Note 4 will not connect to PC

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Where do I type that command string?
On your phone dialer. Not all carriers/phones allow access to dialer codes so don't be surprised if nothing happens. If you are able to access, be careful what you type in. Do research before messing around in there!

S6Glass

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
This is a SOFTWARE PROBLEM. Not your cable. I use both a Linux and Windows and my phone connected easily to both, after a software update, can't get the computers and phone to talk to each other.

Omg finally someone who knows my problem.I tried connecting my S6 and PC has bo reaction.(no sound,nothing) but phone is charging and keeps restarting and stand stuck on logo and keep restarting..I can enter download mode..but still pcw'ont see the phone.What can I do? Thank you all!

OlaRufai

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Note 4 (Not connecting to my Windows 7 & Windows 10 PCs). The solution is:

Go to Settings (on the phone)
Scroll down to "Developer Options"
Ensure that "USB debugging" is ticked
Scroll down to "USB Configuration"
Select MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)

{Hope this helps someone}

OHegge

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
For those with issues connecting to a Windows computer, I was having a similar issue with a Nexus 7 and found this solution. I suspect it will work for the Note 4 as well:

Go into Devices and Printers on your windows PC >>> Right click your Note 4 >>> Properties >>> Hardware >>> Properties >>> Change settings >>> Driver >>> Uninstall. >>>>> Done >>>> Then unplug the Note 4 and replug

Thanks very much! That just solved the problem on my Note 4 and Win 10. :)

Jerry Schuller

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
For those with issues connecting to a Windows computer, I was having a similar issue with a Nexus 7 and found this solution. I suspect it will work for the Note 4 as well:

Go into Devices and Printers on your windows PC >>> Right click your Note 4 >>> Properties >>> Hardware >>> Properties >>> Change settings >>> Driver >>> Uninstall. >>>>> Done >>>> Then unplug the Note 4 and replug

This didn't work for me. However, it led me to the solution.
I went to Devices and Printers >>> Right click Note 4 >>> Troubleshoot. That fixed my problem.

bootlooped

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
So, I think a recent Samsung update from T-Mobile has done in my phone on this matter. I will see if MTP + ADB will work, as other folks have suggested. Is it possible it was on before, and the update just disabled it?

Posting below info in case it is meaningful.

Kernel version:
3.10.40-9385989
dpi@SWHD4419 #1
Thu Sep 21 19:12:29 KST 2017

Android security patch level
August 1, 2017

bootlooped

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
MTP + ADB + reboot phone worked. However, my original data cable doesn't work anymore, so I had to hunt around and eventually one worked. I got some failures during transfer, but successfully dealt with moving off all my photos and videos.

fosgate3

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I am having this problem with my Note4 too and I haven't had any luck with any of the suggestions thus far (except for a full factory reset which I haven't tried yet). When I connect my phone to my desktop or laptop, I get the message stating "USB device not recognized" in spite of having drivers installed. Kies doesn't recognize it either. I have tried multiple cables and I have the USB debugging enabled. The code *#0808# does nothing on my phone. I found the USB configuration option in the Developer Options part of the settings and changed it to Media Transfer Protocol but that didn't help (and soon afterwards, it changed back to "Charging" on its own). This all seemed to have happened after the last update.

Oh and I cannot save anything to the SD card because my phone quit reading the SD card sometime last year. I tried different SD cards but it didn't matter. My laptop and desktop read them fine. The phone will read the card after re-booting for about a minute and then give a message about no card being found or something. I wanted to root the phone and go back to the operating system that was on it when I got it to see if that would fix the SD card problem as that seemed to happen after the first or second OS update about a year and a half ago. But since I can't get the computer to "see" the phone via USB, my attempt to root it is on hold. Right now, I am transferring some 400 pictures to my laptop via Bluetooth so that I can have them backed up and then I can do a full factory reset. I am hoping that will fix the USB issue and then I can proceed with rooting it and downgrading the OS.

cantanchorus

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site

-------
Thank you, thank you, bertsirkin! First Google search item I clicked on and did the trick on my Note 4.