Verizon Galaxy Note 4 Stuck in Boot Loop after Latest Update. How can I get it out of it?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon Galaxy Note 4 Stuck in Boot Loop after Latest Update

I received my used phone from VZW, placed my existing battery into and out went right back into the boot loop. I decided to replace the battery. I decided to put it into the the phone I purchased. It fired right up.

So at least in my case the update fried my battery some how.

VZW store would never be able to do that type of testing since they do not carry or sell replacement batteries.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

xDCMxSushi

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Mine has done the same thing. The first time, I let it reboot and reboot until the battery ran out. When I charged it, it booted just fine. The second time, I waited until it started the sequence, then held the power button and the volume down button simultaneously until the boot menu appeared. I selected the option to power the phone off. I charged it fully, then rebooted and the issue was resolved.

I hope this helps someone (or everyone).

I have a good feeling about this one... Because I do think this is caused by the battery getting messed up from the latest update. It only boot loops when I don't have my phone plugged in, or if you plug it into something too weak (like plugging it into your PC). I guess somehow, the update made the batteries and the charge indicator de-sync and there's a lot less juice than it says there is. I'll try this and get back to you if it works! :)

Edit: Yeah, so its not really a matter of the battery de-syncing... But I guess it does have something to do with the battery... I tried flashing 4.4.4, but it doesn't work. I guess the only thing left to try is to just order a new battery and hope for the best.

Edit #2: So, it seems that not only do I get a boot loop, but the boot loops get worse and worse. By that I mean... My phone used to boot loop exclusively when it was unplugged. But now, it still crashes and starts boot looping even when its plugged in, particularly when the phone gets a little hot from high CPU usage. (The overheating could also be a result of the update). I still have yet to get my battery, so I'll update once more when that happens and HOPEFULLY, it'll fix things.

Last edited:

Nardalus

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing.

Verizon sent me a refirb, swaped out the battery and the refirb went right into the loop. After an hour of talking to customer service, then tech support, they transferred me to Samsung. They told me to do a factory reset (which i have done several times, also tried to drain the battery, flash the firmware) nothing works. Samsung told me i could send them the phone for evaluation/repair, which can take up to 2 weeks. Not an ideal answer as i have already been dealing with this bootloop and verizon trying to make it right for almost 2 weeks.

The only time my phone doesn't bootloop is when its attached to AC. Laptop wont power it up, neither will my car AC. I basically have a land-line. The only solution is to buy a new battery? I've had this phone for less than a month. The update bricked my battery, and i should be OK eating that cost? Such a freaking joke... Really missing my iPhone.

xDCMxSushi

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing.

Verizon sent me a refirb, swaped out the battery and the refirb went right into the loop. After an hour of talking to customer service, then tech support, they transferred me to Samsung. They told me to do a factory reset (which i have done several times, also tried to drain the battery, flash the firmware) nothing works. Samsung told me i could send them the phone for evaluation/repair, which can take up to 2 weeks. Not an ideal answer as i have already been dealing with this bootloop and verizon trying to make it right for almost 2 weeks.

The only time my phone doesn't bootloop is when its attached to AC. Laptop wont power it up, neither will my car AC. I basically have a land-line. The only solution is to buy a new battery? I've had this phone for less than a month. The update bricked my battery, and i should be OK eating that cost? Such a freaking joke... Really missing my iPhone.

I just got my new battery and replaced it and it works perfectly. I'm not an expert, but its pretty clear to me that the newest update broke all our batteries. So buying a new battery should fix the problem. It did for me. Best of luck to everyone!

Edit: Just chatted with a Samsung Customer Service Agent, and they agreed to take my old battery and do some tests on it. If they find that its faulty (and they should), they'll send me a replacement free of charge. They supplied me with an electronic label, as well, so I won't need to pay for any sort of shipping whatsoever. So it'd be worth taking the time to talk to a rep and get things figured out.

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

New battery worked for mine. I sent the used phone back and kept mine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NJuice6

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 had all the same issues talked about in this post.

I got the new 5.0.1 update, reboot loops started to occur, only solution was plugging it into charger, went to Verizon, they sent me a refurbished phone, the refurbished phone instantly started to boot loop upon turning it on.

So solution to all of this is: its the battery. I ordered a new battery and all my reboot issues have been solved. As suggested by another user, something with the 5.0.1 update must have turned the battery to junk. Hope this helps.

idot123

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

I also have the same issues as everyone else does on this thread. I noticed when it always boot loops when I access my camera or Snapchat. Should I consider try someone how to go to another old version? I really do not want to have to go through the hassle of getting contacts..

Also can someone link me the battery they bought for their Note 4. There's like a billion different ones on Amazon and I don't know which one? And is it worth going to the Verizon Service Center? Thanks in advance!

Ludwig VanHelm

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I've had the EXACT same problem as you did! Whenever I accessed the camera, my phone would be thrown into a bootloop, and, last night, I got it working again after letting the battery drain and plugging it in to charge. But, this afternoon, I tried to go into the camera again and it went right back into the bootloop, so I'm incredibly stressed and pissed off. I called Samsung about it, and the agent had me do a factory reset, but the problem still persisted. So he said that I had to send it in for repair, but that'll be much too long of a wait for me (2 weeks), so I don't know where to go from here either. I'm going to try to see if I can test the battery and see if that could be behind this.

Did you update your phone awhile before this problem started? Or were you doing something to your phone before you noticed this problem? Any kind of info you can provide would be awesome.

I'll provide updates whenever I find something that works...

idot123

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I think I updated sometime in August...before this update, my phone was fully functional and I didn't do any mods or roms to it. Just used it for your standard social media and internet browsing. Tomorrow, I'm going to visit Verizon and see what they tell me. I'll also contact samsung too. It should be noted that other than this camera problem, I can still use my phone, but i just can't take pictures or use snapchat, which is very frustrating. I might try looking into flashing a previous version but I just don't want to go through the hassle of losing my contacts, requesting everyone etc.

I might just bite the bullet and buy another battery and test that out but I want to make sure it is not some off-brand stuff and that it is from the manufacturers of the Note 4.

Will give updates when I get them. Good luck!

edit: so couple of things: I went to verizon and they said that they could only give me a refirb model, which is fine, but I'd much rather keep the original and find out what's wrong. I called up Samsung and they had me do factory reset which doesn't help, which definitely leads me to believe that it is a hardware issue with the phone or the battery. They asked me to go to Best Buy to flash HD to see what happens but that did not work...So I'm going to call Samsung and I might send my phone or I'll bite the bullet and see what Verizon refirb model gets me

Last edited:

mannankhanna

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Same problem! I had assumed it could have been some app acting funny, but the problem came back in safe mode as well. The same issue happened on my replacement device and I finally took it to the store, where the representative changed the battery (without any cost) and fixed my problems. It's definitely the battery and I havent faced a problem in the last few hours. Something about being overcharged??!! Glad I was able to come to a solution and thought of posting this...if only I'd have come across this post a few days early!

F_B

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Why oh why did I drop my iphones and go to Samsung.
My Note 4 is junk!!!!!! I have the reboot problem. Verizon tries to make nice
and make you think you are getting a new phone but it's a phone that has
most likely already failed at least once. Never in two iterations of Iphones
did I have a problem. My Note 4 is now flipping me off every sixty seconds
with the company name that manufactured the brick I now own and may I
say at full price. Plus, at the moment I have two worthless bricks. Thank
you Verizon and thank you Samsung. I wonder if Verizon would mind if
I tried the Discount tire commercial thing and throw both of my bricks through
their window. :mad:

Pimpcasso

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey buddy,

Same thing happened to me. I'm on hold with Verizon now. You could have put in an external memory card, plugged the phone in using the quick charger, then transfer files off that way.

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Mine did the same thing, however at this time Samsung no longer makes a new replacement battery for the Note 4, you can get a Samsung marked battery, however these most likely will be old, well used, refurbished or worse completely dead, unfortunately there are unscrupulous thieves out there who will sell you junk, even on Amazon...I did end up buying a battery from Anker, $16 free same day shipping from Amazon, solved the boot loop issue for me ! Hope this still helps other Note 4 owners out there

Hannah0128

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem and got the software flashed, got my battery checked and I was still having this problem. However, when I switched batteries with my sister, who also has a note 4, i stopped experiencing thus problem wnd hers started, so long story short, a new battery was my solution

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I got a NIB note 4 but apparently sitting in a warehouse somewhere for years because the battery was almost dead. It would rapidly go from 100% to about 50% in 2 hours and then shutdown or reboot.

got a 10,000 mah cell that fixed it. made by ZeroLemon. No use for tiny 3000+ mah cells.