09-14-2017 01:28 PM
37 12
tools
    Hello!

My note 4 received a software update from Verizon sometime around the middle of the week last week, and the first time I tried to update, it failed midway. This worried me at first, but it booted back up fine, and seemed to be working perfectly. Sometime yesterday I got the request to update again, and this time the update completed successfully. The phone was functioning fine for the first half of the day. Around noon, the phone started crashing unexpectedly, more so than usual, and would get stuck in a boot loop 2 or 3 times before becoming semi-stable again. Towards the end of the night, it got to where it was stuck in the boot loop for around 30 minutes. Sometimes when it would boot completely up, the second you tried to unlock it, it would crash again. This morning, things have gotten even worse. It was doing the boot loop thing again, so I decided to perform a factory reset. All went well with that, however, after going through the setup process, it crashed again and got stuck in the loop. This time there appears to be no sign of it letting up. It won't even get past the "Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Powered by Android" screen. There is usually a Samsung, and then Verizon screen that follows before the completion of boot. I really have no idea what to do at this point.

The Verizon store here is open until around 7 I believe, so visiting the store is also an option. Any and all help is appreciated!
    07-19-2015 01:49 PM
    Sorry to hear that PCformer. Hopefully this isn't a bad sign but ...

Today I received a notification to update. I said yes.
    My phone never came back on. will not charge. nothing

Note 4 - upgrading to 5.1.1 (i'm assuming)
    on Verizon
    07-19-2015 10:28 PM
    Mine is doing the same thing.
    07-20-2015 11:32 AM
    I didn't have any issues with my update, and its not 5.1.1
    07-20-2015 12:27 PM
    I'm having the same issue, its driving me crazy.
    Galaxy Note 4 on Verizon.
    The loop will stop if I plug in the charger but as soon as you unplug it, boom, instant loop again.

I tried to clear the cache but didn't help.

Hope there Si a patch soon.
    07-20-2015 09:39 PM
    Don't bother taking it to a Verizon store. Unless you are there to pad their wallets by purchasing a new phone you will not get the time of day.
    07-20-2015 09:49 PM
    Sorry to hear that PCformer. Hopefully this isn't a bad sign but ...

Today I received a notification to update. I said yes.
    My phone never came back on. will not charge. nothing

Note 4 - upgrading to 5.1.1 (i'm assuming)
    on Verizon
    UPDATE: Today I went to Verizon and to CPR (cell phone repair) and they said they couldn't do anything. Verizon ordered me a new phone (either on them or on warranty). I wish I could get some of my stuff off of it.
    07-20-2015 09:53 PM
    Mine has done the same thing. The first time, I let it reboot and reboot until the battery ran out. When I charged it, it booted just fine. The second time, I waited until it started the sequence, then held the power button and the volume down button simultaneously until the boot menu appeared. I selected the option to power the phone off. I charged it fully, then rebooted and the issue was resolved.

I hope this helps someone (or everyone).
    dabombcra likes this.
    07-21-2015 12:21 AM
    It bricked mine. I had a lot of fun arguing with the VZW store manager who tried to convince me that Samsung controls all of the updates on their phones and VZW had no control over it.

I hope the Kool-aid they drink is yummy.
    07-21-2015 02:17 AM
    Hello!

My note 4 received a software update from Verizon sometime around the middle of the week last week, and the first time I tried to update, it failed midway. This worried me at first, but it booted back up fine, and seemed to be working perfectly. Sometime yesterday I got the request to update again, and this time the update completed successfully. The phone was functioning fine for the first half of the day. Around noon, the phone started crashing unexpectedly, more so than usual, and would get stuck in a boot loop 2 or 3 times before becoming semi-stable again. Towards the end of the night, it got to where it was stuck in the boot loop for around 30 minutes. Sometimes when it would boot completely up, the second you tried to unlock it, it would crash again. This morning, things have gotten even worse. It was doing the boot loop thing again, so I decided to perform a factory reset. All went well with that, however, after going through the setup process, it crashed again and got stuck in the loop. This time there appears to be no sign of it letting up. It won't even get past the "Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Powered by Android" screen. There is usually a Samsung, and then Verizon screen that follows before the completion of boot. I really have no idea what to do at this point.

The Verizon store here is open until around 7 I believe, so visiting the store is also an option. Any and all help is appreciated!
    I am going to stave off that update as long as possible. The last one screwed up my phone so badly I had to wipe it and restore it twice.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-21-2015 05:42 AM
    Sorry to hear about your issue. Try booting into safe mode if possible if it doesn't continue it is more than likely an app that's not playing well with the update.

07-21-2015 06:02 PM
    UPDATE: Today I went to Verizon and to CPR (cell phone repair) and they said they couldn't do anything. Verizon ordered me a new phone (either on them or on warranty). I wish I could get some of my stuff off of it.
    It isn't going to be a new phone. It will be one of their "certified like new" used phones. Unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    07-21-2015 06:04 PM
    I did the same thing. They are sending me a phone (refurb) overnight. I'm a lil bummed that its a refurb but if it works it will be better then mine.
    pauldroidr2d2 likes this.
    07-21-2015 10:16 PM
    I did the same thing. They are sending me a phone (refurb) overnight. I'm a lil bummed that its a refurb but if it works it will be better then mine.
    It bothers me for two reasons, first being it has something to do with the update they pushed out. The second is for being lied to about who pushes the updates.

07-21-2015 10:19 PM
    Well, I received my refurb (doesn't come with a battery, back or stylus). So, I put my SIM in, slapped my battery in and boom right back to a boot loop. So, I guess its the battery... is there any way a system update can fry a battery and its just a coincidence?
    07-22-2015 10:42 PM
    I'm interested to know if the battery solves the problem. I'm waiting for my used phone to be delivered.

07-22-2015 10:54 PM
    Well, I received my refurb (doesn't come with a battery, back or stylus). So, I put my SIM in, slapped my battery in and boom right back to a boot loop. So, I guess its the battery... is there any way a system update can fry a battery and its just a coincidence?
    I wonder if the problem could be that the SIM has somehow been damaged/corrupted. You should be able to get a replacement SIM to try at a VZW store.

Larry
    07-22-2015 11:03 PM
    My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is doing the same thing. Stuck in reboot after the new software update I installed yesterday. I can't even get pass the Samsung startup screen. Sometimes It won't turn on. The two times I was able to get out of constant reboot I got a "andriod is optimizing" screen and then it goes black. I'm having a new battery delivered tomorrow, so I am hoping but doubtful that this will fix my issue. I have tried everything I can from booting into recovery mode. Nothing is fixing my phone. This is BS and I am regretting to the fullest my decision to "upgrade andriod" My phone is a brick.
    07-22-2015 11:18 PM
    My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is doing the same thing. Stuck in reboot after the new software update I installed yesterday. I can't even get pass the Samsung startup screen. Sometimes It won't turn on. The two times I was able to get out of constant reboot I got a "andriod is optimizing" screen and then it goes black. I'm having a new battery delivered tomorrow, so I am hoping but doubtful that this will fix my issue. I have tried everything I can from booting into recovery mode. Nothing is fixing my phone. This is BS and I am regretting to the fullest my decision to "upgrade andriod" My phone is a brick.
    Don't plan on the VZW store being off any help. The only people they give the time of day are those that they can get a sales commission off of.

The company's structure is horrible!

Look at the bright side though, they will offer you one of their used phones to replace the one that their update broke.

07-22-2015 11:44 PM
    It isn't the 5.1.1. Its an update to the 5.0.1. Am hoping mine is OK. Just completed the upgrade . If it bricks out I will be very irritated

07-23-2015 01:18 AM
    I received my used phone from VZW, placed my existing battery into and out went right back into the boot loop. I decided to replace the battery. I decided to put it into the the phone I purchased. It fired right up.

So at least in my case the update fried my battery some how.

VZW store would never be able to do that type of testing since they do not carry or sell replacement batteries.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    07-24-2015 01:31 PM
    Mine has done the same thing. The first time, I let it reboot and reboot until the battery ran out. When I charged it, it booted just fine. The second time, I waited until it started the sequence, then held the power button and the volume down button simultaneously until the boot menu appeared. I selected the option to power the phone off. I charged it fully, then rebooted and the issue was resolved.

I hope this helps someone (or everyone).
    I have a good feeling about this one... Because I do think this is caused by the battery getting messed up from the latest update. It only boot loops when I don't have my phone plugged in, or if you plug it into something too weak (like plugging it into your PC). I guess somehow, the update made the batteries and the charge indicator de-sync and there's a lot less juice than it says there is. I'll try this and get back to you if it works! (:

Edit: Yeah, so its not really a matter of the battery de-syncing... But I guess it does have something to do with the battery... I tried flashing 4.4.4, but it doesn't work. I guess the only thing left to try is to just order a new battery and hope for the best.

Edit #2: So, it seems that not only do I get a boot loop, but the boot loops get worse and worse. By that I mean... My phone used to boot loop exclusively when it was unplugged. But now, it still crashes and starts boot looping even when its plugged in, particularly when the phone gets a little hot from high CPU usage. (The overheating could also be a result of the update). I still have yet to get my battery, so I'll update once more when that happens and HOPEFULLY, it'll fix things.
    07-27-2015 01:34 PM

Verizon sent me a refirb, swaped out the battery and the refirb went right into the loop. After an hour of talking to customer service, then tech support, they transferred me to Samsung. They told me to do a factory reset (which i have done several times, also tried to drain the battery, flash the firmware) nothing works. Samsung told me i could send them the phone for evaluation/repair, which can take up to 2 weeks. Not an ideal answer as i have already been dealing with this bootloop and verizon trying to make it right for almost 2 weeks.

The only time my phone doesn't bootloop is when its attached to AC. Laptop wont power it up, neither will my car AC. I basically have a land-line. The only solution is to buy a new battery? I've had this phone for less than a month. The update bricked my battery, and i should be OK eating that cost? Such a freaking joke... Really missing my iPhone.
    08-04-2015 04:13 PM

Verizon sent me a refirb, swaped out the battery and the refirb went right into the loop. After an hour of talking to customer service, then tech support, they transferred me to Samsung. They told me to do a factory reset (which i have done several times, also tried to drain the battery, flash the firmware) nothing works. Samsung told me i could send them the phone for evaluation/repair, which can take up to 2 weeks. Not an ideal answer as i have already been dealing with this bootloop and verizon trying to make it right for almost 2 weeks.

The only time my phone doesn't bootloop is when its attached to AC. Laptop wont power it up, neither will my car AC. I basically have a land-line. The only solution is to buy a new battery? I've had this phone for less than a month. The update bricked my battery, and i should be OK eating that cost? Such a freaking joke... Really missing my iPhone.
    I just got my new battery and replaced it and it works perfectly. I'm not an expert, but its pretty clear to me that the newest update broke all our batteries. So buying a new battery should fix the problem. It did for me. Best of luck to everyone!

Edit: Just chatted with a Samsung Customer Service Agent, and they agreed to take my old battery and do some tests on it. If they find that its faulty (and they should), they'll send me a replacement free of charge. They supplied me with an electronic label, as well, so I won't need to pay for any sort of shipping whatsoever. So it'd be worth taking the time to talk to a rep and get things figured out.
    pauldroidr2d2 likes this.
    08-04-2015 09:00 PM
    New battery worked for mine. I sent the used phone back and kept mine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    08-04-2015 11:11 PM
37 12