I have never used the S-Pen in my Note 4, Note 3, and Note 2.... (never even pulled it out)

azdenn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Had to have it for access to work apps... still prefer the Nokia 1520 visually, screen was larger on 1520 too... fingerprints don't bother me either

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I could care less if someone doesn't use the s pen. there's plenty of people who'll barely give it a thought. nothing new there really.
Though I have to say I do find it a bit annoying when people take some sort of weird pride in it, like they're somehow cooler for not using it. sort of like someone saying, "nope, never use GPS, no use for it!" ok. cool. you're really cool. I want to be like you.
Anyway, I had the 2 briefly and the 3 for over a year. The pen is the absolute best for screenshots/cropping. putting dimensions on photos, whether for actual construction, or just taking a room pic and putting dimensions on it for fitting furniture. sending maps with notes/arrows. super fast for swyping on keyboards. great for moving the slider on videos (like pinpointing a spot on the time bar). scrolling web pages... The thing is if you're chilling, spending time browsing or watching videos, it's awesome. you don't want to put it away. But if you're just getting in and out, looking something up quickly, then maybe there's little point in taking it out. my note 3 silo always put up a struggle. maybe the newer auto-eject will change that.
However, I never did catch on with the note taking. I thought the whole process kind of sucky. always seemed like it should be a much better experience than it was. But I blame Samsung for that (among other things). and maybe a little laziness on my part for not making it better but...
Anyhow, I definitely miss the s pen. But I don't miss the lag.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Nope don't need to hold the little stick to use my device.... I'm 6'4 275 so I purchased this phone for the size. Feels just right in my oversized hands. Love it!!

Posted via the Android Central App

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I use mine quite often: for Notes using S-Note app, to annotate pictures, sketching/drawing. I especially like it for some of my technical notes at work. I've lost countless notebooks of quickly jotted down notes during meetings and informal training... I now keep a folder in S-notes for work stuff, and know I can find them there... even including pictures should I need to.

However, anecdotal <sp?> posts like this - and talking to the few other Note owners I know - make me worry about the future of the s-pen and the Note line in general. I don't want to siderail this post, but after they dropped the SD, removable battery & IR blaster -> the pen is what really sets the Note aside from the S6+.

A common feeling is they could drop the removable battery and it won't hurt them much because it impacted few users. I'm guessing the same for the other features. If a majority of Note users are like the OP... how long before Samsung realizes that instead of two SKU's of essentially the same device, they can save costs by just producing the Sx+ series and dropping the pen (and its software) altogether.

I hope that doesn't happen, personally. But they've already made sure I (and at least a handful of others) won't buy the Note 5 with their current changes. :(

azdenn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just my opinion of course, but that is really sad to me!

Generally, I find people needing to make calls to clear up work issues, aren't really calling about work issues... it usually, or oftentimes turns out they're lonely and interrupting my workflow...

Quick txt, sms or other messaging can provide clarity w/o taking too much time out of the team's day...

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Generally, I find people needing to make calls to clear up work issues, aren't really calling about work issues... it usually, or oftentimes turns out they're lonely and interrupting my workflow...

Quick txt, sms or other messaging can provide clarity w/o taking too much time out of the team's day...
Is there a Dis-Like button on here that I am just missing.....sorry but this is even more insensitive then the first statement you made. In my line of work, and I would think truly any business is all about building relationships.....

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I own three Note phones.(4, 3, 2... still have all of them on my desk)

It just occurred to me that I have never ever used the S-Pen on any of them.

I was reading about the upcoming Note 5's auto-eject S-Pen so I decided to look my Note 4.... Took me a while to even figure out how to pull the S-Pen out(felt like an ***** :( )

Am I the only one who owns Note phones but never use the S-Pen?
Im exactly like you, never ever pulled out my S-Pen nor do I have a feeling that I need it. It's just a useless gimmick to me personally.

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Im exactly like you, never ever pulled out my S-Pen nor do I have a feeling that I need it. It's just a useless gimmick to me personally.

You don't need note. You need large phone. Nothing to feel proud of your comment. Gimmick for people who don't use it. Yes, my grand mother says smart phones are gimmick ;).

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Nope don't need to hold the little stick to use my device.... I'm 6'4 275 so I purchased this phone for the size. Feels just right in my oversized hands. Love it!!

The spen isn't a stick to use your device. It isn't simply a stylus, it is an accessory that does things that you can not do on your N4 without it. With the N1 and N2 it was more of a stylus, it hasn't been that way since the N3.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Actually many companies you have no choice but to call their landline, they don't operate their business with cell phones. I highly doubt people call a business because they are lonely. Only people I work with can reach me on my cell phone, customers do not get my cell phone number and I block my cell phone number when I have to call them back from my cell phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I use mine quite often: for Notes using S-Note app, to annotate pictures, sketching/drawing. I especially like it for some of my technical notes at work. I've lost countless notebooks of quickly jotted down notes during meetings and informal training... I now keep a folder in S-notes for work stuff, and know I can find them there... even including pictures should I need to.

However, anecdotal <sp?> posts like this - and talking to the few other Note owners I know - make me worry about the future of the s-pen and the Note line in general. I don't want to siderail this post, but after they dropped the SD, removable battery & IR blaster -> the pen is what really sets the Note aside from the S6+.

A common feeling is they could drop the removable battery and it won't hurt them much because it impacted few users. I'm guessing the same for the other features. If a majority of Note users are like the OP... how long before Samsung realizes that instead of two SKU's of essentially the same device, they can save costs by just producing the Sx+ series and dropping the pen (and its software) altogether.

I hope that doesn't happen, personally. But they've already made sure I (and at least a handful of others) won't buy the Note 5 with their current changes. :(

I don't think that will happen. The majority of Note owners actually get the Note series for the spen. While many might not know how advanced the N4 spen is and that it isn't a simple stylus, they understand the function of it and want it. The way Samsung has advanced the spen to an actual accessory that is required to access many features of the phone, makes me think they won't be getting rid of it.

I'm wondering how many that never touch their spen, even read the couple of links I posted about just a few of the things the spen will do. If people don't research it and know how highly functional it is, the time it saves with many things, then they won't use it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Still trying to like it, but not really finding any great uses for it yet... haven't managed to successfully complete any action memo activities that have been useful to me... for instance I have not been able to use this to answer any of these replies back to me ... without having to return to keyboard to correct spelling and punctuation, so for me, pulling out the S-pen effectively takes twice the amount of time to complete any of these posts

I never use the spen for replies or texts. The only time I have done that is if I just put lotion on my hands and then I Swype with the pen, I do not try to write replies or texts with it.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
When using my N4 to write or reply to email and text.... I only use my Spen! Much faster for me! I have long finger nails and have never mastered the "heat sensitive" screen with finger tips! I actually use the Spen for Everything! Love it!

azdenn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate that those with long fingernails, or big fat fingers find the s-pen more manouverable...

just took me 10 minutes to figure out how to activate the screen writing action while trying to respond to an email... not trying to create animosity between S-pen users and non-users. Really just looking for real world use ideas/tips... which don't actually use more of my time...

I am using this pen daily... action memos getting better at recognizing my handwriting. Curious, the mistakes it makes, given folks always raved about the neatness of my penmanship.

Also funny that I still remember & try to use some tricks from my Palm III - V days...

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate that those with long fingernails, or big fat fingers find the s-pen more manouverable...

just took me 10 minutes to figure out how to activate the screen writing action while trying to respond to an email... not trying to create animosity between S-pen users and non-users. Really just looking for real world use ideas/tips... which don't actually use more of my time...

I am using this pen daily... action memos getting better at recognizing my handwriting. Curious, the mistakes it makes, given folks always raved about the neatness of my penmanship.

Also funny that I still remember & try to use some tricks from my Palm III - V days...

Did you see the links I posted? They have nothing to do with responding to email or text, etc. I upload a lit if screenshots I have no need to keep and I can crop what I need, upload and it doesn't save it unless I tell it too. That is using Smart Select. I pull out my spen and the menu pops up automatically to choose what I want to do with the spen, a screenshot and write, which is screen write, an action memo which does a ton, a image clip or I tap the back button and don't do any of those things and use it for something else.

I use mine all the time and never use it to respond to email, text or type a post. If you are where you can hold the N4 in one hand and the spen in another, using gesture typing or Swype to do an email (which is usually longer than a text) is very fast and easy.

I use action memo a lot to write down an appointment or task and with two clicks add it to my calendar.

But again, if you are sitting down doing an email, using your keyboard and gesture typing to do an email is much quicker and more accurate than tap typing it or gesture typing with your finger and certainty faster and easier than trying to hand write it with the spen.

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that will happen. The majority of Note owners actually get the Note series for the spen. While many might not know how advanced the N4 spen is and that it isn't a simple stylus, they understand the function of it and want it. The way Samsung has advanced the spen to an actual accessory that is required to access many features of the phone, makes me think they won't be getting rid of it.

I'm wondering how many that never touch their spen, even read the couple of links I posted about just a few of the things the spen will do. If people don't research it and know how highly functional it is, the time it saves with many things, then they won't use it.

I don't know... from what I heard going from OG Note to the Note4 at least... most people bought it for the Big Nice screen and could have cared less about the pen. This is just personal and from what I've heard and seen... whereas most at least put in an SD card - very few found a use for the pen.

I use the pen all the time myself... but I feel even more in a minority here than I do with Removable battery and SD card.

Now that there are other big screen options like the S6+ for Samsung fans... the Nexus 6 and others for Android fans, and the iPhone 6+ for Apple fans... these will all cannibalize Note sales... and at with nothing else besides the pen being a draw (not even an edge sku this time around) - how low will sales drop? Only time will tell I guess (if they ever give us good numbers.)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know... from what I heard going from OG Note to the Note4 at least... most people bought it for the Big Nice screen and could have cared less about the pen. This is just personal and from what I've heard and seen... whereas most at least put in an SD card - very few found a use for the pen.

I use the pen all the time myself... but I feel even more in a minority here than I do with Removable battery and SD card.

Now that there are other big screen options like the S6+ for Samsung fans... the Nexus 6 and others for Android fans, and the iPhone 6+ for Apple fans... these will all cannibalize Note sales... and at with nothing else besides the pen being a draw (not even an edge sku this time around) - how low will sales drop? Only time will tell I guess (if they ever give us good numbers.)

I am a N1, N2, N3 and N4 user and each one, the spen evolved. This is the first time the S series and the Note series is the same phone underneath.

S6 didn't sell as much at pre-sell last year, but picked up. I've always seen them be honest about the sales. The first Note was more of a stylus, but from being on Android Central since before they released the Note 1, users have never just been about the screen and not the spen. Before you couldn't compare any S phone to a Note phone, they just did different things.

I'm without an SD card for the first time since owning a phone right now. The only issue has been when switching phone, wallpaper and ring tones aren't there. I have been doing cloud based storage for a while now. I have just different storage than before and it just takes getting used to is all. There have been large screen phones besides the Notes for a while. This is the first time I've seen owners around here not take advantage of the function of the spen.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
yes, i saw your posts, generally have no need to do any of those things... our usage is just different, no need to get defensive...

That was not being defensive.

I thought most people used maps, emails, adding contacts, texting, etc on their phone.

I just don't write down an address on a paper anymore and the type it in maps. All contacts I add aren't from one I have just called and while I thumb type most things, there are times I need to do something long and gesture typing is easier, or write down an appointment, etc, when I'm on the phone and it is a phone call that last more than 30 seconds.

When I'm in the office, I don't even have to keep a pen and notebook anymore.