Note 4 and 5.1.1 Update end of July?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, if Samsung does the staged roll out and the US carriers have to approve US Note 4 owners most likely will not see this until the 4th quarter if that soon. I do hope I am wrong.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, if Samsung does the staged roll out and the US carriers have to approve US Note 4 owners most likely will not see this until the 4th quarter if that soon. I do hope I am wrong.
They are getting quicker. They rolled out lollipop for the S5 in December, it would have been here for AT&T in January. They had some issues in testing and we got it in March.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost afraid of another update. I got lucky with lollipop, none of the problems that others experienced. Battery life is still great.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
That's good news. The GSMArena story that cites the Sammobile report indicated the update would be for "bug fixes and performance improvements".

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just wish Sammy hadn't taken away the multiuser support in Lollipop. I'd love to have an entirely separate account on my phone for my corporate email. That way I could use the fingerprint reader to secure my regular account, and a password to check corporate stuff.

Maybe they'll finally put that in with 5.1.x?

etdoner

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Do you think Samsung will give us the overhauled tw in gs6 with 5.1.1?

Like themes feature, new camera api, users, uninstallable bloat etc.

etdoner

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Sad.

Design of some areas of tw is very old fashioned. Especially incoming and outgoing calls screen is downright disgusting. Changing blacks with whites ist a solution IMO. Just look how apple implemented a modern looking and clutter free call interface.

I was hoping at least with themes it could be bearable.

I am ready to flash cyanogen or whatever stock os whenever it is available for exynos chipsets.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Sammobile has always been very reliable concerning updates.

"According to our highly placed sources, Samsung is planning to release Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update to the Galaxy Note 4 by the end of July. As usual, we will be the first ones to show you the upcoming ROM running on the actual device."

The entire article:

Exclusive: Samsung to start rolling out Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update to Galaxy Note 4 by the end of July - SamMobile

You realize carriers have to test the ROM before they release it, and if for whatever reason there is an issue with it they'll need to get Samsung to fix it, then they'll retest it again...so what I am saying is there is a process to the releasing of the ROM to when it's actually pushed down to the devices by the carriers.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I hope this helps performance. If the new Nexus has a camera a third of as good as this phone, I'm getting rid of this immediately..... unless this update fixes issues and then I'm gonna contemplate sticking w/ it solely b/c of the camera and pen

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You realize carriers have to test the ROM before they release it, and if for whatever reason there is an issue with it they'll need to get Samsung to fix it, then they'll retest it again...so what I am saying is there is a process to the releasing of the ROM to when it's actually pushed down to the devices by the carriers.

Yes I know exactly how they do this. I've been upgrading my Samsung phones since Eclair.

The carriers already have 5.1 and are testing it. Samsung releases it to the carriers immediately for them to do their thing to it.

I'm not sure what it is you are trying to say.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 6 camera isn't that bad. I put a couple of comparative pics. It's a lot of saturation on the Samsung, but that's totally editable with most any app. It's not AS sharp, but it's way better than 1/3 xD haha.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know exactly how they do this. I've been upgrading my Samsung phones since Eclair.

The carriers already have 5.1 and are testing it. Samsung releases it to the carriers immediately for them to do their thing to it.

I'm not sure what it is you are trying to say.

Yes, but a carrier hardly ever releases it before Samsung themselves. Why? Because Samsung --> carrier testing (this alone takes time, as each carrier has to test multiple devices... Could take weeks. --> back to Samsung --> back to carrier --> Back to Samsung --> Back to carrier, accepted. Released to Samsung --> OK on server --> To users.

While, unlocked devices: Samsung testing, OK... --> OK to update server --> to users.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but a carrier hardly ever releases it before Samsung themselves. Why? Because Samsung --> carrier testing (this alone takes time, as each carrier has to test multiple devices... Could take weeks. --> back to Samsung --> back to carrier --> Back to Samsung --> Back to carrier, accepted. Released to Samsung --> OK on server --> To users.

While, unlocked devices: Samsung testing, OK... --> OK to update server --> to users.
Never said the carrier would release it before Samsung. Carriers get the releases out more quickly now, especially when it is a release to the current versions not and not a new firmware.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 6 camera isn't that bad. I put a couple of comparative pics. It's a lot of saturation on the Samsung, but that's totally editable with most any app. It's not AS sharp, but it's way better than 1/3 xD haha.

I was mainly speaking in low light performance. Day time pics are easy lol. Moto low light pics are awful and the N6 is no different. This camera destroys every other phone in low lights. It's extremely impressive. The Moto X was my phone before this one and it was by far the best phone I've owned w/ one huge exception. The camera blew w/ any light that wasn't sunshine or comparable settings lol.

Since LG and Huewai are supposedly making the next devices, and they went premium last year, I have no reason to believe that these won't come equipped w/ a solid shooter