06-07-2015 06:07 PM
54 123
tools
    I went from an S4 to the Note 4 and couldn't be happier. Battery life has been considerably better - I used to have to plug in all the time with the S4 and swap batteries constantly when I was on the road. With the Note 4, I'm usually still at like 60% by dinner time whereas the S4 would be at like20 with similar use and I've never had to swap batteries on the road with heavy use. Got used to the bigger size quickly and love the better multi-tasking. S4 seems very tiny now. Note 4 will get Android M soon enough. Note 5 may end up like the S5 with non removable back so less flexible.
    05-29-2015 07:11 PM
    How is the fingerprint scanner? Works easily?
    05-30-2015 03:42 PM
    How is the fingerprint scanner? Works easily?
    I wouldn't get too caught up on the fingerprint sensor. It's cool and works well, but when I bought my S5, I secured my phone with my fingerprint for about a week or 2 before I got sick of it. It's just a PITA to use sometimes, especially if you need to unlock your phone and only have 1 free hand.

But if it's really a big selling point for you, I'd say it works just fine.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-05-2015 02:53 AM
    I wouldn't get too caught up on the fingerprint sensor. It's cool and works well, but when I bought my S5, I secured my phone with my fingerprint for about a week or 2 before I got sick of it. It's just a PITA to use sometimes, especially if you need to unlock your phone and only have 1 free hand.

But if it's really a big selling point for you, I'd say it works just fine.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Have you used the smart unlock with it? You can have trusted places, trusted devices or "on your body" and it won't lock, you just swipe it. Then when you leave the place or disconnect the device or put your phone down, it will lock.
    06-05-2015 07:41 AM
    Hi droidntn !
    I just came from a Rooted S4, and am LOVING my Note 4 (NOT Rooted)!!

Battery life is WAY better, and the WiFi and Cell connections are too. As a Tech, I'll tell you that Samsung has a lot more real estate in the Note 4 to play with for the Antennas, so it's kinda a given you'll get better reception on all wireless items.

I played with the Fingerprint lock for a bit, but quickly disabled it as I use the phone one handed a lot of times and it had a devil of a time recognizing my thumb, even after I did the "Improve recognition" thing.

{He Shouts} WATCH OUT FOR THAT SETTING THAT WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE IF TOO MANY MISSES!!

It's in there under the Fingerprint settings, but you have to scroll down to see it (Dumb move Samsung!).

Great idea if your phone is stolen, but if you're not watching and you play with the Fingerprint stuff and don't realize it's there... ZAP one nice blank phone!!
    If, like me, you go through a full day or more to get your stuff transferred and setup the way you like it and then lose it all ... I can hear the screams from here. Glad I saw it, since it had a REALLY hard time unlocking. I would have hit 15 tries, but used the password 1st. WHEW!

As far as Note 4 or 5 ; The 4 is such a beastly good device I took the plunge. Glad I did. My Wife pointed out to me years ago when I was in the same situation you're in - "There's ALWAYS going to be a new Tech just over the horizon. Stop messing around and go for it!" I now wait two generations between phones, wait for the desired device to start down in price, then jump.

Another reason I jumped was the BestBuy had a sale for $199 with a 2 year contract with Verizon (I was T-Mobile on the S4). When we bought two Note 4's and they rang it up they were $99 each!! Yeah, you're locked for two years, but the same scene occurs if you finance the phone with Sprint or T-Mobile ...

Don't know if you're Rooted, but I used My Backup Pro ($5 in the Play Store) to WIRELESSLY transfer using the Migrate function Root -> Non Root. Worked flawlessly, the easiest transfer I've EVER had. I did have to re Sync my Swype keyboard (which was an adventure) and upgrade my Business Calendar Pro to version 2, but the new version allows settings & Template transfers which greatly simplified my most used App.

Personally, why wait? The guy at BestBuy says he doesn't see the sale going away since they want to clear stock, so I'd jump if I were you...! IMHO.

Best of Luck!
    PuterPro
    droidntn likes this.
    06-05-2015 11:19 AM
    Have you used the smart unlock with it? You can have trusted places, trusted devices or "on your body" and it won't lock, you just swipe it. Then when you leave the place or disconnect the device or put your phone down, it will lock.
    That sounds cool, I'll have to check that out, thanks for the tip.

Keeping up with this Tech suff sometimes feels like running in Quicksand! About the time I feel I've gained enough to be an expert on a tech item, they CHANGE it all! LOL!

Just starting with my Note 4, so I've got a lot to checkout.

I also have a Surface Pro 3 tablet / laptop. I just found out MS released a OneNote app for Android. I installed it on my Note 4 and will check out how it works for going back & forth to the Surface. My first quick play with it seemed like it was not bad.

So many Apps, so little time ...

PuterPro
    06-05-2015 11:28 AM
    That sounds cool, I'll have to check that out, thanks for the tip.

Keeping up with this Tech suff sometimes feels like running in Quicksand! About the time I feel I've gained enough to be an expert on a tech item, they CHANGE it all! LOL!

Just starting with my Note 4, so I've got a lot to checkout.

I also have a Surface Pro 3 tablet / laptop. I just found out MS released a OneNote app for Android. I installed it on my Note 4 and will check out how it works for going back & forth to the Surface. My first quick play with it seemed like it was not bad.

So many Apps, so little time ...

PuterPro
    Yeah I like the Smart Lock. It stays unlocked at home and when I get down the street, it is locked without me having to turn it off and on.
    06-05-2015 11:30 AM
    Thanks for the heads up on smart lock. I just came over from a moto x , and that was one of the features that I missed. ( trusted device).
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    06-05-2015 12:13 PM
    I did get the phone 2 days ago and am very happy with it.
    My fingerprint scanner works great, I'm happy to report. I actually did all of the swipes in setup exactly like I hold the phone. On the desk, index flat. Walking down the hall, hold one handed and it's kind of a sideways thumb swipe.
    I'd say 9 out of 10 times mine does ok with the fingerprint.
    My only grumble is the battery life is better, a lot better than my S4, but it's not stellar like I was expecting and reading about. My coworker has the same phone, same stuff on it mostly and she gets twice the battery life I do.
    Ultra Power saving can get me through the day in a pinch though.
    I really like that mode. It turns the smartphone into a dumb phone when you reaally don't need all the smartphone stuff. Saves a LOT of battery. hardly uses any at all when your just not in need of all of the smartphone bells and whistles. Then quickly comes back to smartphone.
    06-05-2015 12:24 PM
    I did get the phone 2 days ago and am very happy with it.
    My fingerprint scanner works great, I'm happy to report. I actually did all of the swipes in setup exactly like I hold the phone. On the desk, index flat. Walking down the hall, hold one handed and it's kind of a sideways thumb swipe.
    I'd say 9 out of 10 times mine does ok with the fingerprint.
    My only grumble is the battery life is better, a lot better than my S4, but it's not stellar like I was expecting and reading about. My coworker has the same phone, same stuff on it mostly and she gets twice the battery life I do.
    Ultra Power saving can get me through the day in a pinch though.
    I really like that mode. It turns the smartphone into a dumb phone when you reaally don't need all the smartphone stuff. Saves a LOT of battery. hardly uses any at all when your just not in need of all of the smartphone bells and whistles. Then quickly comes back to smartphone.
    I registered two fingerprints of the same finger and mine works basically every time. Once in a blue moon I will have to scan twice.
    PuterPro likes this.
    06-05-2015 12:39 PM
    Totally unaware of that feature, but that sounds more like something I could get into. With the "on your body" setting, does the phone have be physically in your hand or will that work if I have the phone in my pocket or on a belt clip?
    06-05-2015 12:40 PM
    Totally unaware of that feature, but that sounds more like something I could get into. With the "on your body" setting, does the phone have be physically in your hand or will that work if I have the phone in my pocket or on a belt clip?
    I haven't tried that one yet, but it says carrying in your hand, pocket or purse, so I would think belt clip also. It is under security and it is the trust agents (turns on smart lock) and then smart lock to choose which features to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Thinking of upgrading from my ole S4-1433526343685.jpg  
    millerwa76 likes this.
    06-05-2015 12:45 PM
    I haven't tried that one yet, but it says carrying in your hand, pocket or purse, so I would think belt clip also. It is under security and it is the trust agents (turns on smart lock) and then smart lock to choose which features to use.
    Got it set up, so I'll see how it works over the next couple of days. Thanks.
    06-05-2015 12:55 PM
    Got it set up, so I'll see how it works over the next couple of days. Thanks.
    Let me know how the body one works. I've thought about that because I always put my phone in my pocket, rarely in my purse.
    06-05-2015 12:57 PM
    Let me know how the body one works. I've thought about that because I always put my phone in my pocket, rarely in my purse.
    So far, it's not working well at all.....in any aspect. I set my home location so that when the phone locks while I'm at home, it shouldn't require a finger scan to unlock, but several times this evening I've had to unlock by scanning my finger. While I was at work earlier today and the phone was in my pocket, it seemed to be about a 50/50 split when I'd pull the phone out to unlock it. Sometimes I needed to swipe my finger across the scanner, sometimes I didn't.
    06-06-2015 01:49 AM
    So far, it's not working well at all.....in any aspect. I set my home location so that when the phone locks while I'm at home, it shouldn't require a finger scan to unlock, but several times this evening I've had to unlock by scanning my finger. While I was at work earlier today and the phone was in my pocket, it seemed to be about a 50/50 split when I'd pull the phone out to unlock it. Sometimes I needed to swipe my finger across the scanner, sometimes I didn't.
    Are you using Nova launcher or another launcher.?
    06-06-2015 05:00 AM
    Are you using Nova launcher or another launcher.?
    Yup, Nova.
    06-06-2015 09:35 AM
    Yup, Nova.
    I have been noticing an issue with Nova the last couple of days also. I sent them an email last night, mentioning this issue. I would suggest you do also.

This has to be a Nova issue, mine was perfect before.
    millerwa76 likes this.
    06-06-2015 09:38 AM
    I have been noticing an issue with Nova the last couple of days also. I sent them an email last night, mentioning this issue. I would suggest you do also.

This has to be a Nova issue, mine was perfect before.
    That figures. I just went to disable the fingerprint lock and I actually had to leave Nova and go back into TW to do it because the phone would kind of freeze up when I tried going into Fingerprint Settings.

Not a big deal to me because I haven't had any kind of security on my phone for over a year anyway. The only time I really "lose sight" of my phone is when I'm at home. When I'm out of the house, it's either in my hand, in my pocket, or on my desk.....and when I leave my desk, I take it with me every time.
    06-06-2015 10:31 AM
    Nova needs to get the Smart Lock working correctly. That is a feature that will be in the future updates.
    06-06-2015 10:41 AM
    Maybe I'll try it again after they get the kinks worked out.
    06-06-2015 11:17 AM
    Maybe I'll try it again after they get the kinks worked out.
    Without Nova, it is working great. Please send an email to Nova support though telling them your Smart Lock isn't working correctly with Nova. More reports, quicker it is resolved.
    06-06-2015 11:19 AM
    Without Nova, it is working great. Please send an email to Nova support though telling them your Smart Lock isn't working correctly with Nova. More reports, quicker it is resolved.
    I use smart lock as well with Nova. I have not had any issues that I noticed.

Just so that I understand. Are you saying that when you are in a "trusted place" you have to use the Fingerprint scanner at times instead of just swiping to unlock? I have not had this happen so I just want to be sure I'm understanding. Thank you.

Sent from my Note 4
    06-06-2015 08:33 PM
    I use smart lock as well with Nova. I have not had any issues that I noticed.

Just so that I understand. Are you saying that when you are in a "trusted place" you have to use the Fingerprint scanner at times instead of just swiping to unlock? I have not had this happen so I just want to be sure I'm understanding. Thank you.

Sent from my Note 4
    Yup, exactly what has happened. It isn't all the time, but it is enough for me to notice.
    06-06-2015 08:37 PM
    Yup, exactly what has happened. It isn't all the time, but it is enough for me to notice.
    Did it start recently? After the last Nova update?

Sent from my Note 4
    06-06-2015 08:38 PM
54 123