I got my Note 4 3 weeks ago and from day one it has a tendency to over heat. I don't think it's the battery in this case, even though it's heated as well, but rather the device over working itself (processor maybe?) since the screen becomes hot as well.

The first day I attributed it to the auto install and updates to all my apps previously on the old device and over working the phone. But, as it's happened more frequently, I'm not sure what it is that triggers it as it appears to happen at random no matter how heavy I'm using the phone or if I am using it at all. More than once the phone heated up whole on stand by, charging. (Even after rapid charge was diabled) Another example, 40 minutes ago I just returned home from a trip and the phone kept connecting and disconnecting to Wifi for a coup of minutes. Then it started overheating. Again the heat source appeared to come from the side opposite of the battery. I pulled the battery. And waited for both the battery and phone to cool down. Note: the battery is not warped.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Laura Mommy likes this.
    06-09-2015 05:53 AM
    Same here - 3 to 4 weeks ago on AT&T. Mine gets hot and now the battery drains faster. I just cleared the partition cached and I'll see if that helps.
    06-09-2015 06:08 AM
    Sounds like defective battery to me
    06-09-2015 12:24 PM
    Mine is from Verizon. I get where it could be the battery, but it just seems like it's a hardware or software issue. Not ruling the battery out, I am checking it periodically to see if it warps.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-09-2015 06:51 PM
    I have the same problem n I think isn't my battery I took it to the T-Mobile store where I bought it but they said I need delete some apps n restart my cell again its almost 4 times I did it but is still overheating
    06-27-2015 08:58 PM
    What is the alleged overheating based on? Are you monitoring the actual internal temperature? It feels warm in you hand or pocket?
    If my phone is in my shirt breast pocket of long periods it feels warm to the touch but the internal temperature is well within acceptable range. I place the phone face up on a table and in a minute or so it is cool to the touch. And again the internal temperature is stable and within acceptable range.

However, if the phone is working to catalog a extSD card with data on it from another phone, or reloading all of the apps from the app store as a new phone then it is going to be working very hard and will heat up as the prosessors are working full bore.
    06-27-2015 09:40 PM
    I have owned smartphones since the 90s and was particularly excited to get this model. I chose this over the 5 because of the ability to change batteries. I travel and needed that ability, as well as a micro sd card. About a week after loading up all my usual apps, plus some basic business apps like OneNote and Dropbox, it started to overheat, and shut down all apps but phone and contacts. It even shuts down Bluetooth so I kept losing calls using my headset Not ideal as I was doing email and on a call at the time. I turned it off for a while, and it worked fine for about 5 minutes, then the same. I changed batteries. I shut off certain processes, including Wi-Fi, and it worked ok for a day or so. Then it overheated as I was in line for security at the airport ... nightmare as I was using online check-in. Very nearly missed my flight as I embarrassingly waited 20 minutes for it to cool down and access the boarding pass image. Next day I did a factory reset, loaded an absolute minimum of apps, it worked fine for 3 days, then same again. See attached images. I went to my cell provider who told me I could exchange for a reconditioned model ... hello .... I have just spent a bucket load of money on a state of the art phone, and it is totally unusable, and I get offered someone else's castoff, which likely has the same problem based on my research of Note overheating. So here I am in 2015 wishing I had my old 1999 phone that was at least usable. Nightmare, and I hope Samsung or my provider steps up, but I doubt it.

Thanks is anyone has figured out how to solve this issue, or is it a bad design?
    Attached Thumbnails Note 4 overheating!-screenshot_2015-10-28-12-29-20_resized.jpg   Note 4 overheating!-screenshot_2015-10-28-12-29-48_resized.jpg  
    10-28-2015 05:21 PM
    Try contacting Samsung directly. I take it you bought it brand new?

Posted from my kicking Samsung Note4 on Lollipop 5.1.1
    10-28-2015 07:35 PM
    I have owned smartphones since the 90s and was particularly excited to get this model. I chose this over the 5 because of the ability to change batteries. I travel and needed that ability, as well as a micro sd card. About a week after loading up all my usual apps, plus some basic business apps like OneNote and Dropbox, it started to overheat, and shut down all apps but phone and contacts. It even shuts down Bluetooth so I kept losing calls using my headset Not ideal as I was doing email and on a call at the time. I turned it off for a while, and it worked fine for about 5 minutes, then the same. I changed batteries. I shut off certain processes, including Wi-Fi, and it worked ok for a day or so. Then it overheated as I was in line for security at the airport ... nightmare as I was using online check-in. Very nearly missed my flight as I embarrassingly waited 20 minutes for it to cool down and access the boarding pass image. Next day I did a factory reset, loaded an absolute minimum of apps, it worked fine for 3 days, then same again. See attached images. I went to my cell provider who told me I could exchange for a reconditioned model ... hello .... I have just spent a bucket load of money on a state of the art phone, and it is totally unusable, and I get offered someone else's castoff, which likely has the same problem based on my research of Note overheating. So here I am in 2015 wishing I had my old 1999 phone that was at least usable. Nightmare, and I hope Samsung or my provider steps up, but I doubt it.

Thanks is anyone has figured out how to solve this issue, or is it a bad design?
    Same!! My note 4 was working great since I got it in Feb. I tried everything.. Wipe the cache partition.factory reset.. And yep over heats.laggy as hell screen freezes it goes black and won't light up again.. WTF.. Weak oh and it shuts off. Sometimes it won't come back on for like 20 minutes.. What how could the best phone ever go to **** so fast? ?
    10-29-2015 11:19 PM
    I've finally figured out why the Note 4 overheats all the time. Due to the Quad HD + bloatware installed on the verizon version, it is constantly running high in memory usage. I've heard 5.1.1 fixes the memory hog but only a few carriers have received the update. I've basically downsized the resolution to 1080p increase the dpi and disabled bloatware using debloatware found in XDA forums, my Note is speedy and no longer overheating. Granted, should I have to do this for a phone that was advertised as the next big thing, absolutely not, but as an android user, we got it for the customization and the ability to tweak the OS. Hopefully the next update will come out and fix a lot of these issues for Verizon customers.
    10-29-2015 11:41 PM
    I've finally figured out why the Note 4 overheats all the time. Due to the Quad HD + bloatware installed on the verizon version, it is constantly running high in memory usage. I've heard 5.1.1 fixes the memory hog but only a few carriers have received the update. I've basically downsized the resolution to 1080p increase the dpi and disabled bloatware using debloatware found in XDA forums, my Note is speedy and no longer overheating. Granted, should I have to do this for a phone that was advertised as the next big thing, absolutely not, but as an android user, we got it for the customization and the ability to tweak the OS. Hopefully the next update will come out and fix a lot of these issues for Verizon customers.
    I'm assuming the debloatware thing requires Root? I heard rooting kills the functionality of the S Pen, is this true? I use the pen and it's pressure-sensitivity to draw, and would not want to lose those functions - but I'm sick of my phone overheating
    11-23-2015 03:46 PM