Well I decided not to use the fast charge option on my Note 4. I was very surprised. I was on 19% (non fast charge) I plugged it in at 6.30 am, it was fully charged by 7.50am.Any one else ditched fast charge? As through this forum I have heard fast charge is bad for the battery in the long term.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-03-2015 01:54 AM
    I don't think it's bad for the battery and I haven't ditched it but I do notice that any 2.0A charger gives the Note 4 a fairly good quick charger. The carry charger I use is an old Sammy 2.0A charger and my car charger is a 2.1A charger and both charge pretty quickly despite not being branded as "quick" chargers.
    06-03-2015 06:29 AM
    Well I decided not to use the fast charge option on my Note 4. I was very surprised. I was on 19% (non fast charge) I plugged it in at 6.30 am, it was fully charged by 7.50am.Any one else ditched fast charge? As through this forum I have heard fast charge is bad for the battery in the long term.

I have seen no actual evidence that fast charging is bad for the battery. There are people here that have been using fast charging since the phone came out. Also batteries are cheap, but until there is actual evidence from the battery industry that fast charging is bad, it is just conjecture.
    06-03-2015 12:45 PM
    I used fast charge when I had my Note 4 and use the Quick Charge brick on my S6. I am not worried at all about the effects on the battery as it will be minimal.
    mumfoau likes this.
    06-03-2015 12:48 PM
    I have seen no actual evidence that fast charging is bad for the battery. There are people here that have been using fast charging since the phone came out. Also batteries are cheap, but until there is actual evidence from the battery industry that fast charging is bad, it is just conjecture.
    There is: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._fast_chargers

It does lower capacity a lot faster in the long term

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk
    06-03-2015 12:49 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "fast charging" only really applies when your battery is below 50%. Once the battery is charged to 50%, the charging speed will be reduced to the same rate as a regular charger. So if you're plugging in with 19%, the only difference the fast charger will make is going from 19% to 50% at a faster rate than if you used a regular charger. Since you left your phone on the charger for 1h 20m, I'm guessing you didn't take note of how quickly your phone charged to 50%.

Here's a somewhat related question though.....will using a fast charger on a phone or tablet that does not have adaptive fast charging do any harm? I have a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet. Will I ruin the battery if I ever plug it into the charger that came with my Note 4?
    06-03-2015 12:53 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "fast charging" only really applies when your battery is below 50%. Once the battery is charged to 50%, the charging speed will be reduced to the same rate as a regular charger. So if you're plugging in with 19%, the only difference the fast charger will make is going from 19% to 50% at a faster rate than if you used a regular charger. Since you left your phone on the charger for 1h 20m, I'm guessing you didn't take note of how quickly your phone charged to 50%.

Here's a somewhat related question though.....will using a fast charger on a phone or tablet that does not have adaptive fast charging do any harm? I have a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet. Will I ruin the battery if I ever plug it into the charger that came with my Note 4?
    Whenever possible you should use the OEM charger, but using a charger with higher amperage will not do anything since the circuit that controls current is on the device itself. The device cannot draw more than it can draw. So a 2.1A charger on a device that charges at 1A will charge at 1A.
    millerwa76 and UJ95x like this.
    06-03-2015 01:00 PM
    There is: Fast and Ultra-fast Chargers - Battery University

It does lower capacity a lot faster in the long term

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk
    If the long term is measured in many years, maybe. In phones, we're taking about an unnoticeable difference UNLESS your phone sucks and the QC technology is causing excessive heat. If that's the case, heat is bad.
    06-03-2015 01:01 PM
    On non fast charge today, as I said earlier it was charged at 7.50am this morning. I have downloaded a full HD movie, watched live horse racing. Really heavy usage today. I am very happy to say at 9.10pm,battery at 45%. I am very happy about battery life. I will stick to the non fast charge for now. It suits me ☺👌

06-03-2015 03:11 PM
    will using a fast charger on a phone or tablet that does not have adaptive fast charging do any harm? I have a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet.
    No. I do it all the time with devices that can only draw 1A @ 5V.

Without a QuickCharge device on the other side, your Samsung fast charger will put out 5V. Devices draw power at any rate they desire, up to the charger's max of about 2A.

With a QuickCharge device on the other side, the two devices negotiate an increase in voltage to 9V or 12V (the Samsung charger doesn't support 12V, but it is possible in the QuickCharge spec).

If you plugged a non-QuickCharge device into a QuickCharge charger and somehow the charger flaked out and sent 9V or 12V down the wire, it is possible (especially at 12V) the device being charged would be damaged. As long as you avoid the $0.95 + $12 shipping "SPARKY MAGIC SUPER FASTER CHARGERS FOR THE CELL PHONE OR OTHER TABLETS USAGE NOT FOR THE OTHER USES COMES WITH THE FREE STYLUS" off eBayBaba, that's just not very likely.
    millerwa76 likes this.
    06-03-2015 04:33 PM