06-27-2015 09:02 PM
50 12
tools
    For starters, there's no SD slot. And all the Droid Turbos have slippery backs except for the metallic black, which is only available with 32GB. That's just silly for a flagship. Seriously, why can't they just put the SD slot back?

-- Rob
    The Ballistic Nylon back Droid Turbo comes in 64gb. Thats plenty of space
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=0nj8KmoU

Sent from the mighty Tab S
    06-18-2015 07:27 PM
    I doubt that Samsung will "stop chasing display specs".
    I doubt they will, too, and they'll probably lose my business as a result. I need a tool, not a toy. I have no need for a crazy, battery-sucking 8k display for playing games. I'm sure there's a market for that, but it's not me. I'd much rather they focus on solid fundamentals (e.g. radio quality, software quality, and battery life) than adding more and more dubious features.

-- Rob
    06-18-2015 07:32 PM
    The Ballistic Nylon back Droid Turbo comes in 64gb. Thats plenty of space
    Well, "plenty" is a personal thing. I could maybe live without the SD card if I could get 64GB, but the ballistic nylon is very slippery in my hands. The only one I can hold onto is the metallic black (it's very grippy just like my current phone), but it's only available with 32GB. Why that's true is a complete mystery to me.

-- Rob
    06-18-2015 07:37 PM
    Well, "plenty" is a personal thing. I could maybe live without the SD card if I could get 64GB, but the ballistic nylon is very slippery in my hands. The only one I can hold onto is the metallic black (it's very grippy just like my current phone), but it's only available with 32GB. Why that's true is a complete mystery to me.

-- Rob
    Ok well hopefully you find something for your specific needs.

06-18-2015 07:40 PM
    Ok well hopefully you find something for your specific needs.
    Thanks. It's frustrating because I just want the basics, but I want them to work well and I want them to work fast. Unfortunately, the focus is more on feature creep.

Each of the flagships has at least one deal-killer for me. With Moto, it's the lack of an SD slot (and the camera is no prize, although I could live with that). LG, mediocre battery life, plus can't hang on to it. Samsung, poor software and mediocre battery life. And perhaps what's common to all of them: Android Lollipop.

If the new crop this fall doesn't improve much, I may actually try the Note 4 again, but only if it gets a major OS update between now and then.

-- Rob
    06-18-2015 07:49 PM
    Thanks. It's frustrating because I just want the basics, but I want them to work well and I want them to work fast. Unfortunately, the focus is more on feature creep.

Each of the flagships has at least one deal-killer for me. With Moto, it's the lack of an SD slot (and the camera is no prize, although I could live with that). LG, mediocre battery life, plus can't hang on to it. Samsung, poor software and mediocre battery life. And perhaps what's common to all of them: Android Lollipop.

If the new crop this fall doesn't improve much, I may actually try the Note 4 again, but only if it gets a major OS update between now and then.

-- Rob
    5.1.1 allegedly arrives for the note 4 sometime in july. I switched from the galaxy s line for the size and battery life. Now with lollipop/samsung subpar battery life im not happy but i dont want to part with certain specs and samsung features on the note 4.

06-18-2015 07:56 PM
    5.1.1 allegedly arrives for the note 4 sometime in july. I switched from the galaxy s line for the size and battery life. Now with lollipop/samsung subpar battery life im not happy but i dont want to part with certain specs and samsung features on the note 4.
    I'll be keeping my eye on feedback from 5.1.1 for sure. The Note 5 isn't too far out either. I expect that will ship with an upgraded Lollipop, with M soon to follow. Of course, there's no guarantee that M will be any better, but I'd like to think they've learned some lessons from rolling out Lollipop with so many problems.

-- Rob
    06-18-2015 08:02 PM
    I'll be keeping my eye on feedback from 5.1.1 for sure. The Note 5 isn't too far out either. I expect that will ship with an upgraded Lollipop, with M soon to follow. Of course, there's no guarantee that M will be any better, but I'd like to think they've learned some lessons from rolling out Lollipop with so many problems.

-- Rob
    The issues with lollipop arent all that of samsung. I believe its on google's end with every OS they roll previous issues into the the current version. I've had Android System battery drain since the Galaxy S3. I've had every S model since except for the S6. Now the Note 4 with lollipop and im still seeing the same Android System drain even with lollipop.

06-18-2015 08:11 PM
    I'm lucky to get 2.5 sot with lollipop as well as it being extremely laggy. I was in best buy yesterday for an unrelated reason and took my note 4 over to the Samsung counter just to show him how slow the recent apps list pulls up, and he said he had never seen that problem before (which honestly doesn't surprise me for various reasons). But he said since I've factory reset it twice already (once on kitkat and once after upgrading to lollipop) and I'm having so many issues, he's going to wipe it completely and reload the software from their computer and if that doesn't work, they'll have to send it back to the factory. At this point, I'm beyond annoyed and frustrated. I don't know if it is an isolated incident with my phone or if I should go ahead and make the switch to iPhone since I have no interest in any other android phone. I just want THIS phone to work, but alas, it has been issue after issue with lollipop at least.
    06-18-2015 08:20 PM
    The issues with lollipop arent all that of samsung.
    For sure they aren't. 5.0 was a major upgrade for Android, in which Google replaced the underlying runtime mechanism. I expect to see more stability as it matures. That's why I have no qualms about avoiding Lollipop altogether. The best hardware in the world is worthless if it's running crappy software. These things have more horsepower than PCs of a few years ago, yet they stutter when navigating a 2-dimensional user interface? We don't need faster processors -- we need better software.

-- Rob
    06-18-2015 08:33 PM
    For sure they aren't. 5.0 was a major upgrade for Android, in which Google replaced the underlying runtime mechanism. I expect to see more stability as it matures. That's why I have no qualms about avoiding Lollipop altogether. The best hardware in the world is worthless if it's running crappy software. These things have more horsepower than PCs of a few years ago, yet they stutter when navigating a 2-dimensional user interface? We don't need faster processors -- we need better software.

-- Rob
    The major upgrade of Android 5.0 was more focused on aesthetics. Making a switch to Art was a change that was needed. Remember project volta? @ IO 2014 wheres that in lollipop? Android has changed yes the issues with the software going forward havent changed.

06-18-2015 08:40 PM
    The major upgrade of Android 5.0 was more focused on aesthetics. Making a switch to Art was a change that was needed. Remember project volta? @ IO 2014 wheres that in lollipop? Android has changed yes the issues with the software going forward havent changed
    Well I'm no expert on Android for sure, but I am a software engineer by trade, so I'm probably a lot less tolerant of bad software than most. I do know that new things tend to cause new problems, and over time they tend to get fixed up. I also don't care for the new aesthetics, but I've been called a dinosaur more than once, too.

-- Rob
    06-18-2015 09:14 PM
    Well I'm no expert on Android for sure, but I am a software engineer by trade, so I'm probably a lot less tolerant of bad software than most. I also don't care for the new aesthetics, but I've been called a dinosaur more than once, too.

-- Rob
    I've been called far worse things in this forum LOL your preaching to the choir.

06-18-2015 09:17 PM
    The issues with lollipop arent all that of samsung. I believe its on google's end with every OS they roll previous issues into the the current version. I've had Android System battery drain since the Galaxy S3. I've had every S model since except for the S6. Now the Note 4 with lollipop and im still seeing the same Android System drain even with lollipop.

I've been using Watch Dog Lite since froyo days and even froyo was giving sporadic alerts that Android System had spiked to 99.9% cpu usage while the phone slept. It's not so much a gradual all day drain but comes in spikes along with a bunch of other related services. I'll get an alert of a spike and surface flinger (something to do with the screen ), kernel, etc all spike as well. All while the phone is supposedly asleep.
    This has been on HTC devices, LG devices and Samsung devices from froyo to lollipop.
    Watch Dog Lite is a good app for finding rogue things causing battery drain and Android itself has been my biggest battery vampire for 5 years and several devices now.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    06-18-2015 10:07 PM
    I've been using Watch Dog Lite since froyo days and even froyo was giving sporadic alerts that Android System had spiked to 99.9% cpu usage while the phone slept. It's not so much a gradual all day drain but comes in spikes along with a bunch of other related services. I'll get an alert of a spike and surface flinger (something to do with the screen ), kernel, etc all spike as well. All while the phone is supposedly asleep.
    This has been on HTC devices, LG devices and Samsung devices from froyo to lollipop.
    Watch Dog Lite is a good app for finding rogue things causing battery drain and Android itself has been my biggest battery vampire for 5 years and several devices now.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <
    Beast Mode 4
    Thank you for echoing my sentiments exactly

06-18-2015 10:13 PM
    I'm lucky to get 2.5 sot with lollipop as well as it being extremely laggy. I was in best buy yesterday for an unrelated reason and took my note 4 over to the Samsung counter just to show him how slow the recent apps list pulls up, and he said he had never seen that problem before (which honestly doesn't surprise me for various reasons). But he said since I've factory reset it twice already (once on kitkat and once after upgrading to lollipop) and I'm having so many issues, he's going to wipe it completely and reload the software from their computer and if that doesn't work, they'll have to send it back to the factory. At this point, I'm beyond annoyed and frustrated. I don't know if it is an isolated incident with my phone or if I should go ahead and make the switch to iPhone since I have no interest in any other android phone. I just want THIS phone to work, but alas, it has been issue after issue with lollipop at least.
    I just did the switch. I have the Note 4, and I'm switching it for the Nexus 6. Hopefully the software will work well enough for me. It's always easier to think the grass is greener on the other side. I had 4 iPhone 4s. All defective. All new. One had defective home button (didn't press), one got about half a day standby time battery life, another one the LCD screen broke and it turned on super high and washed out EVERYTHING. Could hardly read anything on the screen. The last one, as it came in a newly sealed box, I just sold it. I mean, you'll always find issues. You just need to find the right device for you. I really wanted a great camera, but the Note 4 wasn't that great. Also, the HUGE amounts of lags in the last 3 ROMS released by Samsung really left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I spent A LOT of money on the Note 4 flat out. I'm lucky my company is giving me 30 days to return it starting today, and I'll have the Nexus 6 on Monday in my hands. I can't wait to have them both side by side. I know the Note 4 has an awesome screen, and solid build quality. My issues weren't hardware, it was 100% software. 3 ROMs later, none of the issues I personally had were fixed... So that's a deal breaker for me. It's not like I got this device for free. I paid for it with my hard earned cash... I want something that works. In fact, the Nexus 6 cost me 160 euros less, and I'm getting 100% of my money back for the Note 4.... And I get to use my Nokia DT-903 charger again, right out of the box!
    06-20-2015 07:30 AM
    ^^^ I hope the Nexus 6 works well for you. Let us know how it goes next week once you get everything setup.

I was strongly considering it along with the Note 4. All of the camera reviews I saw showed that the Nexus 6 camera, while good overall, didn't hold up as well in low light/night conditions. Since camera is important to me, I went with the Note 4.

I am watching for the next Nexus phone (N7?) details to see how the camera shapes up. If it improves to be generally on par with the Note 4, iPhone 6, Galaxy S6 - then I will definitely consider the next Nexus. S Pen is great, but I don't use it that frequently.
    06-20-2015 09:37 AM
    Fair enough.

The Note 5 is rumored to bring a 4100mAh battery, a 5.9inch display at the same res as Note 4, and a more efficient Exynos 7422. Maybe worth a go, hopefully with MicroSD slot.
    Trouble is it will only have one radio so not nearly as good if you are on VZW. Even though the note 4 is old I want one since it will be the last double radio phone with sd slot and removable battery ever built by anybody. VZW likes to pretend they have LTE everywhere but I am on 3G half the time. No problem on note 3 or 4 but any newer phone you lose simultaneous voice and data. That is a feature I cannot go without. Only choice would be to switch to ATT. Tmobile just doesn't have widespread coverage.

The new Nexus is too expensive for a plain Jane device. Part of the allure of Nexus was low price. Boy is that gone.
    06-20-2015 09:51 AM
    I'd be lying if I said that wasn't in the back of my mind, although bigger isn't the way I hope it goes (although I'm sure it will). I'd like to see Samsung lighten their software and stop chasing display specs, too, but I doubt that'll happen. 4100mAh sounds nice (side note -- at what point do we start referring to this as 4.1Ah?), but I fear for elimination of the SD card. My biggest hope is it won't be running 5.0. IMO, Lollipop is to Android what Vista was to Windows.

-- Rob
    It will come out with Lollipop and will update to M soon after.
    06-21-2015 08:36 AM
    I must admit lollypop has some problems. I often get this app has stopped messages but now that I found an app to get rid of the annoying heads up notifications I really like it. I especially like my phone automatically remaining unlocked when wearing gear 2 or at home.
    06-21-2015 06:28 PM
    I must admit lollypop has some problems. I often get this app has stopped messages but now that I found an app to get rid of the annoying heads up notifications I really like it. I especially like my phone automatically remaining unlocked when wearing gear 2 or at home.
    How do you have your Note 4 configured to remain unlocked at home? Is that with an app from Play Store or something native with TouchWiz?
    I've thought about using the Gear S option to keep my Note 4 unlocked, but haven't tried that yet. Does that same option with the Gear 2 work well for you?
    06-27-2015 09:37 AM
    How do you have your Note 4 configured to remain unlocked at home? Is that with an app from Play Store or something native with TouchWiz?
    I've thought about using the Gear S option to keep my Note 4 unlocked, but haven't tried that yet. Does that same option with the Gear 2 work well for you?
    Go to security and choose smart lock under trust agents and then smart lock will show up on the security screen.

Then you can set up to have it stay unlocked under certain conditions.
    Trees likes this.
    06-27-2015 12:03 PM
    Nice, I'll try out Home and my Gear S as trusted location/device and see how it works for a while.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    06-27-2015 04:24 PM
    A little OT but if you try the Glamour rom (S6 port) the Note 4 is still laggy?
    06-27-2015 07:17 PM
    I got a Note 4 from a friend that got burned on Swappa. The screen has a couple heavy gouges, the frame is beat to hell, and before I even got it in my hot little hand my friend had to change the camera housing on the back because it was cracked. On top of that, the charging port is kind of wobbly too. For having a severely second hand Note 4 and coming from a brand new S5, and previously to that (I swear, not even 6 weeks ago) 5 years of iPhones...anyway, I love the Note 4.

It took quite a bit to get used to, heck, the S5 was my first Android experience that I actually gave a shot and didn't go running back to my iPhone. The size of the Note 4 is still incredibly maddening, and I, at times and a lot recently, wish I could go back to the S5....but I've caught Android fever and my lightly used frost white Note 4 will be here Monday.

I've used UAG cases on all of my phones, to include iPhones and Galaxy phones. The only one in the UAG series I didn't like using with the Note 4 was the clear one because they use a much more slippery material for the Maverick style and it takes a while to break it in, and having small hands I can't afford to drop the hunk of junk I let myself get burned on. I'd like to eventually go back to the S5 (expandable memory, anti-Cloud), but Ill have to see how the experience differs with my fancy new white one...otherwise be on the lookout on Swappa.

P.S. as a heavy user, I mean heavy, no battery will ever be adequate for me.
    06-27-2015 09:02 PM
50 12