06-21-2015 08:44 AM
62 123
tools
    Specifically for U.S. Variants, give a rough estimate of when the note 4 will get the update.
    05-25-2015 04:28 PM
    1/1/2016
    falecha37 likes this.
    05-25-2015 04:33 PM
    Anywhere from next month to next year - it depends on the carrier.

Let me ask you a question - would you rather get it sooner, but with bugs, or would you rather wait until they get most of the bugs out? In software, "release on some specific future date" also means "release with all the bugs still in it on that date". Software is a creative process, not a manufacturing process - you can't pick a date and have it ready on that date. (TMobile just had to pull, IIRC, the G3 update - on the evening of the release - because of bugs it just couldn't allow. I'll give them props for that - they had announced the release date and everyone was disappointed - but they would have been furious if their phones had updated and died.)

@Shiggidy:
    How much do you want for that crystal ball? I have a car I'm not using at the moment - I'll trade straight.
    05-25-2015 04:35 PM

Let me ask you a question - would you rather get it sooner, but with bugs, or would you rather wait until they get most of the bugs out? In software, "release on some specific future date" also means "release with all the bugs still in it on that date". Software is a creative process, not a manufacturing process - you can't pick a date and have it ready on that date. (TMobile just had to pull, IIRC, the G3 update - on the evening of the release - because of bugs it just couldn't allow. I'll give them props for that - they had announced the release date and everyone was disappointed - but they would have been furious if their phones had updated and died.)
    The only real problem that I'm having with the 5.0.1 update is the memory management issues, which are making my note 4 seem slower than it actually is.
    falecha37 likes this.
    05-25-2015 04:40 PM

@Shiggidy:
    How much do you want for that crystal ball? I have a car I'm not using at the moment - I'll trade straight.
    Also, while I like timely updates, I agree with the fact that if any of the major US carriers need to wait to release the update until most of the major bugs are fixed, than I don't mind waiting. It's when they take more time than needed to push an update that annoys me.
    05-25-2015 04:43 PM
    I'm interested to know if the Note 4 will get the updated TouchWiz that the S6/S6 Edge has
    sqa4life likes this.
    05-25-2015 04:54 PM
    I'm interested to know if the Note 4 will get the update TouchWiz that the S6/S6 Edge has
    I hope so. Cause that means a lot more of the included features will be turned off, which will be good, because I don't use half of them.
    05-25-2015 06:26 PM
    The only real problem that I'm having with the 5.0.1 update is the memory management issues, which are making my note 4 seem slower than it actually is.
    This

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-25-2015 06:38 PM
    This

Exactly!
    05-25-2015 06:40 PM
    I'm interested to know if the Note 4 will get the updated TouchWiz that the S6/S6 Edge has
    I tried the s6, it was super smoothly. Only reason I went back to the note 4 was 'cause the battery life on the note 4 can't be beat. Other than that, the s6 is a gem.
    mumfoau likes this.
    05-25-2015 07:28 PM
    Is there a difference? All my android phones crap out within about 6 months of purchase. We wait for an update, only to be disappointed as it worsens the phone. We get an update quicker, and it also worsens the phone. What is it about Android (maybe not specific to Android) where phones significantly worsen in less than a year? I've had a lot. I have NEVER had a phone run well after about 6 months. My Note 4 has bad Bluetooth, mediocre battery, random restarts, and the camera is the slowest I've ever had.

dbarnes2270 likes this.
    05-25-2015 07:51 PM
    I'm curious if those who stayed with KitKat are less anxious than those who allowed the Lollipop update.
    05-25-2015 08:19 PM
    I'm curious if those who stayed with KitKat are less anxious than those who allowed the Lollipop update.
    I bet they have reasons for why they stayed with kitkat, but they'll have to upgrade at some point.
    05-25-2015 08:33 PM
    i think the 5.0.1 update is the last one we got, maybe a fix but no more big updates.
    05-26-2015 03:11 AM
    Well, in my case in Portugal I only got lollipop 2 weeks ago.

I assume around end of the year.. As a best case scenario..
    05-26-2015 04:28 AM
    Carrier updates usually trickle down about six months after the OS is released. I'm thinking late Summer or early Fall, but we'll get it.

05-26-2015 06:42 AM
    i think the 5.0.1 update is the last one we got, maybe a fix but no more big updates.
    I'm thinking this too. With how fragmented Android is, we are lucky to have 5.0.1. I'm honestly not counting on another Lollipop update.
    UniQue WerkX likes this.
    05-26-2015 08:37 AM
    I disagree, this is a flagship device. It is generally about 18 months minimum of updating you can expect.
    geekaren and mk20051#AC like this.
    05-26-2015 08:52 AM
    The main thing I want 5.1 for is the ability to disable the heads up notifications.
    radicchio and kirksucks like this.
    05-26-2015 08:52 AM
    I'll get the update faster once I buy the Note 5...

Posted via the One and Only Note 4..
    CehowardNote7 likes this.
    05-26-2015 11:13 AM
    I would like 5.1 for any features we did not get with 5.0 and any bug fixes. I love Lollipop. I love my HD calling and Smart Lock. I can live with any of the other small quirks that come with a large OS update.
    UniQue WerkX likes this.
    05-26-2015 03:59 PM
    I would like 5.1 for any features we did not get with 5.0 and any bug fixes. I love Lollipop. I love my HD calling and Smart Lock. I can live with any of the other small quirks that come with a large OS update.
    I just want it to make my phone stop lagging.
    zkyevolved likes this.
    05-26-2015 08:08 PM
    I bet they have reasons for why they stayed with kitkat, but they'll have to upgrade at some point.
    Can't they just keep using their Note 4 on KitKat?
    05-26-2015 09:19 PM
    Yes, no one is required to update

berdinkerdickle likes this.
    05-26-2015 11:05 PM
    I disagree, this is a flagship device. It is generally about 18 months minimum of updating you can expect.
    i believe that the note 4 will be getting android M

Kelly Kearns likes this.
    05-27-2015 02:10 AM
62 123