I am desperate! While traveling and using the Waze app my Gallery vanished with all the pictures I have taken from the camera on the device and all those transferred from older devices. The only thing left is a facebook photo and the downloaded wallpapers from Zedge. New photos save just fine. (6-8 taken). I have tried Samsung support, several online and play store programs all to no avail. Just to be clear this is NOT a SD card issue, it is an internal issue. I cannot locate any backups anywhere. PLEASE HELP!

I did have an auto update just a few days prior to this happening. And it has attempted another update to the software today (which I have delayed).

I am at my wits end, I tried the solutions in other threads but nothing is working, including ES File Explorer. I cannot locate the "settings" to show hidden files. Dr Fone fails as well. and SD card was never mounted. Am I SOL?
    08-09-2015 09:48 PM
    There are two places where pictures go. One internally inside the phone (on all android phones), and the other on the MicroSD card.
    I would suggest you take out the MicroSD card and then plug it inside a computer and then double clicking on the icon of the MicroSD card within the computer. It should allow you to browse all the directories. There should be a DCIM or Camera directory. Look in there and browse all the folders. You might find your pictures there.

Android allow you to set the location of pictures when you take camera video or pics. When you put in a MicroSD card, it will normally ask you if you want to switch location of pictures to the MicroSD. I don't know if there are settings that force this to be automatic, or to always stay inside the phone. In any case, your best bet is to check the MicroSD card outside of the phone.
    08-09-2015 10:04 PM
    I just read this on Drippler. I hope it will help.

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-recover-lost-data

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    08-09-2015 10:04 PM
    even though the sd card has never been mounted?
    08-10-2015 06:26 AM
    Am I SOL?
    I'm going to say you probably are because data was overwritten by this...
    New photos save just fine. (6-8 taken).
    I'm hoping you can find some way to recover, but not likely.
    08-10-2015 06:41 AM
    I hope you don't have private mode enabled

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-12-2015 01:39 AM
    Did you back up to the cloud like google plus or google photos(what it's called now I think.)? If not set up google photos and set it to upload immediately if you can. my photos reappeared in the cloud after this even stuff I thought was lost for good. Try and see if it works. The app was able to access all my files in the phone and found where they were placed after update.
    08-12-2015 10:05 AM
    Try downloading "Sd Fix Tool" It scans your whole phone (internal and external memory) for media files, so they can be seen on Photos app or Gallery.
    It is worth a show.
    Also, try using a good Photo Viewer like "Quickpic"
    After installing it, click on "Show hidden folders" and check if your photos where hidden, so you can just copy them to an unhidden folder.
    Hope this helps.
    08-14-2015 12:17 PM