06-03-2015 03:39 PM
34 12
tools
    Remember:

Hard screen protector (like tempered glass) = more scratch resistance, but easier to break if it falls face-down on a pebble. (Tempered glass doesn't fracture into shards, it crumbles into tiny pieces, so it's safer, but it still breaks. And it's only about 8 hardness on the Mhos scale. Carbide is 9, so if you wipe a dry screen protector and there are any carbide particles on it, it'll scratch.)

Soft screen protector = scratch easily (but one spritz of eyeglass cleaner on the microfiber cloth you use to clean the screen and the tiny carbide particles get washed off) and the protector doesn't break. (And if it does scratch, most of them end up costing about a buck in packs of 5, so who cares).

I prefer an Otterbox Defender - it protects the screen (both with a plastic screen protector and with a ridge of pretty good shock-absorbing rubber sticking out past the screen) and protects the inside of the phone against shock - like "oops" when the phone slips out of your hand and you're standing on concrete. You may have to brush some dirt off the case. (Expensive, but cheaper than the copay on insurance for most phones.)
    Neo_ii_Droid likes this.
    05-27-2015 05:27 PM
    I use the flexible Verizon branded tempered glass screen protector. No case. For some reason, I case or skin iPhones but go naked with Androids. Weird, I know.
    05-27-2015 05:32 PM
    Remember:

Hard screen protector (like tempered glass) = more scratch resistance, but easier to break if it falls face-down on a pebble. (Tempered glass doesn't fracture into shards, it crumbles into tiny pieces, so it's safer, but it still breaks. And it's only about 8 hardness on the Mhos scale. Carbide is 9, so if you wipe a dry screen protector and there are any carbide particles on it, it'll scratch.)

Soft screen protector = scratch easily (but one spritz of eyeglass cleaner on the microfiber cloth you use to clean the screen and the tiny carbide particles get washed off) and the protector doesn't break. (And if it does scratch, most of them end up costing about a buck in packs of 5, so who cares).

I prefer an Otterbox Defender - it protects the screen (both with a plastic screen protector and with a ridge of pretty good shock-absorbing rubber sticking out past the screen) and protects the inside of the phone against shock - like "oops" when the phone slips out of your hand and you're standing on concrete. You may have to brush some dirt off the case. (Expensive, but cheaper than the copay on insurance for most phones.)
    That latter statement escaped my notice, but other than that, well stated!
    05-28-2015 11:00 PM
    Just yesterday I noticed a crack and I could not tell if my phone screen was cracked or my Zagg glass. There was no ragged edge on top. I was thinking it was the phone itself. This morning I got brave and pulled back the glass and thank goodness, it is the protector that is cracked. I have a spare glass, but I will be sending in the cracked glass to have it replaced for free by Zagg. I saved $150 on the deductible.
    GregMargie likes this.
    05-29-2015 09:39 AM
    I'm thinking of getting a screen protector for my Note 4. I had an off and on relationship with my S-View case for my S5, so I'm not sure if I want to go down that road again. I really loved that it offered total screen protection, but sometimes the cover was inconvenient, especially if I was trying to use the phone 1 handed.

For now, I'm just using a basic shell case and want to add some protection to the screen so that it doesn't get scratched by my keys or lighter when I carry it in my pocket. So what's the preferred screen protector? I tried a Zagg (I think that was it) for my Note 8.0 tablet, but I found that it interfered a little bit with the S-Pen, so I took it off after a week or 2. Any other suggestions?
    I have a Zagg glass screen protector and it doesn't interfere with the S-Pen at all. I also have the Samsung S-View case and the glass screen protector doesn't effect the functions available through the S-View window.

I personally recommend Zagg as I have been using them for years and they are great at resisting scratches on the screen protector itself.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4
    05-29-2015 07:41 PM
    I don't think the edge of the screen protector is going to go down a "usable" part of the screen. If you run your finger side to side on your phone (assuming it's not in a case), you will feel the raised edge of the screen on the outside of the frame. The usable screen portion of the phone (within the frame) feels perfectly flat and will be entirely covered by a screen protector.
    This screen protector literally has a line going down the usable screen portion. It doesn't make it the black edge of the screen.
    06-01-2015 04:39 PM
    If by a line going down the screen you're referring to the edge of the protector most of them completely cover the usable portion of the screen so the edge of the protector is just outside the usable portion of the screen. The problem in addition to not covering the screen edge to edge (which really IMO is not a problem) is finding a glass protector that installs w/o a halo. The iCarez glass protector installs w/o a halo but mine was such a dust/fingerprint magnet I had to remove it. Others have posted on xda forums they've not had the dust/fingerprint problem w/ the iCarez glass.

I settled on the Zagg hdx which isn't glass but installed on my AT&T N4 w/o a halo. It has excellent clarity & excellent resistance to fingerprints & dust. I clean it maybe every 3-4 days by contrast I was cleaning the iCarez glass at least once a day. The hdx is not as smooth as glass & I'd rather have glass but now 7 months after I got my N4 I'm done trying to find a glass protector that installs w/o a halo. The hdx is a compromise & for me it works well enough to leave it on.
    Yes, it is the edge of the protector and yes... IMO they cut it a little too short.
    06-01-2015 04:45 PM
    I don't do screen protectors, I don't see the need for them.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-03-2015 03:22 PM
    Actually taking off my Verizon flexible tempered glass after class tonight to put on one of the Spigen Crystals that just came in from Amazon.
    06-03-2015 03:39 PM
34 12