Issues w/ Smart Lock after latest Verizon update, how can I fix them?

mossyp

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Issues w/ Smart Lock after latest Verizon update

I also have a Note 4 on Verizon, and use an Exchange account that our IT folks make us accept a security policy requiring PIN lock to access. Smart Lock worked before the update, now it does not.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Mossyp - sorry to hear you're in the same boat. I would call Verizon and let them know just so they can start logging it as a bug. I doubt it will make a difference though since even if they acknowledge it they won't release an update to fix it for probably months or longer. The state of Android updates just makes it impossible to fix a small issue like this in a timely fashion.

Skatergirl - I am not sure I understand what a non-corporate Hotmail Exchange account means. Is that just an Outlook.com/Office 365 account? Does it have security policies that require a PIN to access the device? If those policies come down then I have a feeling this update will break the Smart Lock functionality.

I'm considering two options for now:

1) Try to get Verizon to send me a refurb device that doesn't have the update. Roll that device back to KitKat 4.4, block all OTA updates, and use a tool like SmartLock to simulate that functionality. This is not ideal since I'd prefer to just go back to Lollipop prior to the update (and block all future OTA updates) but I'm not sure that's possible.

2) Use a different email client like MailWise that claims it can bypass Exchange security policies. I really don't want to do this because then I'd have no PIN lock at all which is not what I want.

I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has them. This may seem like a small issue but it's very frustrating to have basic Android functionality broken.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Well, I use my Microsoft Outlook calendar rather than the Google calendar and I set up my windows login through the exchange accounts on my phone in order to get my calendar to sync. This account doesn't have any pin requirements. Just my user name and password.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

I can't say for sure but my guess is you'd be ok. I would still hold off on installing the update just in case since it just came out. It's not like it adds any real functionality that you'd want. Unless you can't download Milk Music for yourself, that is. :)

My email comes from my corporate Exchange environment where they use security policies to enforce a PIN to unlock the device. I'm totally ok with the PIN but want to be able to use Smart Lock so I don't need to enter the PIN when I'm using my BT headset or when I'm in the car. This worked perfectly until the latest update.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

That stinks for sure. I do use a pin to unlock my phone, but I am not required by anyone to set the pin. I would like to hold off but the alerts keep bugging me.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site

I am afraid to do this update because I have an exchange account and Smart Lock. I might totally freak out if my Smart Lock stopped working.

I also have an outlook.com Exchange account and I did the update a couple of days ago (Verizon). SmartLock still works for me.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I am probably safe then to do the update. Thanks for the feedback.

Tony Bowman

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I am seeing the same behavior. Verizon Note 4 with a Samsung Gear 2 Neo that worked really well with Smart Lock prior to 5.1.1 As soon as that was installed Smart Lock stopped working. I too have tried everything you listed and I also removed all the updates to Google Play Services and installed the latest version, setup my device and I was prompted to allow this device to work as a smart lock but still have to enter my pin each time.

This was really one of the great features of a smart watch.

If you come up with a solution please post it here.

Thanks
Tony

Tony Bowman

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I also have a corporate exchange account with a policy that requires a pin code. I will try to remove the policy since I am in the IT department and see if the problem is the policy or the exchange account on the phone.

Tony Bowman

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I removed the Exchange Mobile Device policy from my corporate mailbox but left my Exchange email account on my phone and smart lock began working again. Something in 5.1.1 and Exchange Mobile Device Policy has stopped Smart Lock from working. The policy we use requires a pin code to unlock the phone.

Tony Bowman

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I found this online - The Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update for the Nexus 6 is quite minor, bringing various stability improvements and a new protocol that disables Smart Lock feature on the device when the Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) password policy is enforced.

EAS is a Microsoft protocol, which allows users to save Windows email and contacts across various devices. This protocol does not work in accordance with Google’s Smart Lock feature, which allows a Nexus 6 handset to unlock when paired to a designated wearable, bluetooth device, location or the sound of a user’s voice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1