The last 2 days I've gotten this "unfortunately phone has stopped" error message. This is a new one to me, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks guys (& gals!)

Posted By MY Next Big Thing, The Galaxy Note 4!
    07-06-2015 06:01 PM
    I had that on either my S5 or Note 4 can't remember which. But it was caused by an update. For whatever reason it took 2 factory resets to clear it.

Note 4Tified
    07-06-2015 06:17 PM
    I had that on either my S5 or Note 4 can't remember which. But it was caused by an update. For whatever reason it took 2 factory resets to clear it.

Note 4Tified
    Hey Miller6386- Oh S$#T!!! I hate doing the resets!! I had to do 2 after the L. Update to get the N4 working smoothly again. It's funny tho, everything's been working "butter smooth" & all the sudden this error is showing up & I don't recall any significant updates? Does anyone know if just a regular app update can cause this to happen??? Thanks for the reply. If it persists, at least I'll know what to try.

07-07-2015 07:15 AM
    Hey Miller6386- Oh S$#T!!! I hate doing the resets!! I had to do 2 after the L. Update to get the N4 working smoothly again. It's funny tho, everything's been working "butter smooth" & all the sudden this error is showing up & I don't recall any significant updates? Does anyone know if just a regular app update can cause this to happen??? Thanks for the reply. If it persists, at least I'll know what to try.

The more I think about it there was a conflict with another app that caused it for some. I can't think of what app it was at the moment.

Note 4Tified
    07-07-2015 07:37 AM
    The more I think about it there was a conflict with another app that caused it for some. I can't think of what app it was at the moment.

Note 4Tified
    Can you recall if it was a recent/newly installed app or something that was on your device for a while??? Thanks again for your feedback...AC guys are just awesome!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

07-07-2015 08:08 AM
    Can you recall if it was a recent/newly installed app or something that was on your device for a while??? Thanks again for your feedback...AC guys are just awesome!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

No I do not, it seems as though it was another communication app like Skype or what's app.....

Have you cleared cache and data for the phone app? I think it's listed as like secdialer or secphone

Note 4Tified
    07-07-2015 08:40 AM
    No I do not, it seems as though it was another communication app like Skype or what's app.....

Have you cleared cache and data for the phone app? I think it's listed as like secdialer or secphone

Note 4Tified
    Hey Miller6368-I haven't. I did think of that same thing this a.m. I also thought the system app w/b pretty easy to identify the correct one! However, when scrolling down my apps, I have:
    com.sec.phone
    Phone
    Phone
    Phone (these are further down the app list, & all 3 are right underneath one another.) It seems to me it would be the "com.sec.phone" choice but didn't want add to my issues without being sure!

One Side Note: In the com.sec.phone app, I did clear the cache,BUT the data option was grayed out, so I couldn't clear that even if I chose to. The other 3 "phone" apps, both options were avail. Any thoughts? ?

Attached Thumbnails Error Message saying "unfortunately phone stopped" on Note 4?-screenshot_2015-07-07-11-06-39.jpg ย  Error Message saying "unfortunately phone stopped" on Note 4?-screenshot_2015-07-07-11-07-39.jpg ย 
    07-07-2015 11:15 AM
    Hey Miller6368-I haven't. I did think of that same thing this a.m. I also thought the system app w/b pretty easy to identify the correct one! However, when scrolling down my apps, I have:
    com.sec.phone
    Phone
    Phone
    Phone (these are further down the app list, & all 3 are right underneath one another.) It seems to me it would be the "com.sec.phone" choice but didn't want add to my issues without being sure!

The 3 phone ones are really high. Do you have a ton of contacts?

Also who is your carrier? I see you don't have a data icon displaying I'm assuming you have the mobile data off???

Note 4Tified
    07-07-2015 11:23 AM
    I probably have 100 or so Contacts in my phone. I'm on TMOBILE &I'm @ home so I'm using my wifi.

07-07-2015 11:28 AM
    I probably have 100 or so Contacts in my phone. I'm on TMOBILE &I'm @ home so I'm using my wifi.

I'm not sure why yours are showing so much data than mine. I have way over 100 contacts so it's not storing them in any crazy way. When was the last Tmo update? Don't they offer wifi calling? That could be part of the reason for data specs and the crash.

Note 4Tified
    07-07-2015 12:26 PM
    I'm not sure why yours are showing so much data than mine. I have way over 100 contacts so it's not storing them in any crazy way. When was the last Tmo update? Don't they offer wifi calling? That could be part of the reason for data specs and the crash.

Note 4Tified
    I didn't really think of that! As far as TMO updates, my last one was from KK to Lollipop. I'll reach out to them & see if I get anywhere, we'll see. I'll f/u after this gets resolved & perhaps, I can save someone else a headache! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Thanks again for all your time/replys! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Miller6386 likes this.
    07-07-2015 04:45 PM
    I didn't really think of that! As far as TMO updates, my last one was from KK to Lollipop. I'll reach out to them & see if I get anywhere, we'll see. I'll f/u after this gets resolved & perhaps, I can save someone else a headache! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Thanks again for all your time/replys! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

LMAO. Well that is an interesting proposition if it gets resolved.... Sorry I have a juvenile mind at times.....

Note 4Tified
    07-07-2015 04:47 PM
    LMAO. Well that is an interesting proposition if it gets resolved.... Sorry I have a juvenile mind at times.....

Note 4Tified
    Don't sweat it!! Sometimes I'm no different. I think I did say "after" this gets resolved tho? DMarie04

Miller6386 likes this.
    07-07-2015 05:01 PM
    Don't sweat it!! Sometimes I'm no different. I think I did say "after" this gets resolved tho? DMarie04

Perhaps I should work harder..... Lol

But seriously I'm searching for the thread on what app caused it for some people.

Note 4Tified
    07-07-2015 05:03 PM
    Perhaps I should work harder..... Lol

But seriously I'm searching for the thread on what app caused it for some people.

Note 4Tified
    I did some searching on A.C., but just about all the threads were for the com.android process (not exact), the messaging app & for media issues. Like I said, you AC guys are awesome! DMarie04

07-07-2015 05:10 PM
    I did some searching on A.C., but just about all the threads were for the com.android process (not exact), the messaging app & for media issues. Like I said, you AC guys are awesome! DMarie04

Well after some searching I have found my issue was with contacts and not phone. I think we have 2 options.

1 tell me all apps you have disabled. (Also you're not rooted correct?)

2. Clear cache and data for the phone apps. You will lose all recent call logs and probably speed dials.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-07-2015 05:27 PM
    Well after some searching I have found my issue was with contacts and not phone. I think we have 2 options.

1 tell me all apps you have disabled. (Also you're not rooted correct?)

2. Clear cache and data for the phone apps. You will lose all recent call logs and probably speed dials.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Hi Miller6386! Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Your correct, I'm not rooted. I did clear out cache/data on all the phone apps. ( NO big deal w/losing logs etc.) So far, I haven't gotten the error message today?

Miller6386 likes this.
    07-08-2015 12:11 PM
    Hi Miller6386! Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Your correct, I'm not rooted. I did clear out cache/data on all the phone apps. ( NO big deal w/losing logs etc.) So far, I haven't gotten the error message today?

Awesome! I hope it's still good..... Looking for my reward lol

Note 4Tified
    07-08-2015 09:32 PM
    Awesome! I hope it's still good..... Looking for my reward lol

Note 4Tified
    GM Miller6386- Yep, so far so good! Reward....you mean telling you AC guys just how awesome you are isn't enough lol ๐Ÿ˜??? All kidding aside, thanks a lot for the help. See ya on the forum, I'm sure!

Miller6386 likes this.
    07-09-2015 11:08 AM
    I had same msg. especially when on the Internet which made me unable to answer.
    I went to app Mgr. and hit upper right menu for allowing pop-ups over what app you are on. I toggled switch on phone app to allow them. That TOTALLY cured the problem for me.
    Hope it helps someone else.
    Took me a long time to figure it out. Good Luck to All.๐Ÿ˜„
    11-21-2016 07:19 PM
    Sorry, I meant to say it happened when a call was coming in and I was on Internet the msg. would pop-up an I couldn't answer the call. Would hold power and lower volume down until restart and called the person back. It was maddening. Thanks
    11-21-2016 07:28 PM
    Thank you! That seems to have solved the problem for me (Note 4, upgraded to Android 6.0.1, on T-Mobile).
    I had tried clearing the Phone app cache & data and also the cache partition with no luck.
    11-29-2016 05:31 PM
    nevermind
    02-03-2017 07:21 PM