Why did Note 4 sd card list .jpg but save photos as pcd?

Blade3520

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I have taken hundreds of photos and tranferred them to my pc with no problem. Just now 8 - 10 photos out of about 20 said they were .jpg files but when I transferred them to my computer or emailed them to my pc it said they were pcd files and could not open them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! How have you been transferring the files? Using Windows Explorer over a USB connection? Or by using some other photo importing program?

Blade3520

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
First by USB: On my pc I opened directly from the Note 4 card.DCIM.Camera file containing over 200 photos which all open fine. It said "{Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because the file appears to be damaged, corrupted, or is too large. (It is 6.5 MB -several larger files open fine) One other warning said it was a .pcd file.
Then I attached the photos, which look fine on my phone in the gallery, to an email. I got a couple of different warnings: 1. When I tried to open with FileViewPro (after googling how to open pcd files) = "This type of '.pcd' file can only be opened in native mode." 2. When I tried to use Photoshop - "Could not open the document because a JPEG marker segment length is too short (the file may be truncated or incomplete). 3. I changed the .jpg to .pcd and Irfanview opens up a blank screen
The photos show fine in my gallery on the phone.

Mannikon

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Ifran probably thinks they are old Kodak pcd files (picture disk). My guess is sd card corruption. Gallery will still show images even after they've been moved or deleted but when you look at image info it can't be found. Gallery doesn't refresh itself. Are you using cloud storage? If you keep getting this issue, try another sd card? A search on my phone shows I have no pcd files.

Pieter Bakker

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Before taking out the SD card and if those pictures are still shown in Gallery or via browser, set your storage back to internal memory (phone) and take screenshots from your phone as a way to recover those pictures.

Once you take out the SD card you have lost this option...