Upgrading to Note 5 from the Note 4?

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Speed and reliability are important when it comes to MicroSD cards. Anyone who said they aren't is just fooling themselves. :)
Reliability yes speed no, my sd card is fast enough for all my music and videos. Pictures are loaded almost instantly and I don't care about that ufs crap.

I also need my backups, roms on the sd card. I really can't understand why would let companies spy on their content and also pay for it I.e. Using the cloud

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know anyone who pays for cloud access. I certainly don't. I also don't put anything up there that I care whether anyone sees or not. From a technical standpoint the stuff on your sd card is probably not a lot more secure than the cloud stuff anyway. If you do backups it's probably kind of out there. The way this tech stuff works now I try to not have or do anything I don't want others to see and I also just hope to be lost in the crowd. If you ever have a nasty divorce that has the word "discovery" involved a lot you'll completely give up the notions of "security" and "privacy" and just hope big brother lion eats the lamb next to you instead of you.

Reliability yes speed no, my sd card is fast enough for all my music and videos. Pictures are loaded almost instantly and I don't care about that ufs crap.

I also need my backups, roms on the sd card. I really can't understand why would let companies spy on their content and also pay for it I.e. Using the cloud

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
At this point non-removable battery and no SD card support is not my main problem. My problem is being abandoned by Samsung. Here in South Africa, the Note 4 is still on Kitkat. That is just stupid for Samsung to abandon a current device like this.

I downloaded the German ROM of lollipop and it worked well for a while besides the irritating Recent Apps lag. But a month later, the phone stopped reading my SD card, it didn't matter if I formatted it. So I installed Cyanogenmod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) and everything works perfectly and the phone is ultra smooth, oh and my SD card works just fine.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

You should feel lucky my friend, the Lollipop upgrade killed alot of people's battery life (including me.) I'd love to be able to downgrade to KitKat without ROOT

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Why would you want a MicroSD slot when all the MicroSD memory is slow as a turtle? Samsung's memory is at least twice as fast if not more compared to the current MicroSD cards. I may not buy a Note 5 as I have a Note 4 but I do like what Samsung has done with their new phones.

I keep all the photos and videos I take on my SD card, (and some apps) and I have no problems accessing them at all. Pretty much instantaneous. Doing that also frees the rest of my phone's storage, and 32GB is really all I need for that. It's silly to discount the option of expandable storage, who the heck would turn down more room?

"Hey your phone comes with 32GB of storage, but would you like a free Micro SD card slot for additional storage?"

"No, it's too slow." :/

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The reason I bought my Note 4 was because of the expandable memory and open battery slot (and the pen pressure sensitivity of course.) I might be tempted if there was a MicroSD slot, but I switch my batteries daily so unless the new battery lasts 2 days or a day and a half that’s a dealbreaker to me even with a MicroSD slot. Glass back? Fragile and almost pointless for the majority of people who buy cases for their phones. Tiered-pricing storage options? Bad idea, even worse if it doesn’t come with a Micro SD slot. Now we’re back to Samsung copying Apple instead of the other way around?

This is disheartening considering that I was hoping to upgrade next year to a marked down, year old Note 5 once my contract is up. Hopefully they bring things back to normal with the Note 6, and that it won’t get any bigger. I have enough problems fitting my phone in some of my pants, I have no need to carry an iPad Mini-sized “pocket” phone. Even if they bring back expandable options with the Note 6 it will suck to have to wait another 2 years for a new phone. Just bought a Gear 2 Neo too, I was going all-in with this Samsung thing after switching from an iPhone :/

taife32

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You should feel lucky my friend, the Lollipop upgrade killed alot of people's battery life (including me.) I'd love to be able to downgrade to KitKat without ROOT
If you download a stock Kitkat ROM for your device and region from Sammobile.com and then reset your phone and wipe Cache. Then flash the Kitkat ROM using ODIN, it should take you back to Kitkat without rooting.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm planning to move from note 2 yo note 4 soon. Would have gone to note 5 but nonremovable battery is a deal breaker

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I keep all the photos and videos I take on my SD card, (and some apps) and I have no problems accessing them at all. Pretty much instantaneous. Doing that also frees the rest of my phone's storage, and 32GB is really all I need for that. It's silly to discount the option of expandable storage, who the heck would turn down more room?

"Hey your phone comes with 32GB of storage, but would you like a free Micro SD card slot for additional storage?"

"No, it's too slow." :/

All my videos and pictures are on free unlimited cloud and I access them instantaneously. Also if my card fails, I don't lose my picture and videos.

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Im not upgrading to the Note 5, at least not yet. I'm waiting to see what the other manufactures will do. There are a lot of great rumors going around the horn.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't pay for any cloud and I have tons. Also I don't keep anything I care of anyone sees on the cloud. I copy it to a DVD and my external hard drive and the hard drive on my computer.

Google Photo is unlimited photo and video storage. You also have experience Google Drive and can get more with an extra Gmail account and it is no problem to upload do any of the drives. Also if you have Windows 8 or above, you should have free One Drive, you get more with a new Samsung phone and my Asus laptop comes with free cloud storage, as does my ISP. Also Google offers things all the time to increase your Drive storage. I went through their 5 minute account security check, such as checking that my info was correct and I had a recovery email address listed and a cell phone number if I wanted. That doubled my Google Drive storage.

Photos and videos go on Google Photo because it is free unlimited and other things go on Drive. Also things on my computer go on One Drive and they are accessible by my phone also. Android has been using cloud storage for a very long G time.

I don't put tax filing on the cloud or anything else I care about being public. You don't even have to have an external hard drive to store that stuff that you don't always need access to. You can get a thumb drive for. That stuff.

There are many other sealed battery, no SD card androids and have been for a long time. That isn't copying anyone.

Also people complained left and right about the polycarbonate Samsung and wanted premium materials. Well Samsung listened and that's what we have.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Also people complained left and right about the polycarbonate Samsung and wanted premium materials. Well Samsung listened and that's what we have.

I'm hoping that the complaints about no removable battery and no SD card will make a difference in the next Note.

Honestly, I think Samsung could add the SD card slot back in without too much difficulty. I could live with that.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping that the complaints about no removable battery and no SD card will make a difference in the next Note.

Honestly, I think Samsung could add the SD card slot back in without too much difficulty. I could live with that.

That's wishful thinking. It won't happen as long as Samsung continues to make its own memory chips.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Selling my note four, it's inactive as I got a m9 to use. I noticed last night on stand by my note 4 used 25% of the battery. I wonder what the hell happened is it a bad battery or I'd it caused by lollipop?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Selling my note four, it's inactive as I got a m9 to use. I noticed last night on stand by my note 4 used 25% of the battery. I wonder what the hell happened is it a bad battery or I'd it caused by lollipop?

You're selling, so not sure it matters, but could be a bad app or a bad battery cell. Check to see of your batter is swollen. I had that happen with my N3 at one year. Changed the battery and everything is fine again.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually considering going from my note 4 to a Nexus. Or I might just stay with the Note 4 for a few more months.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I read... and read some more - as a matter of fact that's all I did with the last 4 or 5 hours of yesterday. I'm going to the Verizon Store today to have a look - will probably make the jump. Already loaded the new "Samsung Switch" and did a backup of my Note 4 on my PC last night. I've just HAD IT with my Note 4's performance since the Lollipop upgrade and I'm tired of waiting for 5.1.1 to MAYBE fix it! Will report back...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad