Returned my Note 4 today

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
^^^ I hope the Nexus 6 works well for you. Let us know how it goes next week once you get everything setup.

I was strongly considering it along with the Note 4. All of the camera reviews I saw showed that the Nexus 6 camera, while good overall, didn't hold up as well in low light/night conditions. Since camera is important to me, I went with the Note 4.

I am watching for the next Nexus phone (N7?) details to see how the camera shapes up. If it improves to be generally on par with the Note 4, iPhone 6, Galaxy S6 - then I will definitely consider the next Nexus. S Pen is great, but I don't use it that frequently.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough.

The Note 5 is rumored to bring a 4100mAh battery, a 5.9inch display at the same res as Note 4, and a more efficient Exynos 7422. Maybe worth a go, hopefully with MicroSD slot.
Trouble is it will only have one radio so not nearly as good if you are on VZW. Even though the note 4 is old I want one since it will be the last double radio phone with sd slot and removable battery ever built by anybody. VZW likes to pretend they have LTE everywhere but I am on 3G half the time. No problem on note 3 or 4 but any newer phone you lose simultaneous voice and data. That is a feature I cannot go without. Only choice would be to switch to ATT. Tmobile just doesn't have widespread coverage.

The new Nexus is too expensive for a plain Jane device. Part of the allure of Nexus was low price. Boy is that gone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd be lying if I said that wasn't in the back of my mind, although bigger isn't the way I hope it goes (although I'm sure it will). I'd like to see Samsung lighten their software and stop chasing display specs, too, but I doubt that'll happen. 4100mAh sounds nice (side note -- at what point do we start referring to this as 4.1Ah?), but I fear for elimination of the SD card. My biggest hope is it won't be running 5.0. IMO, Lollipop is to Android what Vista was to Windows.

-- Rob

It will come out with Lollipop and will update to M soon after.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I must admit lollypop has some problems. I often get this app has stopped messages but now that I found an app to get rid of the annoying heads up notifications I really like it. I especially like my phone automatically remaining unlocked when wearing gear 2 or at home.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I must admit lollypop has some problems. I often get this app has stopped messages but now that I found an app to get rid of the annoying heads up notifications I really like it. I especially like my phone automatically remaining unlocked when wearing gear 2 or at home.
How do you have your Note 4 configured to remain unlocked at home? Is that with an app from Play Store or something native with TouchWiz?
I've thought about using the Gear S option to keep my Note 4 unlocked, but haven't tried that yet. Does that same option with the Gear 2 work well for you?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How do you have your Note 4 configured to remain unlocked at home? Is that with an app from Play Store or something native with TouchWiz?
I've thought about using the Gear S option to keep my Note 4 unlocked, but haven't tried that yet. Does that same option with the Gear 2 work well for you?

Go to security and choose smart lock under trust agents and then smart lock will show up on the security screen.

Then you can set up to have it stay unlocked under certain conditions.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Nice, I'll try out Home and my Gear S as trusted location/device and see how it works for a while.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I got a Note 4 from a friend that got burned on Swappa. The screen has a couple heavy gouges, the frame is beat to hell, and before I even got it in my hot little hand my friend had to change the camera housing on the back because it was cracked. On top of that, the charging port is kind of wobbly too. For having a severely second hand Note 4 and coming from a brand new S5, and previously to that (I swear, not even 6 weeks ago) 5 years of iPhones...anyway, I love the Note 4.

It took quite a bit to get used to, heck, the S5 was my first Android experience that I actually gave a shot and didn't go running back to my iPhone. The size of the Note 4 is still incredibly maddening, and I, at times and a lot recently, wish I could go back to the S5....but I've caught Android fever and my lightly used frost white Note 4 will be here Monday.

I've used UAG cases on all of my phones, to include iPhones and Galaxy phones. The only one in the UAG series I didn't like using with the Note 4 was the clear one because they use a much more slippery material for the Maverick style and it takes a while to break it in, and having small hands I can't afford to drop the hunk of junk I let myself get burned on. I'd like to eventually go back to the S5 (expandable memory, anti-Cloud), but Ill have to see how the experience differs with my fancy new white one...otherwise be on the lookout on Swappa.

P.S. as a heavy user, I mean heavy, no battery will ever be adequate for me.

Solun

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I doubt they will, too, and they'll probably lose my business as a result. I need a tool, not a toy. I have no need for a crazy, battery-sucking 8k display for playing games. I'm sure there's a market for that, but it's not me. I'd much rather they focus on solid fundamentals (e.g. radio quality, software quality, and battery life) than adding more and more dubious features.

-- Rob

Well, it had a high resolution display because of the Gear VR. I love my Note 9 and the Gear VR, using it every other weekend to dive in other worlds :). I honestly cannot imagine what it would look like if it had a lower resolution display. Also with new models (I think starting with the Note 5), you can adjust the screen resolution to lower if you do not use the maximum resolution. But look at other brands today, they are almost all using higher than Full HD resolutions and they have no virtual reality support!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, it had a high resolution display because of the Gear VR. I love my Note 9 and the Gear VR, using it every other weekend to dive in other worlds :). I honestly cannot imagine what it would look like if it had a lower resolution display. Also with new models (I think starting with the Note 5), you can adjust the screen resolution to lower if you do not use the maximum resolution. But look at other brands today, they are almost all using higher than Full HD resolutions and they have no virtual reality support!
Not sure you going get much response on a 5 year old thread .

Solun

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Haha I know I'm all good without a response. I stumbled upon this by searching for a topic, it was like one of the only two results. So if someone else reads the thread I want them to know that higher than full HD resolution is not a gimmick! Lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Haha I know I'm all good without a response. I stumbled upon this by searching for a topic, it was like one of the only two results. So if someone else reads the thread I want them to know that higher than full HD resolution is not a gimmick! Lol
I still have my Note 4 , but needs battery and has a hairline cracked screen.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I still have my Note 4 , but needs battery and has a hairline cracked screen.

I always like that model. Was considering getting a rooted one a year ago.
If you use wired headphones or a stereo system with a high capacity SD card it make a cool music server.
It has and supports 24 bit high definition audio output.
Use .wav, .wav/HDCD or higher resolution audio formats for best results...

Outdated for sure but could still be very useful especially for niche roles like this. Keep it on Kitkat (best)... or Marshmallow but not Lollipop as it was a mess.
Not sure it it supports any thing higher.
Kitkat is a simple, dark, happy OS...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I always like that model. Was considering getting a rooted one a year ago.
If you use wired headphones or a stereo system with a high capacity SD card it make a cool music server.
It has and supports 24 bit high definition audio output.
Use .wav, .wav/HDCD or higher resolution audio formats for best results...

Outdated for sure but could still be very useful especially for niche roles like this. Keep it on Kitkat (best)... or Marshmallow but not Lollipop as it was a mess.
Not sure it it supports any thing higher.
Kitkat is a simple, dark, happy OS...
Yeah Note 3 and Note 4 I liked a lot , I think my Note 4 has a custom Rom on it but it's been so long I don't remember now lol.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Seems like you could get a good used Note 4 for the price of those two parts combined (especially the screen)
Your probably right , but it takes the fun out of me doing that , I kept it along with Nexus 5x ,htc M8, Note 2 as projects to fix and put together

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Yeah Note 3 and Note 4 I liked a lot , I think my Note 4 has a custom Rom on it but it's been so long I don't remember now lol.

Out of sight... know that feeling.
It can collapse into a black hole fast that displaces time it's self:( lol.
Parts for it are cheap.
A HQ audio server for your ride might be nice... like that 3.5 mm jack in it, a lot.

ManGooble

Sep 18, 2019
Visit site
Love the Note 4 that I managed to buy a N910C, a brand new Sprint Note 4 and N915T. What stood out to me was how there wasn't any US carrier model where the carrier hadn't messed with the software of the Note 4 as as opposed to the S5 Tmobile neutered the quick settings in List View but kept the Tab View while Sprint didn't mess with the List view but got rid of Tab View while Verizon and ATT add a lot of bloat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv