Thinking of upgrading from my ole S4

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So far, it's not working well at all.....in any aspect. I set my home location so that when the phone locks while I'm at home, it shouldn't require a finger scan to unlock, but several times this evening I've had to unlock by scanning my finger. While I was at work earlier today and the phone was in my pocket, it seemed to be about a 50/50 split when I'd pull the phone out to unlock it. Sometimes I needed to swipe my finger across the scanner, sometimes I didn't. :-\
Are you using Nova launcher or another launcher.?

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I have been noticing an issue with Nova the last couple of days also. I sent them an email last night, mentioning this issue. I would suggest you do also.

This has to be a Nova issue, mine was perfect before.

That figures. I just went to disable the fingerprint lock and I actually had to leave Nova and go back into TW to do it because the phone would kind of freeze up when I tried going into Fingerprint Settings.

Not a big deal to me because I haven't had any kind of security on my phone for over a year anyway. The only time I really "lose sight" of my phone is when I'm at home. When I'm out of the house, it's either in my hand, in my pocket, or on my desk.....and when I leave my desk, I take it with me every time.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Without Nova, it is working great. Please send an email to Nova support though telling them your Smart Lock isn't working correctly with Nova. More reports, quicker it is resolved.

I use smart lock as well with Nova. I have not had any issues that I noticed.

Just so that I understand. Are you saying that when you are in a "trusted place" you have to use the Fingerprint scanner at times instead of just swiping to unlock? I have not had this happen so I just want to be sure I'm understanding. Thank you.

Sent from my Note 4

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I use smart lock as well with Nova. I have not had any issues that I noticed.

Just so that I understand. Are you saying that when you are in a "trusted place" you have to use the Fingerprint scanner at times instead of just swiping to unlock? I have not had this happen so I just want to be sure I'm understanding. Thank you.

Sent from my Note 4

Yup, exactly what has happened. It isn't all the time, but it is enough for me to notice.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I just installed Nova a couple of days ago and it updated not long after I installed, so I can't say if it was happening before the update.

Oh OK. Interesting. I have used Nova for years. They do a good job of updating and listening to users. I'm sure they will fix it.

Sent from my Note 4

PuterPro

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear you took the plunge! Enjoy your new Note 4!!
As far as Battery life, there's DOZENS of threads around, but the one that dramatically did it for me was running an App from a well respected Developer over on XDA named gatesjunior who wrote a De-bloater Tool. This can turn off a lot of the Bloatware even if you're not Rooted (or remove it with Root).

The cool thing is its all reversible.

IF YOU USE THIS TOOL WRONG, LIKE ANY TOOL IT CAN CAUSE DAMAGE. A KNIFE CAN CUT YOU OR DO LIFE SAVING SURGERY.

Now that the disclaimers are out of the way, it's really easy to use and there are a number of De-bloating Guides for the Note 4 out there. They'll tell you what's safe and not to turn off.

I don't have enough points to post links but there's a YouTube on it, just search for "Best Debloater Tool". It works fine on Lollypop as well, if you've gotten the updates.

One other group of tips from one new owner to another. The Boards are full of people complaining of Lag on the Note 4. After TONS of reading, here's four tips to help prevent it:

1. Turn off the Double Click to start S-Voice (Go to S-Voice settings and uncheck it)
2. Disable the App TalkBack
3. Turn off Transition effect (Long press blank spot on home screen, Click Home Screen Settings and turn Transitions to None) They may look cool but they slow the phone. I'd rather have fast, myself. LOL. YMMV
4. Clear the System Cache (NOT THE SAME AS THE APP CACHE IN SETTINGS!) (No root needed) Takes about 2 minutes. Many write ups on how, I won't repeat them here. Some people do it frequently, seems to help Lag a bunch, and it only takes a minute or two.

That should keep your phone flying. Oh yeah, don't know if you're planning on Rooting later, but some are suggesting the upcoming 5.1 update may lock us out from doing that, and so are suggesting turning OFF Auto System updates. The Deboater tool will let you do that too. You can always turn it back on later.
@Kelly Kearns : Thanks for the tips. You rock!
I guess I'll have to re-try the Fingerprint scanner. I had so many things going on, perhaps I didn't give enough time. I like the idea of recording two of the SAME finger, that’s brilliant!

The Smart Lock was not obvious. Trust agents was greyed out.

For others, I'll give the steps:

1. You must FIRST go to Settings > Lock screen > and choose a Lock method.
2. NOW you can go to Settings > Security > Scroll Down to Trust Agents > Turn on Smart Lock (Google)
3. Go BACK 1 Screen (Security) and a new item appears AT THE BOTTOM called Smart Lock
3. Go into Smart Lock and choose settings. Note, for "Trusted Places" to work you must have GPS on (Personally, I never do, I think it's intrusive from a security standpoint, but THAT's a whole discussion in itself as it disables a bunch of useful stuff like Trusted Places and the ability to track down a lost device and more ...!)

I do like the "On-Body detection", that's cool!

Peace Out All!
PuterPro