Hey everyone. I just encrypted my Note 4 Lollipop 5.0.1. I'm wondering when the phone is actually encrypted? Since when you turn off the phone and turn it back on you put in the encryption password and then is your phone unencrypted? I have fingerprint scanner enabled. So is the phone unencrypted after I put in the encryption key at boot up? So if I lose my phone with the lock screen locked and phone on, is my data compromised if a professional hacker finds my phone? Or does the fingerprint scanner also unencrypt when the screens locked?

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-06-2015 09:30 PM
    Hey everyone. I just encrypted my Note 4 Lollipop 5.0.1. I'm wondering when the phone is actually encrypted? Since when you turn off the phone and turn it back on you put in the encryption password and then is your phone unencrypted? I have fingerprint scanner enabled. So is the phone unencrypted after I put in the encryption key at boot up? So if I lose my phone with the lock screen locked and phone on, is my data compromised if a professional hacker finds my phone? Or does the fingerprint scanner also unencrypt when the screens locked?

Every time you reboot your phone, you have to enter your encryption key, which decrypts all of your data stored in your phone. Your phone is encrypted up until that point. As for if your data would be safe if a professional hacker stole your phone, I'm sure he would be able to decrypt your phones data and compromise it without too much effort.
    07-06-2015 10:28 PM
    Ah I see. So there's no point in encrypting really. Everyone that I know has there phone on 100% of the time. I read an article awhile ago that the government can't go through encrypted phones. And even though my phones encrypted, it's not encrypted while my phones on and locked. Only when your phones off and turned back on lol. Back in the day when I had a Bold 9900 my phone locks and encrypts while my phones on and in lock screen and there was a point. IMO it's pretty pointless unless you turn your phone off ahead of time

07-06-2015 10:56 PM