So I stopped by my local Verizon to pick up a new case for my note 4. The salesperson asked if I needed a new screen protector. I asked if the glass ones had improved or if they still were producing a halo on the note 4 edges. She said no, the 2nd batch of Zagg were great. No halo. She put it on and it looked ok in the store but got it home and definite halo! Ugh. So there are still no glass screen protectors for note 4 right? I just got swindled out of $30 😣

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-11-2015 03:00 PM
    I have the same issue with my Zagg (purchased late Dec.) Big halo effect.

A friend at work today showed me his Nexus 6 and this glass screen protector which is more narrow to avoid the sloping/rounded edges of the screen. He has no halo effect.

I'm probably going to try this one. Much cheaper too.

http://www.amazon.com/Yootech%C2%AE-...cUvbUpU4487793
    06-11-2015 03:52 PM
    I think the halo has much to do with specifically where the screen protector falls on your phone. I use a zagg. its my second after I cracked the first. The first had a halo. When I applied the 2nd I was very neurotic about lining it up on the phone and I have very little halo. Personally, I dont consider the glass to be significantly more protective than the plastic covers though... they just feel nicer with the s-pen.
    06-11-2015 04:17 PM
    I just got the Bodyguardz Crown. Figured I'd try something new that claimed to be designed for phones with curved edges on the screen. Much to my surprise, ABSOLUTELY NO HALO!!!!! This thing is awesome.

-Shawn
    Noting the world one S-Pen at a time
    06-11-2015 07:38 PM
    I just got the Bodyguardz Crown. Figured I'd try something new that claimed to be designed for phones with curved edges on the screen. Much to my surprise, ABSOLUTELY NO HALO!!!!! This thing is awesome.
    That's what I am using, and I also do not have "halo" with this set up. It is by far the best screen protector that I have tried.
    (Although I have read some others saying that they have a halo with this.)
    06-11-2015 10:02 PM
    I like my Zagg protector. I do not notice the halo effect until I look for it. Recently there was a crack on my glass. Not sure if my actual phone screen would have cracked without glass but I am glad I did not take that chance. I am weary about buying cheap glass. I ordered one that was supposed to be fit for the Asus Zenfone 2. It was not even close. My husband ordered a cheap glass version for his Droid Turbo. Not even close, but he is using it anyway. He says his protector is not as smooth as his naked phone screen. Still better than plastic.
    06-12-2015 08:25 AM
    That's what I am using, and I also do not have "halo" with this set up. It is by far the best screen protector that I have tried.
    (Although I have read some others saying that they have a halo with this.)
    My only issue is my case seems to create a halo so I am going naked. Have you found a case that works with the crown?

-Shawn
    06-12-2015 08:54 AM
    My only issue is my case seems to create a halo so I am going naked. Have you found a case that works with the crown?
    I am using this (not really a case, but a wood skin):
    Note 4 - Toast
    06-12-2015 09:13 AM
    I am using this (not really a case, but a wood skin):
    Note 4 - Toast
    Yeah... I was more looking for drop protection. I'm terrified of messing up the metal. But I love the look of this device without a case.

-Shawn
    06-12-2015 12:25 PM
    I just bought my note 4 the other day and I'm really worried about making the right choice in screen protector. I figure glass is what I need, and I saw one at an accessory kiosk, but it didn't look like it extended to the edges of the screen and I got turned off right away.

They're all kind of like that though aren't they? It feels a little uncomfortable knowing the edges of the glass are all exposed.

Sent from my phablet using Tapatalk
    06-13-2015 07:25 AM
    I just bought my note 4 the other day and I'm really worried about making the right choice in screen protector. I figure glass is what I need, and I saw one at an accessory kiosk, but it didn't look like it extended to the edges of the screen and I got turned off right away.

They're all kind of like that though aren't they? It feels a little uncomfortable knowing the edges of the glass are all exposed.

My glass protector when it recently cracked did so at the top of the glass and my phone screen did not break. Even though the glass does not go to the complete edges, it still give it an extra layer that is thick enough to feel. Go with glass, you will be happy in the long run. And I would go with Zagg. Zagg replaces for free if it cracks and it is made specifically for the Note 4 with the holes and cuts where they are supposed to be.
    ansa82 likes this.
    06-13-2015 10:38 AM
    My glass protector when it recently cracked did so at the top of the glass and my phone screen did not break. Even though the glass does not go to the complete edges, it still give it an extra layer that is thick enough to feel. Go with glass, you will be happy in the long run. And I would go with Zagg. Zagg replaces for free if it cracks and it is made specifically for the Note 4 with the holes and cuts where they are supposed to be.
    I almost exclusively trust ZAGG when its for a device I care about.

Guess I already knew what I was gonna have to get but now I feel better about the decision, thanks.

skatergirl and ansa82 like this.
    06-13-2015 10:44 AM
    If you want an install without a halo the Zagg hdx (which is not glass but does offer a degree of shatterproof protection) is what you want.

Zagg customer service told both myself & a fellow xda developers forum member their glass protector for the N4 will not install without a halo.

If you get the hdx you want to use the gray S Pen tip, it glides a lot smoother on the hdx than the black one.

The hdx is a compromise it installs without a halo but since it's not glass it's neither as smooth/slippery or as hard. I'm using the hdx w/ an Otterbox Defender case & the case has put permanent lines into the hdx on the bottom of the top lip which extends over the hdx. To me it doesn't matter because the case will always be on my phone & you can't see it unless the case is removed. You also have to be very careful installing the hdx as you remove the yellow plastic film after the hdx is installed, best bet is to use the Zagg supplied plastic wedge to make certain the hdx stays on the screen while removing the film. My first installation resulted in the hdx removing completely from the phone's screen while trying to remove the film.

I like the fingerprint/dust attraction qualities of the hdx. I removed an iCarez glass protector (which BTW also installs w/o a halo) because it was a dust/fingerprint magnet (other xda forum members have posted they don't have this problem w/ the iCarez glass). I was cleaning the iCarez glass at least once a day & often multiple times, by contrast the hdx is cleaned every 2-3 days.

So it just depends on what your priorities are insofar as a halo, oleophobic properties & the feel of glass. I'd rather have glass but since I've spent 7 months trying to find a glass protector that installs w/o a halo w/ acceptable oleophobic properties & couldn't I'll probably keep the hdx on.
    ansa82 likes this.
    06-13-2015 12:34 PM
    I have the same issue with my Zagg (purchased late Dec.) Big halo effect.

A friend at work today showed me his Nexus 6 and this glass screen protector which is more narrow to avoid the sloping/rounded edges of the screen. He has no halo effect.

I'm probably going to try this one. Much cheaper too.

http://www.amazon.com/Yootech%C2%AE-...cUvbUpU4492463
    Looks like an option. I bet it will still have halo though 😨

06-13-2015 08:05 PM
    I think the halo has much to do with specifically where the screen protector falls on your phone. I use a zagg. its my second after I cracked the first. The first had a halo. When I applied the 2nd I was very neurotic about lining it up on the phone and I have very little halo. Personally, I dont consider the glass to be significantly more protective than the plastic covers though... they just feel nicer with the s-pen.
    I really like the glass. It repels fingerprints and looks way cleaner. Also smoother, less drag and my swype works better

06-13-2015 08:06 PM

-Shawn
    That's awesome! Did you install it yourself? Was it easy?

06-13-2015 08:07 PM
    If you want an install without a halo the Zagg hdx (which is not glass but does offer a degree of shatterproof protection) is what you want.

Zagg customer service told both myself & a fellow xda developers forum member their glass protector for the N4 will not install without a halo.

If you get the hdx you want to use the gray S Pen tip, it glides a lot smoother on the hdx than the black one.

The hdx is a compromise it installs without a halo but since it's not glass it's neither as smooth/slippery or as hard. I'm using the hdx w/ an Otterbox Defender case & the case has put permanent lines into the hdx on the bottom of the top lip which extends over the hdx. To me it doesn't matter because the case will always be on my phone & you can't see it unless the case is removed. You also have to be very careful installing the hdx as you remove the yellow plastic film after the hdx is installed, best bet is to use the Zagg supplied plastic wedge to make certain the hdx stays on the screen while removing the film. My first installation resulted in the hdx removing completely from the phone's screen while trying to remove the film.

I like the fingerprint/dust attraction qualities of the hdx. I removed an iCarez glass protector (which BTW also installs w/o a halo) because it was a dust/fingerprint magnet (other xda forum members have posted they don't have this problem w/ the iCarez glass). I was cleaning the iCarez glass at least once a day & often multiple times, by contrast the hdx is cleaned every 2-3 days.

So it just depends on what your priorities are insofar as a halo, oleophobic properties & the feel of glass. I'd rather have glass but since I've spent 7 months trying to find a glass protector that installs w/o a halo w/ acceptable oleophobic properties & couldn't I'll probably keep the hdx on.
    THANKS! !

06-13-2015 08:08 PM
    That's awesome! Did you install it yourself? Was it easy?

I did. Bodyguardz packages it in a meticulously formed tray that lines up perfectly with the phone to help you with the perfect install of the glass. After that, putting the crown on is easy as pie.

Just one word of caution... While most glass screen protectors look perfect in a matter of seconds, this one will have air under it for about 12-24 hours. I was furious. But they really did go away and it looks beautiful now.

-Shawn
    ansa82 likes this.
    06-14-2015 11:05 PM
    Duplicate. App was malfunctioning, sorry.
    06-14-2015 11:06 PM
    Duplicate... App was malfunctioning. Sorry
    06-14-2015 11:06 PM