Leaving in ultra power saving mode?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I read where people are getting days of one charge on their note 4.
Are those people leaving in the ultra power saving mode to get days?
Or regular mode?
Are they even using the device?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think its possible. Just turned on the Ultra Power Saving mode and the screenshot shows the estimated Standby time. When I use my Note 4, I don't have Power Saving mode enabled, have Bluetooth on and Location Services at high (workday).

In general I can take it off charger around 0600, and put the Note 4 back on charger at 2230 with around 50% or more remaining battery life. Some days its 70%, others its 40% - just depends on how much screen time I have, cell signal strength in various locations, apps that are used, etc.

Screenshot_2015-06-06-10-17-46.jpg

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I read where people are getting days of one charge on their note 4.
Are those people leaving in the ultra power saving mode to get days?
Or regular mode?
Are they even using the device?

Battery usage is objective.

I could do a lot to get days out of my Note, like barely use it and remove most apps and completely shut down location on everything.

Of course, if I do that, I might as well use a cheap flip phone.

Use your phone to your fullest that you want. Tweak things for better battery, I do, try not to compare your battery life to another because there is no way both of you use the phone the same way.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I too believe in using my Note 4 as I need and want to use it. No matter how you use it you will have to recharge the battery at some point. So when it needs a recharge, recharge or swap batteries. Then continue with your life style, not the batteries life style. :-!

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I probably get crappy battery life in comparison to most people, but I think that's because I use quite a few widgets. I have a sports ticker that updates like every 10 seconds, another for sports news, another for regular news (both update hourly), my weather widget updates every 3 hours, I have 2 calendar widgets (1 personal, 1 work), a TripIt widget, Google Keep, and 2 switch widgets. What can I say? I like widgets. Needless to say, I've never gone a full day without needing a recharge....usually about 3/4 of the way through my day.

For me, ultra power saving mode only comes into play once I hit 10% remaining battery and don't have a power source nearby......like when I was flying last week and spent a little too much time playing games that I drained the battery down to 10% and still had an hour left on my flight.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I removed some pre-installed widgets and automatically noticed a difference in battery.
Also, I work in the basement of a hospital and get hardly any signal sometimes. So, it's searching, searching all day. That's a drain for sure. I need contact so when it's doing that sometimes I drop it into Ultra power saving and it hardly drains any at all, I get texts, phone and FB..all that is required....very cool and keeps the battery juiced up nicely till I get off work and get a better signal to pop it back into normal mode..
That said, it's still MUCH better, not comparable, to the battery drain on my S4.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I removed some pre-installed widgets and automatically noticed a difference in battery.
Also, I work in the basement of a hospital and get hardly any signal sometimes. So, it's searching, searching all day. That's a drain for sure. I need contact so when it's doing that sometimes I drop it into Ultra power saving and it hardly drains any at all, I get texts, phone and FB..all that is required....very cool and keeps the battery juiced up nicely till I get off work and get a better signal to pop it back into normal mode..
That said, it's still MUCH better, not comparable, to the battery drain on my S4.

I use 5 pages of widgets, I just control their update time. I get great battery time.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 5 hours of screen time right now, didn't have my phone charging overnight.

You can post some screenshots and we might can help you tweak it. I deleted location history and turned off location history.

Attachments

• 1433609480516.jpg
    1433609480516.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 48

heavyvino

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I use mine like a rented mule, but I don't worry about battery life as I got a RAVPOWER 2 in 1 wireless charger so when I sit out it comes and my phone charges while in meetings or any other time I sit.

Posted while eating Titty Sprinkles with Morgan Freeman.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm on 5 hours of screen time right now, didn't have my phone charging overnight.

You can post some screenshots and we might can help you tweak it. I deleted location history and turned off location history.

Screenshots of....? The battery screen?
I'd really like to know of what is syncing and running, unnecessarily! in the background. Something I can actually find and delete or permanently stop rather than just stopping and then it just goes right back eating up my battery.
For instance, I have an app I've used forever, sms backup, and just realized it was set to sync every 15 minutes. I cut that back to 24 hours.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yup, the various battery screens. It is good to let it run all day and before charging again, then do the screenshots. If you also screenshot the detail of the battery graph, we can see your signal strength, how often your phone is waking up, etc.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Battery usage is objective.

I could do a lot to get days out of my Note, like barely use it and remove most apps and completely shut down location on everything.

Of course, if I do that, I might as well use a cheap flip phone.

Use your phone to your fullest that you want. Tweak things for better battery, I do, try not to compare your battery life to another because there is no way both of you use the phone the same way.

Well said. No two people use their phone exactly the same. I even use mine differently on the weekend than during the week. Guess what? Battery life is different too. Screen on time is not a good measure either. It depends what you are doing while the screen is on. Just use the phone. We are lucky. We can carry a spare battery and have fast charging. I don't worry at all about battery life on this phone. I'm just prepared when I need to be with one of those solutions.

Sent from my Note 4

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Agree with much of the sentiment here, employ some common sense strategies for battery savings but don't stress over the comparison of battery life compared to others. Makes no sense to me to buy a supercar and then stick a tennis ball under the gas pedal to improve fuel economy..

For me, I bought two anker batteries with a charging dock for $25 from Amazon and I just swap out when needed. Some days I never need to, others its nice to have the option of a fresh charge in a minute. Carrying a spare isn't that much trouble since I only do so when I anticipate the need.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow... I can't believe the battery life you guys are getting. I downgraded last night to 4.4.4 to see if I can get good battery life again. All I can say is that lag for app switching is gone (yayyy). but the camera lag is still there and now I'm back to the GPS lag as well... But... Let's see! I'm going to wait for 5.1.1. I can't believe how buggy this phone is!

As per battery life. I had trouble getting more than 3 hours of SoT and I use my phone VERY little. I mean, I don't play games, I don't download / upload except for emails and messages. I use it for taking pictures, but I don't take pictures every day to say the least (maybe just on weekends really). I am mostly on wifi with a good 3G signal. Some days I'll get home with 50% battery life, and other days with 10%, and it doesn't depend on my SOT. It depends on Google Services as the Android system and google play services are the two highest in my battery consumption. I've turned of sooooo many apps (of course, I don't use them, so it didn't matter). But I do refuse to turn off features like location just to be able to get through the day. What if I lose it and location is off? I can't track it! I see people turning off data as well. I mean, of course, use it however you want. But a device this expensive shouldn't need to be this babied. That's just my $.02

vnovomsate

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, note 4 is one of the best devices on the market wits quick charging and perfect battery life. Offcourse is good to know set up the phone to get best battery life too...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow... I can't believe the battery life you guys are getting. I downgraded last night to 4.4.4 to see if I can get good battery life again. All I can say is that lag for app switching is gone (yayyy). but the camera lag is still there and now I'm back to the GPS lag as well... But... Let's see! I'm going to wait for 5.1.1. I can't believe how buggy this phone is!

As per battery life. I had trouble getting more than 3 hours of SoT and I use my phone VERY little. I mean, I don't play games, I don't download / upload except for emails and messages. I use it for taking pictures, but I don't take pictures every day to say the least (maybe just on weekends really). I am mostly on wifi with a good 3G signal. Some days I'll get home with 50% battery life, and other days with 10%, and it doesn't depend on my SOT. It depends on Google Services as the Android system and google play services are the two highest in my battery consumption. I've turned of sooooo many apps (of course, I don't use them, so it didn't matter). But I do refuse to turn off features like location just to be able to get through the day. What if I lose it and location is off? I can't track it! I see people turning off data as well. I mean, of course, use it however you want. But a device this expensive shouldn't need to be this babied. That's just my $.02

It really sounds like something isn't right with your phone. You are 100% correct that you should not need to baby the phone. I know that if I had to turn off half of the phone's features to get decent battery life I would move to a different phone. That is not the case at all with my Note 4 though. I use my phone all day long for a lot of different things and I am very happy with the battery life. Comparing screen on time to others just confuses people since we use our phones differently, but it sounds like you should be getting more than you are. If you have not already I would do a factory reset and then if you are still not satisfied I would look into a replacement or just exchange for a different phone all together. Not sure how long you have had the phone so obviously that will play into your options. Good luck!

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Normally I would agree. I downgraded to KK, and I'm getting more than double the battery life. 8 hours on battery, 1.5 hours SOT, 79% left.... Right about now I'd be at 40% with less SOT.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I can say that it did pretty good yesterday as I was either at home or with a decent signal.
I did see where a lot of battery was used by Facebook. I disabled allllll of the push notifications. They were all checked.
Facebook was the number one power user on the battery screen.
I think that'll help a lot.
But, like these other guys said, I don't like to 'baby' this phone, but I tell you if I left location on, all those push notifications, syn, mulit window, full screen power, I seriously doubt I'd make it all day.
Again, especially since I work in a basement and it's searching all day for a signal down there.
It does say Android system is the most battery using. Not sure what all that entails.

Also, I remembered that it said some 'cloud' service (either Google or Verizon, it was VZW I think) was full the day after I got the phone. Not sure which one it was, but I told it ok.
I wonder if it's trying to upload something in the background to a service that's full.
I guess in that case, it'd be giving me warnings still.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I can say that it did pretty good yesterday as I was either at home or with a decent signal.
I did see where a lot of battery was used by Facebook. I disabled allllll of the push notifications. They were all checked.
Facebook was the number one power user on the battery screen.
I think that'll help a lot.
But, like these other guys said, I don't like to 'baby' this phone, but I tell you if I left location on, all those push notifications, syn, mulit window, full screen power, I seriously doubt I'd make it all day.
Again, especially since I work in a basement and it's searching all day for a signal down there.
It does say Android system is the most battery using. Not sure what all that entails.

Also, I remembered that it said some 'cloud' service (either Google or Verizon, it was VZW I think) was full the day after I got the phone. Not sure which one it was, but I told it ok.
I wonder if it's trying to upload something in the background to a service that's full.
I guess in that case, it'd be giving me warnings still.

Oh a bad signal.. Yeah it will eat your battery and probably pop Android system up a lot.

I forgot.. Do you work at home and have an office downstairs or work downstairs at the office?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Oh a bad signal.. Yeah it will eat your battery and probably pop Android system up a lot.

I forgot.. Do you work at home and have an office downstairs or work downstairs at the office?
I work in a hospital, in a basement.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay