Upgrading to Note 5 from the Note 4?

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I read... and read some more - as a matter of fact that's all I did with the last 4 or 5 hours of yesterday. I'm going to the Verizon Store today to have a look - will probably make the jump. Already loaded the new "Samsung Switch" and did a backup of my Note 4 on my PC last night. I've just HAD IT with my Note 4's performance since the Lollipop upgrade and I'm tired of waiting for 5.1.1 to MAYBE fix it! Will report back...

I'm happy with the move from the 4 to the 5. This thing destroys the US Note 4. World of Tanks went from 35 frames to 60 and from low to medium graphics. Also doesn't get nearly as hot nor does it drain quite as fast during these intense programs.

Only issue I'm having is a battery drain (sound familiar???) But this time it seems to be the cell standby, not the play services/battery n droid system

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I store so much on the cloud, I don't notice not having a card. It is really easy to adapt to using cloud storage, it isn't worse, just different.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I read... and read some more - as a matter of fact that's all I did with the last 4 or 5 hours of yesterday. I'm going to the Verizon Store today to have a look - will probably make the jump. Already loaded the new "Samsung Switch" and did a backup of my Note 4 on my PC last night. I've just HAD IT with my Note 4's performance since the Lollipop upgrade and I'm tired of waiting for 5.1.1 to MAYBE fix it! Will report back...

Wow - when I checked online with VZW, my wife's phone is eligible for upgrade on 9/4 but it showed an "Early Upgrade Special" for the Note 5 today. I tried to use hers to update mine but the "Early Upgrade Special" is only if I want to pay the $29.00 a month deal. Now I have to wait until 9/4 to do it with the $399 deal... I am an impatient person. Grrrr... did I mention that I'm an impatient person, damned it?

My Upgrade isn't until Oct of 2016!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow - when I checked online with VZW, my wife's phone is eligible for upgrade on 9/4 but it showed an "Early Upgrade Special" for the Note 5 today. I tried to use hers to update mine but the "Early Upgrade Special" is only if I want to pay the $29.00 a month deal. Now I have to wait until 9/4 to do it with the $399 deal... I am an impatient person. Grrrr... did I mention that I'm an impatient person, damned it?

That is nuts they consider this many days "early". There used to be a time when you were a customer in good standing that you could upgrade at 18 months just like it had been 24, with several carriers.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
That is nuts they consider this many days "early". There used to be a time when you were a customer in good standing that you could upgrade at 18 months just like it had been 24, with several carriers.

I think Verizon is the WORST for this... it borders on sheer arrogance at times (probably because they know they have the best coverage).

rocky28297

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Though the battery isn't removable, i came to know(through reviews) that note 5's battery is even better than the note 4.micro sd card is still a different opinion for different people........

Sent from my Micromax A116 using Tapatalk

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Wait a few weeks and read the Note 5 forums. Discoveries, good and bad, will be exposed on this phone. Just found out Samsung removed the Side panel app on the Note 5. Something I use daily on my Note 4! Not good IMHO!

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Played around with store model, and wasn't that impressed...not impressed enough to get rid of the Note 4 for it. I also am a HUGE fan of removable battery and expandable storage, so...no Note 5 for me in the near future for sure.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
The more I read about the Note 5 the more I realize how near perfect the Note 4 is, especially when it's on KitKat and there is no way I would ever part with it, at least not for the foreseeable future.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I do not think a lack of removable battery is an issue. A non removable SD card might depending on cost for more onboard storage. What is the deal breaker is the lack of support we get from Samsung. I have been a Note user since #2. Also have the 10.1. Both of them. No more support for either. I currently have the Notes Edge and support is junk at best and with the last update took away functions from the edge panel. I think the support we as Android users get is ****ty period. Goggle releases an update maybe 4-5 months later we get. After our carrier and our phone maker puts their bs bloat wear into it. That is unless you have a Nexus.

I just got the Note Edge, what was taken away?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The more I read about the Note 5 the more I realize how near perfect the Note 4 is, especially when it's on KitKat and there is no way I would ever part with it, at least not for the foreseeable future.

Well I'm about to have a Note 4 to sell, maybe you need an extra one just in case ☺

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The support for the S6E is junk?

As a long time Samsung customer, the support I get is above and beyond what many other companies give, always has been.

Just recently the covering on my Note 4 coed was pulling away from the part that plugs into the phone. They wanted me to send the entire charger in first and I said no, it was my fast charger and the only one I had. So they sent me out a new charger before I send in the defective one, which is backwards from how they do warranty exchanges.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Wait a few weeks and read the Note 5 forums. Discoveries, good and bad, will be exposed on this phone. Just found out Samsung removed the Side panel app on the Note 5. Something I use daily on my Note 4! Not good IMHO!
I used to use that a lot so that sucks for those that do. I still have it on my Note 3.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, i'm an I d i o t....i bought the Note 5, against my better judgement....will give it a shot and see what happens....so far, very smooth and feels good in the hand. Man, I can't believe I did this.... :-D

Still have my Note 4 though....just in case!!

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

Same here. I received my Note a week or so earlier than the official release.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, i'm an I d i o t....i bought the Note 5, against my better judgement....will give it a shot and see what happens....so far, very smooth and feels good in the hand. Man, I can't believe I did this.... :-D

Still have my Note 4 though....just in case!!
I'm cracking up here! ROTL!!! Just a few posts up, you said you weren't going to buy it! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so you know, besides the battery, SD slot, and IR Blaster, they removed a bunch of stuff (feature apps) that used to be on the Note 4. Compare them well, while you can!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I rolled back to KitKat the other day and I am loving it :D

I didn't mind Lollipop, but KitKat is damn near perfection on this beast. :)

RAM Management is better and even the battery drain is much lower.

Just waiting for my 64GB MicroSDXC to be delivered.

Sent from my Note 4 +64GB MicroSDXC via Tapatalk

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I rolled back to KitKat the other day and I am loving it :D

I didn't mind Lollipop, but KitKat is damn near perfection on this beast. :)

RAM Management is better and even the battery drain is much lower.

Just waiting for my 64GB MicroSDXC to be delivered.

Sent from my Note 4 +64GB MicroSDXC via Tapatalk

The fact that u rolled back says a lot about the support from Samsung. I wanted the note 4 but the support is ridiculous. I understand hiccups but if an update ruined a phone for people, Where is the urgency? Just saying. Do you plan on updating to Android M? I'm on trial with the 6+ but it's hard to leave a supported ecosystem. I've had Android as well but that is why I left a year ago but always wanted the note 4.