Which micro SD card?

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
When I got my shiny new Note 4, I decided to get a new MSD card as well. I picked up a Samsung 64GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDXC thinking, Samsung + Samsung = perfect... not so much. It bogs my phone down when trying to access pictures. So, I was wondering what card is everyone using and/or which card would speed up my phone when accessing files on it?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
When I got my shiny new Note 4, I decided to get a new MSD card as well. I picked up a Samsung 64GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDXC thinking, Samsung + Samsung = perfect... not so much. It bogs my phone down when trying to access pictures. So, I was wondering what card is everyone using and/or which card would speed up my phone when accessing files on it?

Something is amiss. I use a 128GB Samsung EVO card with over 1000 pics in multiple folders and access is extremely fast. I use QuickPic as a viewer.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My Sandisk card went flakey on me and I replaced it with the 128gb Samsung evo. In my opinion, the Samsung is much much better, and faster. I have read that there are a lot of fakes out there? Is it possible that you might not have a genuine Samsung micro SD card?

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I use Samsung 64gb EVO, no problems or slowdowns here. But you have to be so careful who you buy it from, there are too many fakes out there, including third party sellers on Amazon.

Last edited:

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I don't have that much pictures (no videos, no music) on my Samsung PRO 32GB microSDHC. Don't notice any "bog" issues. But I do have the S.PRO64GB.microSDXC coming in tomorrow though. Looking forward to it.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I use Samsung 64gb EVO, no problems or slowdowns here. But you have to be so careful who you buy it from, there are too many fakes out there, including third party sellers of Amazon.

Same here. Same card and no problems. I price matched at Best Buy, but if you do buy from amazon don't buy from whoever is the lowest price. By from the Amazon dealer. It is possible you just got a bad card too. It happens regardless of the brand or who you buy from. A certain percentage are going to be bad. I would return it and get a new card.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Something is amiss. I use a 128GB Samsung EVO card with over 1000 pics in multiple folders and access is extremely fast. I use QuickPic as a viewer.

When I take the card out I can access pics just fine. Put the card back in and it slows down again.

My Sandisk card went flakey on me and I replaced it with the 128gb Samsung evo. In my opinion, the Samsung is much much better, and faster. I have read that there are a lot of fakes out there? Is it possible that you might not have a genuine Samsung micro SD card?

I bought it from Wal-Mart, so I would guess it's the real deal. However, apparently there are several levels of quality in this card and I got mid-grade (if you will).

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Back so soon? Yes, because I downloaded the app and have no idea what I'm looking at :) What do I do with the app to tell me/you anything?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Open the app and tap on "SD Card" which indicates your external card (it should show something over 60GB in size). A pop-up menu comes up and select "Longer - default" and it should run the test.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Read 40.04MB/s - Write 19.15MB/s

Is that what I'm looking for?

Yes, and those are good numbers. On my 128GB Samsung EVO I get 36.51 read and and 11.31 write. So it would seem to indicate that your card is not at fault.

When you say it seems to bog your phone down when you access your pictures, what exactly are you doing? What app are you using and where are the pictures stored? What do you mean by bog down? And it occurs only if the card is inserted?

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Yes, and those are good numbers. On my 128GB Samsung EVO I get 36.51 read and and 11.31 write. So it would seem to indicate that your card is not at fault.

When you say it seems to bog your phone down when you access your pictures, what exactly are you doing? What app are you using and where are the pictures stored? What do you mean by bog down? And it occurs only if the card is inserted?

When I take a picture and then want to view it, it can be a 2 - 4 second delay before I see the image. Going to the gallery is about a 2 second delay between click and open. These are terrible times (I guess), but when I just took a picture and want to share with someone, 4 seconds feels for ever.

What app, the default camera/gallery app.

Yes, when I remove my card, the clicks are pretty much instant. Put the card back in and there is a lag. It may very well be that I got a faulty card - I'm pretty sure I pitched the receipt, but that's how it goes :)

I have the same card and read and write speeds sound spot on. Too many images maybe?

Nah, I keep my images pretty clean (re: size). When it gets to 100+ I tend to pull them off.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Try going into the camera app Settings - Storage Location - is it set to Device or Memory Card? Set it to Device if it isn't already.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I had a 32gb PNY class 10 card, served me well for about 13 months and then died, along with numerous files!
I had been using a Toshiba 32gb class 10 in another device with no issues so I just bought another for my Note 3 and now my Note 4, no issues with either as yet.

Posted via the Android Central App

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
When I take a picture and then want to view it, it can be a 2 - 4 second delay before I see the image. Going to the gallery is about a 2 second delay between click and open. These are terrible times (I guess), but when I just took a picture and want to share with someone, 4 seconds feels for ever.

What app, the default camera/gallery app.

Yes, when I remove my card, the clicks are pretty much instant. Put the card back in and there is a lag. It may very well be that I got a faulty card - I'm pretty sure I pitched the receipt, but that's how it goes :)

Nah, I keep my images pretty clean (re: size). When it gets to 100+ I tend to pull them off.

Try clearing your cache as well. It could be that the cache for your media files is getting corrupt.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to offend but, why? (honest question)

I would prefer to store images/videos on my external SD.

Sounds like you're seeing the same camera lag others have reported (search the forum). Guess you could try a new card, the Samsung Pro, which is faster than what you are currently using.