Returned my Note 4 today

drelewis

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
you see saying it last 2 says does not tell us how much you actually use it. For example I am using an iPhone today and at close to 4pm on a normal day on my note 4 I am at about 65% today on the iPhone I am at 83%. Same sort of usage as well I have the same apps installed nothing different.

i wake up check notifications on my note and its down 5% lollipop got me mad:(

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
My Note 4 battery 2 days easily..
Fast.. No sluggishness..
Can't fault it.. Can only say you have a bad one .

Posted via the Android Central App

Wow, really? I only use my phone for messaging and emailing, and taking pics (usually on weekends or random pics here and there), so I get AT MOST 1 hour and 30 minutes of SoT and I get home with around 40-50%. So... yeah... I'd say battery life also sucks on my device. With and without apps. With or without accounts... With or without syncing... It's Samsung / Google.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
If battery life and a fast experience seem to be your selling points why not go droid turbo? You seem to like mtoto.
For starters, there's no SD slot. And all the Droid Turbos have slippery backs except for the metallic black, which is only available with 32GB. That's just silly for a flagship. Seriously, why can't they just put the SD slot back?

-- Rob

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that Samsung will "stop chasing display specs".
I doubt they will, too, and they'll probably lose my business as a result. I need a tool, not a toy. I have no need for a crazy, battery-sucking 8k display for playing games. I'm sure there's a market for that, but it's not me. I'd much rather they focus on solid fundamentals (e.g. radio quality, software quality, and battery life) than adding more and more dubious features.

-- Rob

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The Ballistic Nylon back Droid Turbo comes in 64gb. Thats plenty of space
Well, "plenty" is a personal thing. I could maybe live without the SD card if I could get 64GB, but the ballistic nylon is very slippery in my hands. The only one I can hold onto is the metallic black (it's very grippy just like my current phone), but it's only available with 32GB. Why that's true is a complete mystery to me.

-- Rob

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, "plenty" is a personal thing. I could maybe live without the SD card if I could get 64GB, but the ballistic nylon is very slippery in my hands. The only one I can hold onto is the metallic black (it's very grippy just like my current phone), but it's only available with 32GB. Why that's true is a complete mystery to me.

-- Rob
Ok well hopefully you find something for your specific needs.

Sent from the mighty Tab S

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok well hopefully you find something for your specific needs.
Thanks. It's frustrating because I just want the basics, but I want them to work well and I want them to work fast. Unfortunately, the focus is more on feature creep.

Each of the flagships has at least one deal-killer for me. With Moto, it's the lack of an SD slot (and the camera is no prize, although I could live with that). LG, mediocre battery life, plus can't hang on to it. Samsung, poor software and mediocre battery life. And perhaps what's common to all of them: Android Lollipop.

If the new crop this fall doesn't improve much, I may actually try the Note 4 again, but only if it gets a major OS update between now and then.

-- Rob

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. It's frustrating because I just want the basics, but I want them to work well and I want them to work fast. Unfortunately, the focus is more on feature creep.

Each of the flagships has at least one deal-killer for me. With Moto, it's the lack of an SD slot (and the camera is no prize, although I could live with that). LG, mediocre battery life, plus can't hang on to it. Samsung, poor software and mediocre battery life. And perhaps what's common to all of them: Android Lollipop.

If the new crop this fall doesn't improve much, I may actually try the Note 4 again, but only if it gets a major OS update between now and then.

-- Rob
5.1.1 allegedly arrives for the note 4 sometime in july. I switched from the galaxy s line for the size and battery life. Now with lollipop/samsung subpar battery life im not happy but i dont want to part with certain specs and samsung features on the note 4.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
5.1.1 allegedly arrives for the note 4 sometime in july. I switched from the galaxy s line for the size and battery life. Now with lollipop/samsung subpar battery life im not happy but i dont want to part with certain specs and samsung features on the note 4.
I'll be keeping my eye on feedback from 5.1.1 for sure. The Note 5 isn't too far out either. I expect that will ship with an upgraded Lollipop, with M soon to follow. Of course, there's no guarantee that M will be any better, but I'd like to think they've learned some lessons from rolling out Lollipop with so many problems.

-- Rob

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'll be keeping my eye on feedback from 5.1.1 for sure. The Note 5 isn't too far out either. I expect that will ship with an upgraded Lollipop, with M soon to follow. Of course, there's no guarantee that M will be any better, but I'd like to think they've learned some lessons from rolling out Lollipop with so many problems.

-- Rob
The issues with lollipop arent all that of samsung. I believe its on google's end with every OS they roll previous issues into the the current version. I've had Android System battery drain since the Galaxy S3. I've had every S model since except for the S6. Now the Note 4 with lollipop and im still seeing the same Android System drain even with lollipop.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm lucky to get 2.5 sot with lollipop as well as it being extremely laggy. I was in best buy yesterday for an unrelated reason and took my note 4 over to the Samsung counter just to show him how slow the recent apps list pulls up, and he said he had never seen that problem before (which honestly doesn't surprise me for various reasons). But he said since I've factory reset it twice already (once on kitkat and once after upgrading to lollipop) and I'm having so many issues, he's going to wipe it completely and reload the software from their computer and if that doesn't work, they'll have to send it back to the factory. At this point, I'm beyond annoyed and frustrated. I don't know if it is an isolated incident with my phone or if I should go ahead and make the switch to iPhone since I have no interest in any other android phone. I just want THIS phone to work, but alas, it has been issue after issue with lollipop at least.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The issues with lollipop arent all that of samsung.
For sure they aren't. 5.0 was a major upgrade for Android, in which Google replaced the underlying runtime mechanism. I expect to see more stability as it matures. That's why I have no qualms about avoiding Lollipop altogether. The best hardware in the world is worthless if it's running crappy software. These things have more horsepower than PCs of a few years ago, yet they stutter when navigating a 2-dimensional user interface? We don't need faster processors -- we need better software.

-- Rob

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
For sure they aren't. 5.0 was a major upgrade for Android, in which Google replaced the underlying runtime mechanism. I expect to see more stability as it matures. That's why I have no qualms about avoiding Lollipop altogether. The best hardware in the world is worthless if it's running crappy software. These things have more horsepower than PCs of a few years ago, yet they stutter when navigating a 2-dimensional user interface? We don't need faster processors -- we need better software.

-- Rob
The major upgrade of Android 5.0 was more focused on aesthetics. Making a switch to Art was a change that was needed. Remember project volta? @ IO 2014 wheres that in lollipop? Android has changed yes the issues with the software going forward havent changed.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The major upgrade of Android 5.0 was more focused on aesthetics. Making a switch to Art was a change that was needed. Remember project volta? @ IO 2014 wheres that in lollipop? Android has changed yes the issues with the software going forward havent changed
Well I'm no expert on Android for sure, but I am a software engineer by trade, so I'm probably a lot less tolerant of bad software than most. I do know that new things tend to cause new problems, and over time they tend to get fixed up. I also don't care for the new aesthetics, but I've been called a dinosaur more than once, too. ;)

-- Rob

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm no expert on Android for sure, but I am a software engineer by trade, so I'm probably a lot less tolerant of bad software than most. I also don't care for the new aesthetics, but I've been called a dinosaur more than once, too. ;)

-- Rob
I've been called far worse things in this forum LOL your preaching to the choir.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
The issues with lollipop arent all that of samsung. I believe its on google's end with every OS they roll previous issues into the the current version. I've had Android System battery drain since the Galaxy S3. I've had every S model since except for the S6. Now the Note 4 with lollipop and im still seeing the same Android System drain even with lollipop.

I've been using Watch Dog Lite since froyo days and even froyo was giving sporadic alerts that Android System had spiked to 99.9% cpu usage while the phone slept. It's not so much a gradual all day drain but comes in spikes along with a bunch of other related services. I'll get an alert of a spike and surface flinger (something to do with the screen ), kernel, etc all spike as well. All while the phone is supposedly asleep.
This has been on HTC devices, LG devices and Samsung devices from froyo to lollipop.
Watch Dog Lite is a good app for finding rogue things causing battery drain and Android itself has been my biggest battery vampire for 5 years and several devices now.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Watch Dog Lite since froyo days and even froyo was giving sporadic alerts that Android System had spiked to 99.9% cpu usage while the phone slept. It's not so much a gradual all day drain but comes in spikes along with a bunch of other related services. I'll get an alert of a spike and surface flinger (something to do with the screen ), kernel, etc all spike as well. All while the phone is supposedly asleep.
This has been on HTC devices, LG devices and Samsung devices from froyo to lollipop.
Watch Dog Lite is a good app for finding rogue things causing battery drain and Android itself has been my biggest battery vampire for 5 years and several devices now.

Support Our Troops !!!
<
Beast Mode 4
Thank you for echoing my sentiments exactly

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm lucky to get 2.5 sot with lollipop as well as it being extremely laggy. I was in best buy yesterday for an unrelated reason and took my note 4 over to the Samsung counter just to show him how slow the recent apps list pulls up, and he said he had never seen that problem before (which honestly doesn't surprise me for various reasons). But he said since I've factory reset it twice already (once on kitkat and once after upgrading to lollipop) and I'm having so many issues, he's going to wipe it completely and reload the software from their computer and if that doesn't work, they'll have to send it back to the factory. At this point, I'm beyond annoyed and frustrated. I don't know if it is an isolated incident with my phone or if I should go ahead and make the switch to iPhone since I have no interest in any other android phone. I just want THIS phone to work, but alas, it has been issue after issue with lollipop at least.

I just did the switch. I have the Note 4, and I'm switching it for the Nexus 6. Hopefully the software will work well enough for me. It's always easier to think the grass is greener on the other side. I had 4 iPhone 4s. All defective. All new. One had defective home button (didn't press), one got about half a day standby time battery life, another one the LCD screen broke and it turned on super high and washed out EVERYTHING. Could hardly read anything on the screen. The last one, as it came in a newly sealed box, I just sold it. I mean, you'll always find issues. You just need to find the right device for you. I really wanted a great camera, but the Note 4 wasn't that great. Also, the HUGE amounts of lags in the last 3 ROMS released by Samsung really left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I spent A LOT of money on the Note 4 flat out. I'm lucky my company is giving me 30 days to return it starting today, and I'll have the Nexus 6 on Monday in my hands. I can't wait to have them both side by side. I know the Note 4 has an awesome screen, and solid build quality. My issues weren't hardware, it was 100% software. 3 ROMs later, none of the issues I personally had were fixed... So that's a deal breaker for me. It's not like I got this device for free. I paid for it with my hard earned cash... I want something that works. In fact, the Nexus 6 cost me 160 euros less, and I'm getting 100% of my money back for the Note 4.... And I get to use my Nokia DT-903 charger again, right out of the box!