Fix Note 4 lag?

faith3935

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello I currently have an AT&T version Galaxy Note 4 and when I open the contacts app on the phone it takes 3 seconds to fully load so I was wondering is there any way to fix the lag?

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issues with this laggy POS. I am doing a factory reset today hopefully it fixes it.

Posted via the Android Central App

samwifi

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello I currently have an AT&T version Galaxy Note 4 and when I open the contacts app on the phone it takes 3 seconds to fully load so I was wondering is there any way to fix the lag?

The only way is to get back to KK. Lol-pop is a disaster for lag and bluetooth.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Odd, I am on ATT and I have no lag what so ever and Bluetooth works great. Maybe try factory reset? I just bought my girlfriend one 2 days ago and there are no issues with hers either.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had too many laggy issues with this phone. I went back to KK because of it. If Android 5.1.1 doesn't fix them by end of July or beginning of August, then I'm out. Samsung charges a lot of these devices. My Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 has lesser specs in EVERY way except for screen resolution (which is actually worse because it has less RAM and slower CPU) and it is faster than my Note 4 in it's every day usage (not loading apps, or crunching data, but rather app switching, opening gallery, and everything else that is software related). It's a shame Samsung is on its high horses right now... Arg... Battery life is also a little bad. But 20% better on KK.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Like bassplyrguy, no lag opening contacts or with Bluetooth. I'm 5.0.1 with Verizon. Overall phone is working great. Very responsive.

crazycrew

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been having very terrible lag problems also. On WiFi (known good communication, as all over devices in the household have no problems), WiFi searching, email (super slow) contacts loading, Bluetooth connectivity. I've grown to absolutely HATE this phone.

Oh, I'm on. 5.0.1 on AT&T

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I have had too many laggy issues with this phone. I went back to KK because of it. If Android 5.1.1 doesn't fix them by end of July or beginning of August, then I'm out. Samsung charges a lot of these devices. My Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 has lesser specs in EVERY way except for screen resolution (which is actually worse because it has less RAM and slower CPU) and it is faster than my Note 4 in it's every day usage (not loading apps, or crunching data, but rather app switching, opening gallery, and everything else that is software related). It's a shame Samsung is on its high horses right now... Arg... Battery life is also a little bad. But 20% better on KK.

These issues are due mainly to Lollipop, jump to any other 5.0 phone and you will find similar niggles. Poorer batt life is the most common thing in 5.0 for every Android.

To reduce lag, enable Developer Options and turn Off all UI Animations, this tends to help a lot, at least for me it did.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
These issues are due mainly to Lollipop, jump to any other 5.0 phone and you will find similar niggles. Poorer batt life is the most common thing in 5.0 for every Android.

To reduce lag, enable Developer Options and turn Off all UI Animations, this tends to help a lot, at least for me it did.
What would you say if I were to tell you that I dropped back to kitkat and I'm still having lag issues, less... But camera features are very laggy.... But at least multitasking is faster. But still laggy.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Well the reason I left the note 4 was from intolerable lag. I just could not handle the constant slow downs and hiccups

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Well the reason I left the note 4 was from intolerable lag. I just could not handle the constant slow downs and hiccups

May I ask what you switched to? I am debating the following devices:
  • LG G4
  • Nexus 6

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Launching the camera, or the gallery from the camera, are the only two times I ever see any lag. But that's not nearly enough to make me get rid of this beast.

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello People,

There are ways to fix these lags and sometimes you can only do it with custom recovery.

Lets try some of these steps;

first lets see if the issue from the phone or a rogue app. Because android is more open people tend to install tons of feature that affect the normal apps and runs on the background without the user knowing it. Sometimes its an accessibility feature that you granted to some app which slows down the device.

So what should we do to know if this is an app issue or phone issue.

We need to boot into SafeMode.
1- Turn off your phone then power it back on and hold the power button.
2- As soon as you see SAMSUNG logo, release the power button and press that Volume down and hold it until the device boot.

You will see a safemode box on the left corner.

Safe mode means that your phones runs a stock without any software so you can know id your phone actually has hardware issue or not.

If your phone runs fast then its matter of identify which app is causing this and you have to investigate each app :(
Also remember that some of the accessibility could cause these issues.

Another way to help is by clearing both normal CACHE and DELVIK CACHE from recover and I believe the delivk cache can only be obtained from customer recovery.

Search the internet on how to get into recovery mode and clear those cache.

GOOD LUCK

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello People,

There are ways to fix these lags and sometimes you can only do it with custom recovery.

Lets try some of these steps;

first lets see if the issue from the phone or a rogue app. Because android is more open people tend to install tons of feature that affect the normal apps and runs on the background without the user knowing it. Sometimes its an accessibility feature that you granted to some app which slows down the device.

So what should we do to know if this is an app issue or phone issue.

We need to boot into SafeMode.
1- Turn off your phone then power it back on and hold the power button.
2- As soon as you see SAMSUNG logo, release the power button and press that Volume down and hold it until the device boot.

You will see a safemode box on the left corner.

Safe mode means that your phones runs a stock without any software so you can know id your phone actually has hardware issue or not.

If your phone runs fast then its matter of identify which app is causing this and you have to investigate each app :(
Also remember that some of the accessibility could cause these issues.

Another way to help is by clearing both normal CACHE and DELVIK CACHE from recover and I believe the delivk cache can only be obtained from customer recovery.

Search the internet on how to get into recovery mode and clear those cache.

GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the info :) But I don't think paying 600+ euros, or I think I saw from carriers unlocked it was 800 usd in the USA?, this should be necessary. For that amount of money the device should work very well right out of the box. If I were to buy the One Plus One, for example, or the ZenFone 2, for that amount of money I wouldn't mind... But I believe Samsung charged one of the highest amounts they have every charged for a device... It should work well. If they release an update, it should make it work better, not worse.

I know a lot of the issues are Lollipop based, but even Google pushed right through that with the 5.1.1 update. Who knows if or when Samsung will update their devices. Not to mention they have ALL these different variants (I've seen the 910C,F,H, V?) and two different processors (SD and Exynos).

I'm upset with Samsung, to be honest. I'm getting lag from the gallery (10-12 second waits), on Lollipop I was getting 4-5 second delays while multitasking, GPS lock wait times, problems with GPS in Location Tagging for images, less battery life (about 20% less) in Lollipop vs KitKat, heating up while doing simple tasks like reading email, or browsing through my own images, or going through Tapatalk to browse forums (randomly, might I add). Not that great photos in anything other than optimal lighting conditions. The device is VERY fast, VERY fluid except in these conditions. Yet, these are the features I use MOST! Multitasking for copying and pasting, or switching apps. Battery to last me through the day. I want my GPS to record where i take pictures, even if it takes me less than 1 second to load the camera, and snap the shot. If it doesn't have the GPS location, it just leaves it out completely! BTW- I've done soft and hard resets, loaded 3 different ROMs as well (all stock though).

I look to other devices like the G4 and Nexus 6, and they all have different issues... I'm holding onto the Note 4 until issues get fixed or something better comes along. But I can pretty much be sure that this will be my last Samsung device. :( ... and I had such high hopes for it!

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info :) But I don't think paying 600+ euros, or I think I saw from carriers unlocked it was 800 usd in the USA?, this should be necessary. For that amount of money the device should work very well right out of the box. If I were to buy the One Plus One, for example, or the ZenFone 2, for that amount of money I wouldn't mind... But I believe Samsung charged one of the highest amounts they have every charged for a device... It should work well. If they release an update, it should make it work better, not worse.

I know a lot of the issues are Lollipop based, but even Google pushed right through that with the 5.1.1 update. Who knows if or when Samsung will update their devices. Not to mention they have ALL these different variants (I've seen the 910C,F,H, V?) and two different processors (SD and Exynos).

I'm upset with Samsung, to be honest. I'm getting lag from the gallery (10-12 second waits), on Lollipop I was getting 4-5 second delays while multitasking, GPS lock wait times, problems with GPS in Location Tagging for images, less battery life (about 20% less) in Lollipop vs KitKat, heating up while doing simple tasks like reading email, or browsing through my own images, or going through Tapatalk to browse forums (randomly, might I add). Not that great photos in anything other than optimal lighting conditions. The device is VERY fast, VERY fluid except in these conditions. Yet, these are the features I use MOST! Multitasking for copying and pasting, or switching apps. Battery to last me through the day. I want my GPS to record where i take pictures, even if it takes me less than 1 second to load the camera, and snap the shot. If it doesn't have the GPS location, it just leaves it out completely! BTW- I've done soft and hard resets, loaded 3 different ROMs as well (all stock though).

I look to other devices like the G4 and Nexus 6, and they all have different issues... I'm holding onto the Note 4 until issues get fixed or something better comes along. But I can pretty much be sure that this will be my last Samsung device. :( ... and I had such high hopes for it!

The issue could be for the user not the phone.

for example, I used to have lots of lags on my phone and it was driving me crazy until I found the the app "Lastpass" was causing all the issues for me. I uninstalled it and my phone is back to normal.

You have to look into your app and see which one is cause the issue.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I've tried. I've flashed and the ONLY applications I installed were my necessary ones for messaging: Line and Whatsapp. I HIGHLY doubt they are the causes seeing as I've had this issue ONLY on my Note 4, and not on any of my other devices (I'm only putting the devices I remember having Whatsapp on): HTC Desire>iPhone 4 16GB>Dell Streak>BB 9800> Galaxy S2 >BB 9900> Milestone 2> Galaxy Note> Galaxy Note II > Xperia Z2 > LG G3 (3/32) > Nokia Lumia 930 > Nokia Lumia 1520).

And if these issues are seriously caused by Whatsapp and / or Line messengers, then Samsung has got some serious problems... I even have many many apps DISABLED to get my device to work more or less normally. I even have S Health disabled because it was a major drain on Lollipop just by tracking steps. Couldn't believe it. Lol. If a Fitbit can go for 5 days on less than 100 mah and sync via bluetooth every 15 minutes... then what in the world is Samsung doing...

Regardless, thanks for your tip! I have done it multiple times, except with Whatsapp and Line, and I am getting the same experience. I even didn't accept any Google accounts. Just in case, I went from 3 to 1 now... So, I'm actually quite limiting my device just to be able to get some decent battery life and usability. Ironic, right? We buy these devices to make our lives easier and work for us. I have spent too many hours trying to fix these issues. In fact, if I were to get paid the same amount as I do in my job for my time, I would have been able to pay right out for this device just by trying to troubleshoot, fix, and investigate this device.

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've tried. I've flashed and the ONLY applications I installed were my necessary ones for messaging: Line and Whatsapp. I HIGHLY doubt they are the causes seeing as I've had this issue ONLY on my Note 4, and not on any of my other devices (I'm only putting the devices I remember having Whatsapp on): HTC Desire>iPhone 4 16GB>Dell Streak>BB 9800> Galaxy S2 >BB 9900> Milestone 2> Galaxy Note> Galaxy Note II > Xperia Z2 > LG G3 (3/32) > Nokia Lumia 930 > Nokia Lumia 1520).

And if these issues are seriously caused by Whatsapp and / or Line messengers, then Samsung has got some serious problems... I even have many many apps DISABLED to get my device to work more or less normally. I even have S Health disabled because it was a major drain on Lollipop just by tracking steps. Couldn't believe it. Lol. If a Fitbit can go for 5 days on less than 100 mah and sync via bluetooth every 15 minutes... then what in the world is Samsung doing...

Regardless, thanks for your tip! I have done it multiple times, except with Whatsapp and Line, and I am getting the same experience. I even didn't accept any Google accounts. Just in case, I went from 3 to 1 now... So, I'm actually quite limiting my device just to be able to get some decent battery life and usability. Ironic, right? We buy these devices to make our lives easier and work for us. I have spent too many hours trying to fix these issues. In fact, if I were to get paid the same amount as I do in my job for my time, I would have been able to pay right out for this device just by trying to troubleshoot, fix, and investigate this device.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

faith3935

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Is there any way to fix the Bluetooth skip issues? I tend to stream music on Bluetooth alot. I'm also on the verge of selling my Note 4 and maybe look into buying the Galaxy S6 Active flat out or see if I can get on a family plan.