Note 4 update is stuck at 24, what do I do?

Papa Buckland

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Note 4 Update

I downloaded an update this evening on my Sprint Galaxy Note 4 and the installation has been stuck on 24% for the past hour. What do I do?

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 4 Update

After seeing your post I'm downloading now and after 3 mins I'm at 50 percent

NOTE 4,, GO BIG OR GO HOME!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Just finished the install.. Make sure you have a good data connection

NOTE 4,, GO BIG OR GO HOME!

alex346

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Got a 150mb update this evening as well. .. I'm on bell mobility in canada

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

If the update is running and something happens around 25%, it should give you a "failed" notice - that's around the point at which it checks whether the phone's ever been rooted and, if it has, stops the update process. (Updating a phone that has been rooted can brick it, even after you unroot it.) It sounds as if the update code got a but corrupted, failed at the root check (even if the phone's never been rooted), then "went walkabout" - just wandered off like a 99 year old with severe Alzheimer's. (Software can do that - it;s why software is tested before it's released.)

Papa, if it's still stuck, make sure it's fully charged, then bring it into a Sprint store and ask them to help you. (Turning the phone off at this point may just leave you with a not-updated phone that's working perfectly or it may brick the phone. Let them be responsible if they brick it.)

Or, if you prefer, bring it into a Best Buy, go to the cellphone area and look for the Samsung rep. (He or she will be wearing a light blue polo shirt with a Samsung logo.) Same thing - if someone is going to brick the phone, let it be someone other than you. (Samsung, if they brick the phone, can flash the ROM to it - you'll lose your data, which you should always have backed up anyway, but you'll have a working phone.)

Pengwynguy

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I just got my Note 4 today, and when it did the security update, I got the same thing, stuck at 24%. I reasoned that the store will replace it anyway because it's brand new and so I pulled the battery and rebooted. I'm happy to say that luck was on my side and when I powered it on again, it restarted the update and progressed through to 100% quite nicely!

jonof8

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Note 4, att network, stuck at 24 percent for over an hour. Like the last person, I too pulled the battery popped it back in and it took off on the install. Thanks for the help!

Jstars

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yet another newer update ... and stuck at 24% too.

I managed to hit the right button combo (power and volume up ??) and it showed the debug screen about what was wrong that caused it to be stuck:

E:ensure_path_unmounted failed to unmount /system (Device or resource busy)

over and over and over again filling the screen.

Did the remove battery and it was able to continue.

I have some troubles with my micro-SD mounting and unmounting over and over -- not sure if the above is related to that or not.

So ... just added that extra info for future times when this happens.

J

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

What I do is pull the battery and turn phone on again. Ta da! It's what I've done past couple times I updated my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

alvaradomama

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much Pengwynguy! I was becoming concerned when it was stuck on 24% for over an hour. I found this forum and noticed I wasn't alone. Your suggestion did the trick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781