Greeting my GN4 Familia! I've recently started experiencing issues with my phone and am seeking some help. As of late, when my phone discharges to about 30% it shuts down as if the battery is dead. Once I power it back on, the battery reads 0% and shuts down again. As soon as I plug the charger up, the phone then reads 32%. The phone then begins to enter a boot loop, powering up and shutting down repeatedly.

I went into my local Verizon Store in Woodbridge, VA. The associate informed me this is a "common issues with Samsung phones ever sense the 5.0 update." Today I received a new(ish) GN4 in the mail. Yet again, I'm experiencing the same issue! Shuts down around 30%; however when I do a battery pull, it reads 19% and won't stay alive very long afterwards. The Verizon sales associate also ran a battery test and told me the battery was good, which is why she ordered the new phone. What's going in and are any of you experiencing this?

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-04-2015 01:27 AM
    Yes I'm on Sprint and since the 5.0 update I've had the exact same issues. Mine dies usually at 12% and the starts boot looping until I plug it in or pull the battery.

Samsung made a great Phone totally unreliable.

Additionally on the Sprint version I've had a really hard time connecting to and keeping a 4G LTE signal. I am always on 3g mow it seems and I travel all over the state on major highways where I used to consistently have LTE all time. I've even had the sim card switched out which seemed to fix the problem initially but in reality has only made the problem slightly better.

I wish the 5.1.1 update for the Note 4 would hit soon though I'm lot sure my LTE issues are 5.0 related.

07-04-2015 05:48 AM
    You're absolutely correct, they made one of the best phones unreliable! It's unfortunate...I'm going to try to get a different phone on Monday. Something other than a Note 4. I rarely have LTE as well. Calls drop left and rught. It really sucks, but I need my phone to simply work and this one does not

07-04-2015 08:00 AM
    Did it Happen After an update? I'm just asking because I broke ( broke means random restarts, random shutdowns and boot loops) my Note 3 twice updating to 4.3. Samsung refused to help because the update came from Google, at least that's what they told me on the phone. Next day I returned the phone got a refund and bought an iPhone. It's by far not as powerful as (ATTENTION this is my opinion) the Note was but I doesn't break if I update the OS.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    07-04-2015 09:46 AM
    Yepper, it started happening after the upgrade to 5.0. Thank for your opinion lol...I'm actually leaning towards the iPhone myself. This is my 2nd GN4 that's had this problem. It'll be sad to depart from Android, but a mobile phone should be reliable. I know iPhone's have their issues too lol

07-04-2015 10:41 AM
    Add me to the list. I get to 15% before it happens, but putting on charger doesn't help.
    07-04-2015 11:15 PM
    Pull the battery out. Place it flat on a table. Does it wobble at all when you alternate pressing back and forth on both long sides?

Turn it over and try the same thing. Any wobble?

If it wobbles at all, look closely for a bulge. If you see one, there is a blown cell. Time to replace the battery.

A blown cell will put pressure on the screen as the cell continues to leak and expand. This can cause purplish areas to start to appear.

I got these $25 batteries + wall charger and they work very well:
    [NFC/Google Wallet Capable] Anker 2 x 3220mAh Li-ion Batteries
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q4NQQA0/...cUvbUpU4535701

If the battery sits flat with no wobble, the battery is likely fine (no blown cell) but you can replace it and see if that solves the issue.
    07-04-2015 11:27 PM
    It's not a lollipop thing, I'm on kitkat, same problem, new battery fixed it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    07-05-2015 12:23 AM
    Same is happening to my GN4. Cant say for sure it happened after the update but it was around the same time.

I get to around 15% and without warning it's either 1% or it turns off.

Anyone know if a battery calibration sorts these things out? If Yeh.. What's the simplest way to do one on a unrooted phone?

07-05-2015 12:41 AM
    Thanx, I'll give it a try. I've had this phone for about 6 months and it would really suck if the battery cell (s) went bad that soon.

07-05-2015 12:05 PM
    It's not a lollipop thing, I'm on kitkat, same problem, new battery fixed it.

That's comforting to know...I'd hate to get rid of the Note series behind a faulty update. A new battery it is then!

07-05-2015 12:07 PM
    Are those affected always using fast charging? If so makes me wonder if that could be causing premature battery failure, although it could also just be a certain percentage of bad batteries in the mix.

Myself I never use the phone itself to charge the battery, instead always use the Samsung spare battery charger (swap out the battery as needed) which doesn't use fast charging. As far as I can tell, both batteries still hold the same charge/last as long as day one 8.5 months later now (since Oct. 2014).
    I have been using Fast Charging feature since I purchased the phone (Nov.'04). Good call...I'll turn it off and see how that effects the phone. I ordered two new battery with the wall charger, so hopefully that works as a back up. I'm to turn going fast charging off and see how that impacts the discharge rate. Thanx! Perhaps we just received the bad batteries out of the bunch.

07-05-2015 04:26 PM
    My phone has this problem too but I don't think a new battery will solve this unless I got a defective brand new battery from Samsung. Usually my phone turns off with 10% off or anywhere below it. I tried it with both batteries and it just happens randomly.

07-05-2015 06:24 PM
    My phone has this problem too but I don't think a new battery will solve this unless I got a defective brand new battery from Samsung. Usually my phone turns off with 10% off or anywhere below it. I tried it with both batteries and it just happens randomly.

That's what I'm afraid of. I received a new GN4 two days ago and still have the same issue (using the same battery from my 1st GN4). As soon as my new batteries arrive, I'll update this post with my findings.

I will add after turning off Fast Charging I've seen a noticeable difference in my batteries lifespan. Grant it's only been a few hours. I charged from 1% to 50% within 25 mins and 3.5 hours later I'm sitting at 44%.

07-05-2015 08:42 PM
    I have 2 batteries and they both do it. I use fast charging off and on, wonder if that has something to do with it.
    07-05-2015 08:58 PM
    Same is happening to my GN4. Cant say for sure it happened after the update but it was around the same time.

I get to around 15% and without warning it's either 1% or it turns off.

Anyone know if a battery calibration sorts these things out? If Yeh.. What's the simplest way to do one on a unrooted phone?

Calibration didn't work for me, had to get a new battery. Free from t-mobile.

07-07-2015 11:50 AM
    Are those affected always using fast charging? If so makes me wonder if that could be causing premature battery failure, although it could also just be a certain percentage of bad batteries in the mix.

Myself I never use the phone itself to charge the battery, instead always use the Samsung spare battery charger (swap out the battery as needed) which doesn't use fast charging. As far as I can tell, both batteries still hold the same charge/last as long as day one 8.5 months later now (since Oct. 2014).
    Use both methods(fast and USB from acomputer), but I do keep it charging all the time.

07-07-2015 11:51 AM