Should I update to Lollipop?

420benz

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
With all of the problems people are having on this forum, I am reluctant to up grade. What are the advantages if any.Thanks

michaelm2052

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Should I updare to lollypop? ?

My honest opinion is no, don't update. Samsung already uses touchwiz which already sucks and that will still be the case in updating it to lollipop. There is no difference really as far as the system or anything its still going to be the ****ty OS unless you can load a new ROM to it with a backup but I haven't really kept watch on what everyone is working on lately.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Princepia

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site

My honest opinion is update. I'm on a Canadian variant, and updating without factory resetting, I've had no issues. I still get 6 hours SoT on moderate to heavy usage. Yes it took some adjustments with the new notifications and things, but I feel I need to not get stuck in the past and embrace change.

This way I don't end up being the old guy saying "Back in my day android was blah blah blah..." and when someone hands me their latest and greatest android smartphone, I don't feel like a lost *****.

Posted via the Android Central App

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site

From your other posts I know you are on verizon. Their lollipop upgrade in particular seems to be giving a lot of people issues. I recently downgraded back to kit kat after having so many issues with verizon lollipop myself. I'd recommend staying on kit kat until they come out with the 5.1.1 update in the future that hopefully doesn't have so many bugs

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

The update will not affect you using Nova. I updated and still use Nova from time to time with no issues.

Patricia Wanless

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

Don't update. Lollipop is terrible. I have the Samsung 4 - was a great phone until they upgraded it. Charge went from 100% overnight to 20%. All apps were closed down, took Wi-Fi off and it still remained the same. It would turn itself off without any warning. I could go on and on. By Friday past I had had enough and took it to the Samsung shop. I explained the situation - to my surprise, he said it was the battery just by looking at the phone. Strange!! He showed me the battery and unbeknown to me it had been swelling up inside the phone and that was the reason for all my probs. I had to leave my phone with them for 1 hr so they could have a good look at it. What a difference - my phone is like new again. The engineer said this was a major problem with S4 and they rolled out Lollipop before it was properly tested. I will say,in closing, Samsung were absolutely brill. No hassle in replacing the battery. One happy customer. Apologies for babbling.

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

It's not an easy answer I think. I'm still on 4.4.4. but I've started noticing only a couple apps not working on KK as it was and should or new apps not compatible with KK. This trend is likely to increase although probably not for mainstream apps but it's something to keep in mind. The main reason I haven't gone to lollipop is I'm rooted with xposed and my current setup has great performance. The main issue I've seen on the forums after updating to lollipop is a slight battery hit even after OS optimization. If you have or get an extra battery that probably won't be too bad. That said I'll wait a little longer before I make the leap.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Lollipop is terrible. So many bugs. You'll feel like you've got an old phone if you upgrade. I upgraded and downgraded back to Kitkat. Happy I did and have no regrets. I've also disabled the update app. I'm going to wait and see what happens with 5.1.1.

faith3935

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Lollipop is terrible. So many bugs. You'll feel like you've got an old phone if you upgrade. I upgraded and downgraded back to Kitkat. Happy I did and have no regrets. I've also disabled the update app. I'm going to wait and see what happens with 5.1.1.

Can you disable the update app on the AT&T version?

Patricia Wanless

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

Hi Philip I was told by the Samsung guy that I couldn't revert back to Kit-Kat. Was he lying to me!!!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I like Lollipop. The Verizon advanced calling is great with other advanced callers and overall call quality is still very good. The smart lock feather is worth my only Lollipop issue, which is a slight battery drain. No other Lollipop problems for me.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Hi Philip I was told by the Samsung guy that I couldn't revert back to Kit-Kat. Was he lying to me!!!

Hi there,

I'm in Ireland with the F version of the device. I can downgrade to Kitkat and disable the update also. In the States it may be a different matter. I had the S4 before this and wasn't able to downgrade after updating the firmware.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

Honestly, I haven't had one single problem with lollipop. I'm on AT&T. Now, I'm not the power user that I suspect many of you are, but I've not had battery issues or any other issues since I updated.

faith3935

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Honestly, I haven't had one single problem with lollipop. I'm on AT&T. Now, I'm not the power user that I suspect many of you are, but I've not had battery issues or any other issues since I updated.

I guess it varies. I got Bluetooth issues on mines on Lollipop thus the reason why I'm trying to sell mines. On Kit Kit it was hardly an issue

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Aside from lock screen, notifications and advanced calling features are there really any must have features in LP though? Those things mean nothing to me so there'd have to be a darned good reason to go through the hassle of getting my root tweaks working again in LP to compel me to switch.