Photos are corrupt after transfer, what should I do?

A

AC Question

Photos are corrupt after transfer

When I transfer photos from my Note 4 to my laptop (Newer Dell running Windows 8), The files become corrupt and won't open in Windows. They open fine on the Note but I'd rather off load them onto the laptop. I use drag and drop to move the files. I am using a USB 3.0 cable in a USB 3.0 port for the transfers also.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Photos are corrupt after transfer

Welcome to Android Central! Where are the photos stored on the phone? Internal Storage or microSD?

wkbmarine

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

The photos in question are stored on the phone's internal storage. But I get the same problem even with pictures on the external card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I was expecting them all to be on the microSD, since files are more likely to become corrupt there.

Sounds silly, but try using a USB 2.0 cable.

wkbmarine

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I've tried usb 3.0, USB 2.0, AirDroid, uploading to different cloud sources and back down.... But nothing works. At least half of the files will be corrupted. If I send them back to the phone, they work fine. It's really weird

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

They're jpgs, right? Are they modified by the camera software at all, or plain unedited photos?

wkbmarine

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I've had this issue with multiple different file types. None have been modified. Just pictures I download, then send to my laptop

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's very strange. Does it work on other Windows computers?

Let me see if any of the rest of our crew has any good ideas.

wkbmarine

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I tried to transfer the files using a different computer, but none of the files worked at all on that one. So, that didn't really help me troubleshoot much. I looked at file sizes and it doesn't seem to correlate with the lack of transfer. I've got some big files and some smaller ones. It seems to be random. But using different cables and/or ports on my laptop yields the same files being corrupted. I can view the files using my laptop (files are on phone but connected with cable), but after transfer, the files aren't viewable on laptop. It's really odd

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Have you updated Samsung drivers for the PC? Have you tried a PC program called Kies?

From the ZenFone 2.
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

Just out of curiosity, how are you using a 3.0 cable? My Note 4 only has a port for 2.0....which irked me a little since my S5 had the 3.0 cable and now I've got no use for that particular cable.

Btw, free micro usb 3.0 cable to anyone who wants it. PM if interested.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy