Gear vr setup process starts by itself

Dave Petrozzo

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
On my third Galaxy S6 Edge Plus because of this. Verizon wont even downgrade me. Hate this phone its a POS! I may have to root this one when it does it again......ridiculous

Welcome to your samsung gear VR I hate you

dario18a

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
On my third Galaxy S6 Edge Plus because of this. Verizon wont even downgrade me. Hate this phone its a POS! I may have to root this one when it does it again......ridiculous

Welcome to your samsung gear VR I hate you

I also have the s6 edge+... had the same issue twice and sent it to repair twice for this... still doing the same thing. I think its a software issue bec I disabled the samsung VR apps completely by using package disabler pro from google BTW it cost me 2$ for this I don't care and it solved the problem

Ethan Craig

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue with my S6, but also was having issues where my phone would simply not charge through the USB port. I took the phone to a Samsung 'flagship' store in NYC which had a repair shop in it as well. After looking at the charging port with a magnifying glass the woman at the counter told me that my port was bad. She said this was most likely caused by using a cheap micro USB cable. I left the phone there for a few hours, they ended up replacing the small board that the usb port is connected to, the battery, and the screen. At this point I decided to buy the wireless charging mat to be safe. (its actually a nice $30 investment) Problem however is that there are times when I need to use a micro USB cable to charge the device while I'm out or away from home etc. After about a month with only 2-3 regular charges through the charging port, all the above issues began to happen again. As of now my ability to charge via USB is hit or miss, and the VR setup screen usually appears after I've attempted to charge the phone through my usb cable.

I'd love to see something posted about this on Drippler if others are experiencing the same thing. :cool:

Same problem here, I have a note5 and after 2 months of regular (for a college student) use and the charging port began to not work. I depend on my 6:00 alarm for my job, but my charging ability declined rapidly, after 2 days I couldn't charge past 25%, the USB connector wouldn't charge at all and the wireless charger only worked every once in a while. My carrier sent me a refurbished replacement and the charging has been fine thus far. Over the span of both phones I have Samsung vr installation pop up regardless of what I'm doing and disrupting me. I've tried deleting related apps, gone through settings but no relief. I have Google cardboard which works well if not greats, but don't own Samsung vr. I downloaded the package on my last phone and the app would continue to open at random times. So far no solution

tastywaves

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Hello. I have a note 4 and today suddenly the gear vr setup process gets triggered. Please see the screenshots. There is also a voice. I do not want to go through the setup as I'm not interested in the gear vr. Sometimes it also ends on a black screen with an "x", but I cannot close it. So I had to take the battery out.
I did not download anything related to gear vr.
Please help.

Myself and my wife are having the same issue on our brand new Galaxy Note 5's.. It's something with the charging port that is doing this. It's when we try to plug in our phones in. It's pissing me off. Samsung really dropped the ball on this one. We have sent back 3 Brand new phones now because of this and then the phone goes haywire and doesn't stop. It's pretty much shot. Samsung needs to go back to the drawing board because for such a great phone, this makes it total crap!!

tlcalbygurl

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue with my S6, but also was having issues where my phone would simply not charge through the USB port. I took the phone to a Samsung 'flagship' store in NYC which had a repair shop in it as well. After looking at the charging port with a magnifying glass the woman at the counter told me that my port was bad. She said this was most likely caused by using a cheap micro USB cable. I left the phone there for a few hours, they ended up replacing the small board that the usb port is connected to, the battery, and the screen. At this point I decided to buy the wireless charging mat to be safe. (its actually a nice $30 investment) Problem however is that there are times when I need to use a micro USB cable to charge the device while I'm out or away from home etc. After about a month with only 2-3 regular charges through the charging port, all the above issues began to happen again. As of now my ability to charge via USB is hit or miss, and the VR setup screen usually appears after I've attempted to charge the phone through my usb cable.

I'd love to see something posted about this on Drippler if others are experiencing the same thing. :cool:

NKofi

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
So after a couple of hard resets and reading almost all forums concerning this issue. So it got me thinking if Samsung wants me to install the gear vr software without any option to not do so thenow why don't I do exactly that. I.decided to install it but the issues didn't go. I had an idea to install the software and register for an oculus account and also download some.of the apps and voila!!!! The persistent black screen with the "x" and message about dock ejected and phone not charging has stopped. It's been 2 weeks now and I haven't had that problem.
Hope it works for everyone as well

Last edited:

Mont71

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Gonna give it a shot and I will let you know if it works for me or not. I'm done with samsung. going to get either LG, Nexus, or back to iPhone

Mont71

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Your fixed worked!!! However I'm still upset that samsung is forcing it's customers to update to this VR app. Not cool. Going back to iPhone!!! Samsung is committing suicide with it's Galaxy line.

NKofi

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Glad it did...and anytime an update pops just go ahead and update it that's the only way it's gonna stop ruining this beautiful phone for us ....I'm waiting for the marshmallow update to see if this is resolved in its entirety else I would just have to get an iPhone as well ....
PS: looks like the int'l unlocked versions of the note 5 are not experiencing this issue

RaineyRue

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
You just saved my life i am stuck at college all alone with out a phone because of this problem and i couldn't get it off the stupid black screen!

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I had this same problem on my Note 5 along with phantom charging prompts that would fire off like a machine gun thus draining my battery in the process. As many have stated, just trying to disable the app via Application Manager works for like five minutes and then you are back at square one. I did a factory reset a few months back and everything seemed good until about a week ago when I was on vacation in Chicago.

It started doing it the morning I was set to leave and kept trying to auto install Gear VR throughout the trip back home to Michigan. The odd thing was, as soon as I crossed over in to Michigan it stopped. I thought all was good, but a few days later it started doing t again. I am not a fan of factory resetting as it is a pain, but I was about to do another one (even if it only did fix it for a few months) until I saw on another thread where they mentioned using an app called Package Disabler Pro (link below).

I looked it up and there were a ton of reviews from people in the same boat as us that said this did the trick and stopped it for good. This particular app only works on Samsung devices though, but to me it is worth the $2.00 if it permanently corrects the issue. I just installed it, disabled the Gear VR services and it stopped immediately. I'll let it run a few days and report back.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.ospolice.packagedisablerpro&token=li2DbYHc

OHkaren

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello. I have a note 4 and today suddenly the gear vr setup process gets triggered. Please see the screenshots. There is also a voice. I do not want to go through the setup as I'm not interested in the gear vr. Sometimes it also ends on a black screen with an "x", but I cannot close it. So I had to take the battery out.
I did not download anything related to gear vr.
Please help.

Deific1

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Exactly same issue here...started out of the blue, i was actually out at the movies when this started happening. I cant recall doing anything special or different to have triggered this app to start pushing itself into my phone. Its a big pain, i put my phone to charge while powered off to avoid battery damage and the annoying sound/screen light. Im going to take it into the Samsung store tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol