Can I get some hands on advice?

bmac143

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Need some hands on advice!

OK, I read these posts a lot, but, finally joined as a member, so, be kind to me gang, I am new at this.

Now that the M9 has been out for 3-4 months, looking for some true feedback from current users. Currently sporting a Note 4 from Big Red, that I upgraded to a few months ago. Really struggled between the M9 and the N4, but opted for the real estate. Never use the S Pen, TouchWiz is tolerable, but, as they say, "the grass is always greener on the other side". Had an M8 previously, and, considering going back to HTC. Primarily use my phone as a phone, emails, texting, and some YouTube/Netflix watching. No gaming, no FB, etc. Anyone have any unbias, non-fanboy comments about your experience so far with your M9? For instance, has the overheating issue truly been resolved, and what are your experiences with the camera day to day? I am always cautious about the reviews on YT, because many are bias one way or the other, depending on who supplies them with a free phone.

I am not going to post this on the Note 4 forum, because there always seems to be more bashing going on about other phones from the Samsung camp. No disrespect intended, Samsung just sells a lot of phones, but, that doesn't mean they are the best.
(Ford sold a ton of Taurus's in the 80's and 90's, Chevy sold a ton of Vega's.......)

Thanks in advance!

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Need some hands on advice!

I am not going to post this on the Note 4 forum, because there always seems to be more bashing going on about other phones from the Samsung camp. No disrespect intended, Samsung just sells a lot of phones, but, that doesn't mean they are the best.
(Ford sold a ton of Taurus's in the 80's and 90's, Chevy sold a ton of Vega's.......)

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Note 4 forum. :D

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

Sounds to me like you are biased toward a M9.
I like Sense. It's my favorite manufacturers skin.
When I got my Incredible most reviews and experts said the phone to get was the Moto X. I got the Inc, was happy with it in spite of all the snide remarks and bad reviews. Yeah it had its faults but it was what I wanted and it's what I got and kept until getting a Rezound, again in spite of the nay sayers and was happy with it for well over 2 years.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

I only have the note 4 and I have owned an M8 as well.. And I'd say, that unless it's touchwiz that you want to get rid of then you SHOULD consider switching to the M9. Sense is without a doubt one of the best android skins available. It can even rival the stock version.

Other than that I don't think the M9 can provide you with anything more than what is already available to you in the Note 4. Other than the size which is more ergonomic with HTC.

Built quality is good on both.
Sound is obviously better with the M9.
Battery life is equal. Plus there's removable option in the Note.
The screen is better on the Note. Obviously.
Both handle everyday tasks rather well. HTC does them faster though.
The camera is of course better on the Note.

With your use I'd say switch only if you're not satisfied with how touchwiz looks and works. The looks can be changed though. But that's the only thing that I can pin point (although I don't have any problem with touchwiz. And I have used aaaaaall OEM skins).

I love HTC. And I've hated Samsung all these years. I've used THE M8. It was amazing. I'm using the Note and it's equally amazing.

HTC is going towards all the wrong directions. They need to figure things out or else they will end up like Sony. Making amazing products but don't know how to market them.

Samsung on the other hand have just started doing things right.

I'd say stick with Samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App

bmac143

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. I had the Moto X for a brief period, and really was underwhelmed. The Razr Maxx HD is still my favorite Moto product. Too bad it's obsolete.

bmac143

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

Riz,

Thanks for the in depth reply. This is truly a challenging/exciting time in the cell phone arena, because there have been so many advances the last few years, that now, things are settling into to more incremental advancements. I have been a Craigslist guy for years, saving my upgrades and satisfying my desire for something new with used phones. Unfortunately, as you may well know, Craigslist, at least in my area, has become an avenue for the not-so-forthright individuals in the world to make some money selling junk. So, after my long list of previous phones, (Maxx HD, S3, S4, S5, Note 2, Note 3, G2, G3, Lumia 928, DNA, M8, iPhone 5s, (yuck), and a couple of bad luck purchases on CL, I decided to use an upgrade. I knew going in it was going to be a tough choice, because they are all pretty much on the same playing field, except for the UI. I was torn between the M9 and Note 4, because the M8 was a great phone, as was the Note 3. I guess I am disappointed because the Note 4 wasn't THAT much of an upgrade, (I know the M9 is similar) but, there were no decent M8's or Note 3's for sale used. I think my best avenue, since I have the 4, and, since the M9 is also only an incremental upgrade from the M8, would be to keep my eyes out for an M8 in decent shape, buy it, and have the ability to switch when the wild hair hits me, and I want to break up with Samsung.
Thanks again for the input, as much of a tech geek that I am, I should REALLY look into custom ROMs for some of these phones I use, then I would probably have more flexibility in UI.
Too bad the Razr Maxx HD, and the Droid DNA are pretty much obsolete now, great phones back in the days.

Be well!

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried nova launcher and reducing your animation times? Doing that will remove a lot of the annoying aspects of TouchWiz (lag). I'll admit the note 4 definitely has some annoying aspects and I do miss HTC sense, but the screen makes up for those short comings for me anyway.

bmac143

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

Zeus,
Thanks for the animation tip, and, have played around with Nova in the past. I will play around a bit with adjustments. Would love to have Sense on a Note 4.............:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair