To Note4, or not to Note4, that is the question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Tried it all, I gave up :)

You can roll back to KitKat if you like (back up all your data first as it wipes the device). See this thread at XDA: [How To] Roll back to KK 4.4.4 from Lollipop… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | XDA Forums

Then after rolling back disable the OTA updater to prevent the Lollipop update from trying to install again. See my post here (root not needed): http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...e-4-i-didn-t-like-lollipop-2.html#post4439730

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Note 4 won't go down until the Note 5 come out. You will find sales here and there, that already happens now.

I will say that I remember the Note 3 going on sale before the Note 4 was released and that being the case, it would make sense that the Note 4 would go on sale around the same time. I can also see Samsung discount its phones around the time that the new iPhone is released to try and capture some sales.

For me, the bottom line is I wouldn't pay full retail for a cell phone that came out over 6 months ago when you consider a new version of that phone is likely due out within the year. Compound that by the fact that Lollipop isn't as fluid on the Note 4 that Kit Kat was on the Note 3 and I couldn't recommend the Note 4 to anyone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I will say that I remember the Note 3 going on sale before the Note 4 was released and that being the case, it would make sense that the Note 4 would go on sale around the same time. I can also see Samsung discount its phones around the time that the new iPhone is released to try and capture some sales.

For me, the bottom line is I wouldn't pay full retail for a cell phone that came out over 6 months ago when you consider a new version of that phone is likely due out within the year. Compound that by the fact that Lollipop isn't as fluid on the Note 4 that Kit Kat was on the Note 3 and I couldn't recommend the Note 4 to anyone.

Lollipop on the Note 4 is not an issue for the majority of users. You just hear about the problems here.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Lollipop on the Note 4 is not an issue for the majority of users. You just hear about the problems here.

In my case I'm actually experiencing the problems first hand. I've generated more bug reports in the past few months of Lollipop than I have with the 1 year I had with my Note 3. I'm holding out for the update that's supposed to fix the memory leak in hopes that it'll help stabilize the entire phone.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I Have had the Note 4 since last November. It runs perfectly smooth on KitKat 4.4.4 (of course glitches happen in different apps on all phones from time to time) just as I think people have issues with apps that were not optimized/ready for Lollipop.

I do have the Lollipop update waiting on my phone to be installed and I have been deferring it for over 3 weeks now, as I just don't want it just yet or perhaps at all! I like a lot of features I have heard it changed or took away...... I have heard others say that eventually it will just install after so many rejections, but I am hoping that does not happen!

I absolutely LOVE my Note 4!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
In my case I'm actually experiencing the problems first hand. I've generated more bug reports in the past few months of Lollipop than I have with the 1 year I had with my Note 3. I'm holding out for the update that's supposed to fix the memory leak in hopes that it'll help stabilize the entire phone.

Yes, some people are experiencing issues, it just isn't the majority of people. I also see more complaints on Verizon Note 4's than any other.

In a format like this, you are mainly going to see the people experiencing problems. Also while some problems are actual known issues, many problems are solved with a cache wipe or a reset.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I Have had the Note 4 since last November. It runs perfectly smooth on KitKat 4.4.4 (of course glitches happen in different apps on all phones from time to time) just as I think people have issues with apps that were not optimized/ready for Lollipop.

I do have the Lollipop update waiting on my phone to be installed and I have been deferring it for over 3 weeks now, as I just don't want it just yet or perhaps at all! I like a lot of features I have heard it changed or took away...... I have heard others say that eventually it will just install after so many rejections, but I am hoping that does not happen!

I absolutely LOVE my Note 4!

Most will go ahead and eventually install. Sprint is the only one I've seen that has been able to turn off the updater.

My phone runs better on Lollipop than it did on KitKat.

eljeffe58

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Best phone and OS (5.0.1)I have ever had. Mine operates more seamlessly as any electronic product I've ever owned. It's also a powerhouse. I have a note edge.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I generally do not have battery issues with my Note 4 (VZW, Lollipop) except when updating apps. For whatever reason, that activity burns through battery like nothing else.

Other app usage, including GPS golf application (SkyDroid), doesn't create an issue for me. I can finish 18 holes and use no more than 30% battery, which is outstanding.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Can you please provide a link for the Note 4 Lollipop Memory Leak? Saw a few generic references for ("Note 4 Lollipop memory leak") pointing to Android 5.0 and memory leak, but not one for Note 4 and Lollipop. I'm on Verizon with 5.0.1 if that helps to narrow it down.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday and picked up a Note 4 (posting from it now). Obviously I'm still learning how to use it but so far I like it. My not-so-young eyes and not-so-small fingers are really liking the large screen.

I'm not crazy about the UI, though. I'm not sure if it's because of TouchWiz or Lollipop, but the whole thing looks like a cartoon, which kinda detracts from the whole tool-vs-toy idea.

Battery life treated me well today. It wasn't a heavy day, but I'm at 2:45 screen-on time and I've got 55% battery remaining. That's a step back from my Razr Maxx HD, but it'll probably work for me.

I did step outside in the bright sun today and wow, the screen auto brightened and was quite easy to read, WAY better than my previous phones.

So far no OS lockups, but I've had a couple apps misbehave (most notably Firefox).

Time will tell if I stick with it. 2 colleagues at work just got LG G4s so I'll be keeping an eye on those, too.

Thanks for all the advice.

-- Rob

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Can you please provide a link for the Note 4 Lollipop Memory Leak? Saw a few generic references for ("Note 4 Lollipop memory leak") pointing to Android 5.0 and memory leak, but not one for Note 4 and Lollipop. I'm on Verizon with 5.0.1 if that helps to narrow it down.

Note 4 Lollipop Memory Leak

The articles above mention that there are fixes but I haven't attempted to test those fixes as I would prefer a fix directly from Google. I'm also on Verizon and I've seen instances of the leak when running apps. What I find most annoying is the slight hiccup I see when I've closed something out and the device stumbles in an attempt to close out what I've already apparently closed out of.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Nice, haven't seen that auto Google search site before. The search string is the same one that I used for a manual Google search. I'll watch my Note 4 more carefully to see if I can perceive anything like a leak.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I pulled the trigger yesterday and picked up a Note 4 (posting from it now). Obviously I'm still learning how to use it but so far I like it. My not-so-young eyes and not-so-small fingers are really liking the large screen.

I'm not crazy about the UI, though. I'm not sure if it's because of TouchWiz or Lollipop, but the whole thing looks like a cartoon, which kinda detracts from the whole tool-vs-toy idea.

Battery life treated me well today. It wasn't a heavy day, but I'm at 2:45 screen-on time and I've got 55% battery remaining. That's a step back from my Razr Maxx HD, but it'll probably work for me.

I did step outside in the bright sun today and wow, the screen auto brightened and was quite easy to read, WAY better than my previous phones.

So far no OS lockups, but I've had a couple apps misbehave (most notably Firefox).

Time will tell if I stick with it. 2 colleagues at work just got LG G4s so I'll be keeping an eye on those, too.

Thanks for all the advice.

-- Rob

Glad you are enjoying the Note 4. I put Nova Launcher on all my phones. I'm not a fan of TouchWiz either. Some prefer Google Launcher too. Check both out. Either one is better than TouchWiz.

Sent from my Note 4

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Nice, haven't seen that auto Google search site before. The search string is the same one that I used for a manual Google search. I'll watch my Note 4 more carefully to see if I can perceive anything like a leak.

haha, really? I like "LMGTFY" as it's a sarcastic way of directing someone to Google Searches (I'm guessing you didn't see the box that says, "Now was that so hard?" :p )

I'm still convinced that there are better phones out there than the Note 4. I'd recommend the S6 and the HTC One M9 at this point.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
haha, really? I like "LMGTFY" as it's a sarcastic way of directing someone to Google Searches (I'm guessing you didn't see the box that says, "Now was that so hard?" :p )

I'm still convinced that there are better phones out there than the Note 4. I'd recommend the S6 and the HTC One M9 at this point.

Just a reminder, telling people to go search is frowned upon. Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Telling someone to "Search" - Do not reply to a question by telling someone to do a search. Kindly suggest a search link, answer their question, or feel free not to respond.

I get where you're going with it, but it is looked as as more akin to trolling than productive help.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Just a reminder, telling people to go search is frowned upon. Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Telling someone to "Search" - Do not reply to a question by telling someone to do a search. Kindly suggest a search link, answer their question, or feel free not to respond.

I get where you're going with it, but it is looked as as more akin to trolling than productive help.

Technically, I provided the search for them, as he pointed out, he saw it "auto-populate". But while we're discussing this, wouldn't directing someone to a forum rule be comparable to my post? If anything, at least my post was topical, and thanked by the poster, whereas I don't suspect many "Do a search man!" posts would be thanked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz