When do you think the Galaxy Note 4 will get the 5.1 update?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Anywhere from next month to next year - it depends on the carrier.

Let me ask you a question - would you rather get it sooner, but with bugs, or would you rather wait until they get most of the bugs out? In software, "release on some specific future date" also means "release with all the bugs still in it on that date". Software is a creative process, not a manufacturing process - you can't pick a date and have it ready on that date. (TMobile just had to pull, IIRC, the G3 update - on the evening of the release - because of bugs it just couldn't allow. I'll give them props for that - they had announced the release date and everyone was disappointed - but they would have been furious if their phones had updated and died.)

@Shiggidy:
How much do you want for that crystal ball? I have a car I'm not using at the moment - I'll trade straight.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

Let me ask you a question - would you rather get it sooner, but with bugs, or would you rather wait until they get most of the bugs out? In software, "release on some specific future date" also means "release with all the bugs still in it on that date". Software is a creative process, not a manufacturing process - you can't pick a date and have it ready on that date. (TMobile just had to pull, IIRC, the G3 update - on the evening of the release - because of bugs it just couldn't allow. I'll give them props for that - they had announced the release date and everyone was disappointed - but they would have been furious if their phones had updated and died.)

The only real problem that I'm having with the 5.0.1 update is the memory management issues, which are making my note 4 seem slower than it actually is.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

@Shiggidy:
How much do you want for that crystal ball? I have a car I'm not using at the moment - I'll trade straight.

Also, while I like timely updates, I agree with the fact that if any of the major US carriers need to wait to release the update until most of the major bugs are fixed, than I don't mind waiting. It's when they take more time than needed to push an update that annoys me.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested to know if the Note 4 will get the updated TouchWiz that the S6/S6 Edge has

Last edited:

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm interested to know if the Note 4 will get the update TouchWiz that the S6/S6 Edge has

I hope so. Cause that means a lot more of the included features will be turned off, which will be good, because I don't use half of them.

Last edited:

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested to know if the Note 4 will get the updated TouchWiz that the S6/S6 Edge has
I tried the s6, it was super smoothly. Only reason I went back to the note 4 was 'cause the battery life on the note 4 can't be beat. Other than that, the s6 is a gem.

robcassman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there a difference? All my android phones crap out within about 6 months of purchase. We wait for an update, only to be disappointed as it worsens the phone. We get an update quicker, and it also worsens the phone. What is it about Android (maybe not specific to Android) where phones significantly worsen in less than a year? I've had a lot. I have NEVER had a phone run well after about 6 months. My Note 4 has bad Bluetooth, mediocre battery, random restarts, and the camera is the slowest I've ever had.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, in my case in Portugal I only got lollipop 2 weeks ago.

I assume around end of the year.. As a best case scenario..

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Carrier updates usually trickle down about six months after the OS is released. I'm thinking late Summer or early Fall, but we'll get it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey