Note 4 BBC iplayer issue

steeledarren

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Anyone in the UK having issues in playing video stream ( quick news clips )within the BBC iplayer app via their Android device ? I have a new Note 4 updated to the new Lollipop software. I think it may a lollipop issue with the actual iplayer app. I've tried most fix options but to no avail. When trying to open a video clip my device 'trys' to play the clip but a blank black video page is all I get with the clip time status displayed as normal at the bottom of the screen , this then forces my Note 4 to freeze , leaving me no other option to remove battery to even restart.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mannikon

May 11, 2015
Visit site
BBC are slow to fix issues. This current problem affects many other Android devices and has been going on for some time now. This is why the app gets a low rating on Play Store. Free app from an arrogant UK public institution, why should they care? Video streaming works perfectly with all other providers, just not the BBC.

Mark Toye

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Exactly the same for me. Especially embarrassing as Apple fan boys don't have the problem on their devices. I contacted BBC and they insist it is fixed by an update (android not BBC of course). All other media serviced work fine with lollipop. Lazy BBC.

amer369

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Your note 4 can download content and play, you'll be able to stream to a chromecast but you just can't stream to the phone.

I've been in touch with BBC iPlayer "tech support" (lol), they give a standard response that their tech team believes a update remedies the problem... Therefore it's a Android issue. They tell you to contact Samsung or carrier knowing full well they're passing the buck.
They won't acknowledge it's their app that's at fault blaming the OS. They won't even tell you what update you need, website says the problem is 5.0.2 but I have 5.0.1 and have the problem.
My other theory is that their tech are so incompetent that they've told their less tech savvy management it's lollipop and their app is fine. So now they actually believe their apps all good.
They are arrogant but what can we do..

Posted via the Android Central App

slatermethuen

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I am unable to keep trying. In order to try and get iPlayer working I tried uninstalling it with the intention of re-installing again, but the BBC have pulled the app from the Play Store for Note 4 devices.

Hopefully the new update will be available for Note 4s, but I doubt it.

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Still can't get the update but I used 'app backup and restore' app to copy the apk for the media player and iPlayer from my Nexus 7 and installed to the Note 4. It won't play streamed content but downloading and playing does work.

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Just noticed that iplayer (the one I copied from Nexus 7) works streaming to chromecast, so that's something.

Common Sense Is 3

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Just noticed that iplayer (the one I copied from Nexus 7) works streaming to chromecast, so that's something.

Hi, do you or anyone else that has managed to get this working on Note 4 or other previously failing version on any device to work know which version it is? I really want to try but I have tried a few versions now and cannot find the correct one. Please help. Thank you.

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
4.11.0.169 is there one I copied from Nexus 7.

3.1.8 is the BBC media player version.

I checked it's still the same, it just freezes trying to play progs, but can download and play progs and will also stream to Chromecast.

That's fine for most uses. If you want live streaming take a look at Filmon app which live streams most UK TV free in (low) SD and also works with Chromecast.

I checked that out the other day when someone mentioned it in another post. It looks good so long as they don't start limiting it or adding ads and will work abroad too.

Last edited:

slatermethuen

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Now that I've installed 5.1.1 on my Note4, iPlayer has started working again :)

Currently on 4.9.0.259 and media player 3.1.8.

I'm still unable to get the latest version since the play store is still saying it is incompatible with my device.

I've signed up for the beta programme, but cannot leave feedback, since this is done from within the app, which I am unable to install!

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I signed up yesterday and today I've got a new beta version and it WORKS! So that's good news, looks like the Note 4 will soon get a working iPlayer once the beta testing is finished.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My Note4 got the BBC Iplayer update today and it works again. Happy about this.

Posted from my kicking Samsung Note4 on Lollipop 5.1.1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad