Note 4 will not connect to PC

melissasraja

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Ok so all of a sudden my Note 4 wont connect to my PC (windows 7 - connected fine before) so I can get my pics out of the phone and into the comp. I use my phone for tons of pics. Sending them by bluetooth is taking forever. How on earth can I get it to connect again with the cable? Im going nuts here. :(

mmakoto

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Make sure your phone is unlocked before you plug into the pc. Otherwise restart the phone and try again.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Try a different cable - I've had a lot of problems connecting mine to my computer, and finally tried different a different cable. It seems that some work and some don't - at least for me.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
When you connect your phone to the PC, does the PC acknowledge the connection... does it beep or anything?

If you look on your phone, do you see the USB icon anywhere on the top bar near the upper left corner? If you slide your notification panel down, do you see a notification that the phone is "Connected as an installer"? If you do see this notification, click on it and select Connect as... Media device (MTP).

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
The driver is installed and still wont connect to the PC. Does anyone have any ideas?

Go to Playstore download AirDroid, then on pc/laptop go to AirDroid.com and you can transfer any file, albums, photos etc via wifi. No setting up, just drag and drop. To sign in either QR read it or sign in with Google. I use it all the time. Never ever used USB etc. Have transferred over 200 albums to my sd card via AirDroid. Very quick too.
Good luck!!

Posted via the Android Central App

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
For those with issues connecting to a Windows computer, I was having a similar issue with a Nexus 7 and found this solution. I suspect it will work for the Note 4 as well:

Go into Devices and Printers on your windows PC >>> Right click your Note 4 >>> Properties >>> Hardware >>> Properties >>> Change settings >>> Driver >>> Uninstall. >>>>> Done >>>> Then unplug the Note 4 and replug

Travis Atkinson

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
After trying a million things from a million forums, I plugged it directly into the computer instead of the dock that I use for everything (including previous phones) and it worked right away. It has been charging just fine, but never recognized it as a USB storage device until I switched it. Hopefully this helps someone.

Hanif Ali Baloch

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
For those with issues connecting to a Windows computer, I was having a similar issue with a Nexus 7 and found this solution. I suspect it will work for the Note 4 as well:

Go into Devices and Printers on your windows PC >>> Right click your Note 4 >>> Properties >>> Hardware >>> Properties >>> Change settings >>> Driver >>> Uninstall. >>>>> Done >>>> Then unplug the Note 4 and replug

Guys please try *#0808# and select MTP + ADB from the list and reboot to save

Carl Claas

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
This is a SOFTWARE PROBLEM. Not your cable. I use both a Linux and Windows and my phone connected easily to both, after a software update, can't get the computers and phone to talk to each other.

miguelone236

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
This is the exact same issue I am having. There was an OS update (I think) from T-Mobile, and that was it; no more connection. I however used the Samsung cable that came with the phone and smart charger, and it worked fine. All of my Amazon cables are now useless, except for charging.

It probably is a driver issue, but how do I find the old driver that worked? Will it work with the OS update? Won't it just get overwritten next update with an equally crappy driver? Not worth the hassle. They have forced me to buy their cable with the 300% markup.

paradox60660

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When you connect to your computer via USB you will get a notification that it is in usb charging mode. Change it to what ever you want like transferring files.

Xranger375

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
This is the exact same issue I am having. There was an OS update (I think) from T-Mobile, and that was it; no more connection. I however used the Samsung cable that came with the phone and smart charger, and it worked fine. All of my Amazon cables are now useless, except for charging.

It probably is a driver issue, but how do I find the old driver that worked? Will it work with the OS update? Won't it just get overwritten next update with an equally crappy driver? Not worth the hassle. They have forced me to buy their cable with the 300% markup.

I now have the same issue. Haven't done any updates on Note 4. Running windows 10 on PC. All other USB devices are recognized and run fine, just not my phone. I need to backup all stuff that isnt on SD card (no room to move over amd am not going to get a larger card). Any ideas why my note 4 doesn't even show up when plugged in? Multiple cables tried as well.

rma11

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I now have the same issue. Haven't done any updates on Note 4. Running windows 10 on PC. All other USB devices are recognized and run fine, just not my phone. I need to backup all stuff that isnt on SD card (no room to move over amd am not going to get a larger card). Any ideas why my note 4 doesn't even show up when plugged in? Multiple cables tried as well.

I have a Galaxy Note 4 which won't connect.
My old Galaxy Note 2 will connect.
You're not alone someone please help

Last edited by a moderator:

Jorakal

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here. Everything has been fine until a couple of weeks ago. This worked for me:

"Guys please try *#0808# and select MTP + ADB from the list and reboot to save"

finyin

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have had a similar problem and found a solution on Windows 10 and Windows 7 OS's.

Plug into USB from phone. Pull down the notification screen on the phone and it will show "USB Charging" or similar words. It will also say "tap for options"! Options include file transfer, picture transfer and more. Felt such joy when I figured out that it was an Android update that changed how we tell the phone to communicate with a pc/laptop or tablet...

ljdr77

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I started having the same issue a few months ago. For me it was a cable issue. My wife and I both have the Note 4 and it started repeatedly connecting and disconnecting for both of us. We can no longer plug them into the computer using the OEM quick charge cable. We have pulled out a couple of our old Blackberry cables and they connect just fine again. Hope this helps

Scott123456789

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Yes this worked for me too. On computer go into printers and devices, then plug in phone via usb, device shows and right click note 4 icon to update the driver. Basic driver update fixes issue. Machine said windows update settings do not allow drivers to be updated... but no clear way to change this setting... Microsoft smarten up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2