5.1.1 Sprint OTA for Note 4 (not edge)- "stuff" and Performance Observations

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Battery life seems to be as good if not BETTER than prior 5.01..I'm back to my kitkat levels for daily (make that THREE DAYS) use

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-11-09-08-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-11-09-08-21.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 76

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: 5.1.1 Sprint OTA for Note 4 (not edge)- "stuff" and Performance Observations

Settings>more networks>mobile networks>connections optimizer

Make sure "partner wifi" and connections optimizer is unchecked. It keeps checking for strongest mobile network ala drain your battery in the proccess. I have mine turned off.

I already had this unchecked apparently. Anyone have any other tips on getting better battery life?

On a side note, Rome - how did you get your Gear Live to work with your phone in Power Saving mode? Whenever I turn on PSM on my phone my Gear 2 Neo doesn't get any notifications

Rometheus

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: 5.1.1 Sprint OTA for Note 4 (not edge)- "stuff" and Performance Observations

I already had this unchecked apparently. Anyone have any other tips on getting better battery life?

On a side note, Rome - how did you get your Gear Live to work with your phone in Power Saving mode? Whenever I turn on PSM on my phone my Gear 2 Neo doesn't get any notifications
I have the original Gear 1 so maybe thats why. I'm actually trying to sell it right now on ebay, lol.

~Blessed From My Note 4~

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you use the hotspot feature on your note 4 with the lollipop update?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I do not. I just use it on my Sprint Tab. (I did do a full factory reset and wiping of cache, which any little things lingering appear to be gone and the phone is running very well.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It’s strange, at first I was seeing worse battery life than before the update – but my battery life has been slowly getting better. It’s really weird, it seems that for my last 3-4 charges every full battery has given me around 20 more minutes of Screen on time than the previous. Still not seeing KitKat-level battery life, but I’ll be really excited if this keeps up! Combined with the fact that I’m now “safe” from the Stagefright exploit, I’d say this update is a win so far!

Btw, anyone else have problems with the Facebook app randomly freezing after the update?

Edit: I did disable the Lookout app and uninstalled CM Security after Watchdog Lite alerted me to their cpu usage, so maybe that helped too.

Last edited:

Jnug70

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
is it still good to hard reset after this update. I didnt do it on the patch update months ago.

Posted via the Android Central App

berryabusr88

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Battery life has been sketchy for me. Seems down I'm only getting around 3 hrs of screen time...then it's time to swap batteries.....I don't think we will see the battery life of kit kat again..by far the best batter life was on the last kit kat update. But hey they push **** updates so you buy the latest greatest phone.

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Battery life has been sketchy for me. Seems down I'm only getting around 3 hrs of screen time...then it's time to swap batteries.....I don't think we will see the battery life of kit kat again..by far the best batter life was on the last kit kat update. But hey they push **** updates so you buy the latest greatest phone.

How's your Battery Cycle? just out of curiosity?

Also, guys.. Did the RAM management got improved by any chance? The Android L memory leak caused me a lot of issues with my carrier 5.0.1 update.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Quick reply, I removed nova laucher and went back to stock TouchWiz and my phone runs a whole lot faster. I actually use 300 mbs of ram less now and I get much less lag.

To those that are having issues consider lighting the load and see what happens.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Also consider deleting the Facebook app...had big problems with current version this weekend...the dreaded "Android System" bar overtaking my SoT until I removed the app entirely!

dhectorg

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Something was telling me to avoid this update for a while but, against my own judgement, I jumped on it a few days ago and it's been a nightmare ever since. My Note 4 won't connect to any wifi now, not at home, work, or public hotspots. It's also lagging like crazy. Just accessing the pulldown takes 5 seconds or so. I am so pissed! The note 4 is the first time I've splurged on a flagship phone and it's also the first time I've had issues with any update. I love the note 4 and this doesn't change that, but the phone manufacturers and service providers need to do far more extensive testing before releasing updates. As it is, they don't seem to be doing any testing at all. Mine is from Sprint and they are usually last to release updates, but this time they were first. Oh the irony. In any case, now I'm forced to do a backup/reset, which is a pain in the arse, since I have a ton of stuff to backup first. And it might not even resolve these issues.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Something was telling me to avoid this update for a while but, against my own judgement, I jumped on it a few days ago and it's been a nightmare ever since. My Note 4 won't connect to any wifi now, not at home, work, or public hotspots. It's also lagging like crazy. Just accessing the pulldown takes 5 seconds or so. I am so pissed! The note 4 is the first time I've splurged on a flagship phone and it's also the first time I've had issues with any update. I love the note 4 and this doesn't change that, but the phone manufacturers and service providers need to do far more extensive testing before releasing updates. As it is, they don't seem to be doing any testing at all. Mine is from Sprint and they are usually last to release updates, but this time they were first. Oh the irony. In any case, now I'm forced to do a backup/reset, which is a pain in the arse, since I have a ton of stuff to backup first. And it might not even resolve these issues.

Not to sound trite, but have you wiped your system cache? Might want to try that first before a factory reset

dhectorg

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Not to sound trite, but have you wiped your system cache? Might want to try that first before a factory reset

That was the first thing I tried, didn't work. When I turn on my wifi, all I get is a blank white screen and no connection is established, although the wifi icon is shown.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
That was the first thing I tried, didn't work. When I turn on my wifi, all I get is a blank white screen and no connection is established, although the wifi icon is shown.

You do know with TW devices....you need to wipe it five or 6 times in a row sometimes. Good indicator that you got everything is that ******* spring installer will start whem your phone reboots (the one that installs the nascar,/NBA app?). Which is fine...because all of that crap can be uninstalled!

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
My issue is actually not with the Scanner. It is more with the time/delay it takes from the Power button being pressed and the screen waking up. once it is up the FP Scanner works just fine. What I have also noticed, that if the delay I mentioned exceeds 3-4 seconds then once I am using the phone the screen freezes for a second and then I am taken back out to the lock screen, and need to use my FP again.

Who knows maybe it is related to the Trusted devices, I will give that a try. and I was also going to remove my SD card to see if it is corrupt and causing an issue, and lastly I was going to use Touchwiz instead of Nova launcher to see if that is the issue. Otherwise it is back to a 3rd Factory reset this week.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon