM
    It's the only one I use. Get a phone mount and you're all set

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-18-2015 07:26 PM
    I have been using tomtom navigation on my phones for the last few years. Tomtom recently redesigned it's app calling it tomtom go mobile. I use it everyday and have travelled all around the UK & europe in a motorhome and found it to be excellent on my Note 4

Posted from my rooted Note 4 and loving it
    05-18-2015 09:20 PM
    Google map on my note 4 does a much better job than the navigation in my 2014 Avalon.
    05-18-2015 09:25 PM
    I have always opted out of adding a $1800-2,000 Nav system package AND ($350-450 to update maps in a year or two) to my car, as my phone and Google maps works great and for a lot less money and you can take it from car to car! My husband and I are Realtors and we use it all the time for navigating to properties to show or list. We also use it to travel by car to out of state places and it works perfectly.

I did however have a problem with a recent Google Maps update, and uninstalled the update going back to previous version and works great. I know there are a bunch of other GPS apps as well.
    05-19-2015 01:59 PM
    Good enough for me. Except when the GPS can't find anything so Navigation is not available. Sometimes another App will work.
    05-19-2015 02:54 PM
    I prefer just using a stand alone GPS. Bought a Garmin Nuvi at least 5 years ago (meanwhile I'm on my 3rd phone since then), cost me $100 and it came with lifetime map updates. It stays in my car, stuck to my windshield. Don't have to worry about mounting/unmounting my phone every time I get in or out of my vehicle. If I get rid of the car, I keep the GPS. Simple.
    05-19-2015 03:01 PM
    When it comes to navigation find the Note 4 screen a little small for my liking I use a Galaxy 10.1 tablet propped up on my console running the Sygic navigation app. I have the app installed on my tablet and on my Note 4 so I can use the phone as a backup if the tablet should ever fail.
    05-19-2015 04:58 PM
    i used to have a build in nav from garmin in my previous car.
    il just try and use my phone as a navigator !

i can pick up my car this friday and the same day we go on vacation so i can test it

if it fails, i let my husky's tell me the directions :P
    05-20-2015 03:11 AM
    Another vote for Waze!
    Love Waze... until my Note 4 was updated to lollipop recently. There is a known issue with these telephones.

You can check it in waze web site, under support, known issues, distorted maps. (I can't enter links here yet )
    05-29-2015 10:40 AM
    I have a large Garmin in my car. I don't remember the screen size, but it is bigger than most GPS people buy and out on their car. I've started using my N4 some as navigation. It is taking some getting used to for me. My Garmin is much easier to glance at, so rarely use voice. When I do, it comes through my car speakers and easier to hear. I prefer my Garmin with the larger screen.

I just use Google maps on my N4 and find it to be just as accurate and sometimes more detailed and the most up to date info. I have to update my maps every so often on my car GPS.
    05-29-2015 11:49 AM
    Navdy looks pretty cool and would be an awesome option... as long as it's legit. I would love to pre-order for $200 off retail, but maybe it's like some of these other tech items that just continually pre-order, but never ship?
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    05-29-2015 12:04 PM
    Navdy looks pretty cool and would be an awesome option... as long as it's legit. I would love to pre-order for $200 off retail, but maybe it's like some of these other tech items that just continually pre-order, but never ship?
    Interesting that I'd see you post after a year and a half. I pre-ordered a Navdy in August of 2014 and just this morning I received notification that it has shipped. So, 829 days after I submitted my paid pre-order I'll have it in my grubby mitts at long last on November 30, 2016. I hope it's as good as their Facebook page is portraying. I'm getting kinda psyched now.
    11-29-2016 06:01 PM
    i used to have a build in nav from garmin in my previous car.
    il just try and use my phone as a navigator !

i can pick up my car this friday and the same day we go on vacation so i can test it

if it fails, i let my husky's tell me the directions :P
    Lol that's cute
    11-30-2016 05:58 AM
    I'm using Google Maps on my Note 4 for Nav in my Ford with Sync 3, which can connect to Android Auto. It gives really good turn by turn voice directions over the car radio speakers and takes voice commands ("take me home"). Two modes are available: One is the Ford Nav screen with the routing provided by Gmaps, the other is the straight Gmaps user interface. The Ford UI is less good at detours; using the Gmaps UI I can just turn wherever I want and if there's a reasonable route that goes that way Gmaps will switch to it. On the Ford UI, if you turn off from the recommended route the Nav will show you haw to get back onto the recommended route (turn left here. OK, turn left at the next light. OK, here comes another left). Gmaps has its best performance if you let it have access to wireless data; as an alternative you can pre-download all the mapping data for your neighborhood(s), don't forget to refresh it every month.
    11-30-2016 11:58 PM
27 12