09-27-2015 04:30 AM
87 ... 234
tools
    When using my N4 to write or reply to email and text.... I only use my Spen! Much faster for me! I have long finger nails and have never mastered the "heat sensitive" screen with finger tips! I actually use the Spen for Everything! Love it!
    08-13-2015 10:38 PM
    I appreciate that those with long fingernails, or big fat fingers find the s-pen more manouverable...

just took me 10 minutes to figure out how to activate the screen writing action while trying to respond to an email... not trying to create animosity between S-pen users and non-users. Really just looking for real world use ideas/tips... which don't actually use more of my time...

I am using this pen daily... action memos getting better at recognizing my handwriting. Curious, the mistakes it makes, given folks always raved about the neatness of my penmanship.

Also funny that I still remember & try to use some tricks from my Palm III - V days...
    08-13-2015 11:33 PM
    I appreciate that those with long fingernails, or big fat fingers find the s-pen more manouverable...

just took me 10 minutes to figure out how to activate the screen writing action while trying to respond to an email... not trying to create animosity between S-pen users and non-users. Really just looking for real world use ideas/tips... which don't actually use more of my time...

I am using this pen daily... action memos getting better at recognizing my handwriting. Curious, the mistakes it makes, given folks always raved about the neatness of my penmanship.

Also funny that I still remember & try to use some tricks from my Palm III - V days...
    Did you see the links I posted? They have nothing to do with responding to email or text, etc. I upload a lit if screenshots I have no need to keep and I can crop what I need, upload and it doesn't save it unless I tell it too. That is using Smart Select. I pull out my spen and the menu pops up automatically to choose what I want to do with the spen, a screenshot and write, which is screen write, an action memo which does a ton, a image clip or I tap the back button and don't do any of those things and use it for something else.

I use mine all the time and never use it to respond to email, text or type a post. If you are where you can hold the N4 in one hand and the spen in another, using gesture typing or Swype to do an email (which is usually longer than a text) is very fast and easy.

I use action memo a lot to write down an appointment or task and with two clicks add it to my calendar.

But again, if you are sitting down doing an email, using your keyboard and gesture typing to do an email is much quicker and more accurate than tap typing it or gesture typing with your finger and certainty faster and easier than trying to hand write it with the spen.
    08-14-2015 03:29 AM
    I don't think that will happen. The majority of Note owners actually get the Note series for the spen. While many might not know how advanced the N4 spen is and that it isn't a simple stylus, they understand the function of it and want it. The way Samsung has advanced the spen to an actual accessory that is required to access many features of the phone, makes me think they won't be getting rid of it.

I'm wondering how many that never touch their spen, even read the couple of links I posted about just a few of the things the spen will do. If people don't research it and know how highly functional it is, the time it saves with many things, then they won't use it.
    I don't know... from what I heard going from OG Note to the Note4 at least... most people bought it for the Big Nice screen and could have cared less about the pen. This is just personal and from what I've heard and seen... whereas most at least put in an SD card - very few found a use for the pen.

I use the pen all the time myself... but I feel even more in a minority here than I do with Removable battery and SD card.

Now that there are other big screen options like the S6+ for Samsung fans... the Nexus 6 and others for Android fans, and the iPhone 6+ for Apple fans... these will all cannibalize Note sales... and at with nothing else besides the pen being a draw (not even an edge sku this time around) - how low will sales drop? Only time will tell I guess (if they ever give us good numbers.)
    plumcrazy likes this.
    08-14-2015 12:19 PM
    I don't know... from what I heard going from OG Note to the Note4 at least... most people bought it for the Big Nice screen and could have cared less about the pen. This is just personal and from what I've heard and seen... whereas most at least put in an SD card - very few found a use for the pen.

I use the pen all the time myself... but I feel even more in a minority here than I do with Removable battery and SD card.

Now that there are other big screen options like the S6+ for Samsung fans... the Nexus 6 and others for Android fans, and the iPhone 6+ for Apple fans... these will all cannibalize Note sales... and at with nothing else besides the pen being a draw (not even an edge sku this time around) - how low will sales drop? Only time will tell I guess (if they ever give us good numbers.)
    I am a N1, N2, N3 and N4 user and each one, the spen evolved. This is the first time the S series and the Note series is the same phone underneath.

S6 didn't sell as much at pre-sell last year, but picked up. I've always seen them be honest about the sales. The first Note was more of a stylus, but from being on Android Central since before they released the Note 1, users have never just been about the screen and not the spen. Before you couldn't compare any S phone to a Note phone, they just did different things.

I'm without an SD card for the first time since owning a phone right now. The only issue has been when switching phone, wallpaper and ring tones aren't there. I have been doing cloud based storage for a while now. I have just different storage than before and it just takes getting used to is all. There have been large screen phones besides the Notes for a while. This is the first time I've seen owners around here not take advantage of the function of the spen.
    08-15-2015 09:23 AM
    Did you see the links I posted?
    yes, i saw your posts, generally have no need to do any of those things... our usage is just different, no need to get defensive...
    08-15-2015 07:42 PM
    yes, i saw your posts, generally have no need to do any of those things... our usage is just different, no need to get defensive...
    That was not being defensive.

I thought most people used maps, emails, adding contacts, texting, etc on their phone.

I just don't write down an address on a paper anymore and the type it in maps. All contacts I add aren't from one I have just called and while I thumb type most things, there are times I need to do something long and gesture typing is easier, or write down an appointment, etc, when I'm on the phone and it is a phone call that last more than 30 seconds.

When I'm in the office, I don't even have to keep a pen and notebook anymore.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-15-2015 08:14 PM
    I have had the Note 2, 3 and skipped the 4 the lack of memory above 32GB was just not worth getting. Still I did use the SPen some, just not always the way Samsung promotes it like editing photos. I did find it very useful for quick notes, contact info on the fly etc being in my line of work it does help.
    08-16-2015 08:57 PM
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that barely use mine!

Note 3
    08-16-2015 09:16 PM
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that barely use mine!

Note 3
    same here! there are a lot of us.
    08-27-2015 09:48 AM
    I just don't write down an address on a paper anymore and the type it in maps. All contacts I add aren't from one I have just called and while I thumb type most things, there are times I need to do something long and gesture typing is easier, or write down an appointment, etc, when I'm on the phone and it is a phone call that last more than 30 seconds.

When I'm in the office, I don't even have to keep a pen and notebook anymore.
    I agree Kelly - I looked at the S6 Edge+ and the Note 5 yesterday and as much as I try to convince myself to go to the Edge+, I still use the Pen JUST enough to make me want to stay with the NOTE series. Especially now, with the NEW ability to write on a black screen without logging in - quick phone number, license plate number... whatever. The S-Pen has it's benefits to me!
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-27-2015 10:21 AM
    There is so much you can do with just the action memo. You can write down info, while on a call or not and from that action memo, using the spen, you can email someone, add someone to your contacts, add an appointment to your calendar, go to a website in the browser, call someone, put an address into the navigation of maps and bring up the map.
    I am a new Note 4 user and am using the S pen often right now, I am finding it a useful tool for me. Great post Kelly!
    09-27-2015 04:30 AM
87 ... 234