02-15-2016 09:01 AM
58 123
tools
    The only issue I have after the SPRINT 5.1.1 update last week is #1 in your original Post. The lag is there for sure, but my screen wakes up after about 2 seconds. I tried clearing the Cache but that didn't help much. I may have to do a Factory reset this weekend.
    Yeah, the lag was resolved for the most part after the reset and cache clear

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-11-2015 11:15 AM
    Thank you all SO MUCH for your enthusiasm on helping me bring my phone back to the amazing machine it is. I wouldnt have known about the recovery mode and all that! Thank you, and have a fantastic day. Ill be posting another form shortly with some questions regarding the note 4 so stay close.

08-11-2015 11:17 AM
    No problems with the update for me.

08-11-2015 01:28 PM
    Did you reset you phone to factory defaults and wipe the cache partition after 5.1.1 was installed?
    08-11-2015 03:18 PM
    Did you reset you phone to factory defaults and wipe the cache partition after 5.1.1 was installed?
    Yeah, it resolved the issues I was having

08-11-2015 03:19 PM
    Totally agree with you.. Im experiencing the same problems,just waiting for the note5 to come out to leave this phone behind.
    Mjranieri likes this.
    08-11-2015 06:49 PM
    Totally agree with you.. Im experiencing the same problems,just waiting for the note5 to come out to leave this phone behind.
    Try going into recovery mode, clearing cache and do a reset like they said above, it fixed the issue 100% for me

08-11-2015 07:21 PM
    Call me excessive (and maybe unneeded and useless), but when I factory reset, I will wipe cache, wipe data (factory reset), wipe cache, wipe data and repeat it 2 or 3 time (I have noticed in the past, doing it once does not always remove and fully wipe everything). I then boot up the phone (with sd card removed), set it all back up and go from there.
    08-12-2015 09:25 AM
    Stagefright virus?
    08-12-2015 09:39 AM
    Call me excessive (and maybe unneeded and useless), but when I factory reset, I will wipe cache, wipe data (factory reset), wipe cache, wipe data and repeat it 2 or 3 time (I have noticed in the past, doing it once does not always remove and fully wipe everything). I then boot up the phone (with sd card removed), set it all back up and go from there.
    Souds effective to me, you go man! It probably does help to do it a few times

08-12-2015 11:14 AM
    Stagefright virus?
    Could you give an example of a stage fright virus?

08-12-2015 11:15 AM
    I had this exact issue after I enabled Knox under Settings -> Security -> Knox Active Protection. Make sure that Knox is disabled. Once I disabled it, phone seems to be working well again.

Main symptoms I experienced were:
    • When waking the phone, home button would light up, but screen would remain black.
    • TouchWiz would force close on wake.
    • Fingerprint issues.
    • Noticeable lag.
    • Wouldn't receive any messages until I would turn on the screen and wake the phone.

I think Samsung was a little too aggressive with power savings and CPU frequency during sleep, which explains why enabling a setting that uses more processing power completely trashes the phone. Disable any power savings and settings that actively use more CPU power. I'd guess this should make your phone go back to normal.

Is there a way to disable the " Knox Active Protection" under security setting, even though I am using Knox for work outlook exchange? that option is grayed out.

i.e. under security I see Knox Active Protection - Turned on when I click on it I go to another screen that explains what this protection does, and on the top right there is a slider that shows ON but I am unable to slide it to OFF since it is grayed out.
    08-12-2015 02:09 PM
    I have notice MANY improvements since upgrading. Battery life seems better. FAR less lag, snappier UI all around....and Wifi calling FINALLY seems to work...I no longer get a notice at home that I can't make outbound calls. So far, so good!
    08-14-2015 11:23 AM
    Could you give an example of a stage fright virus?

Sure, what's your phone number?
    08-14-2015 11:33 AM
    Sure, what's your phone number?
    Glad you caught onto the joke lmao. Already scanned my phone and we are not able to obtain it thankfully

08-14-2015 11:35 AM
    Is there a way to disable the " Knox Active Protection" under security setting, even though I am using Knox for work outlook exchange? that option is grayed out.

i.e. under security I see Knox Active Protection - Turned on when I click on it I go to another screen that explains what this protection does, and on the top right there is a slider that shows ON but I am unable to slide it to OFF since it is grayed out.
    I'm not sure, but this might be activated on the server side according to the technical details page on Samsung's Knox Workspace page.

I also came across a post (on XDA, I think) where someone had similar issues after the 5.1.1 update and it helped to disable the fingerprint screen lock. If you're using the fingerprint scanner on your lock screen, might help to disable it.

I still notice the issue with Knox disabled while using the fingerprint scanner, but only occasionally. (I've wiped the device twice, so that's not the issue.) With Knox on, it happened almost every wakeup.
    Nitro211K likes this.
    08-16-2015 02:48 PM
    been following this thread because after updating my brand new spinte note 4 to 5.1.1. I noticed my screen wake was different then before. I can't tell if its a performance issue or a performance improvement on how it wakes. I wouldn't call it "laggy", it just doesnt turn on all at once. Like the brightneess slowly fades in, before its fully on making it seem like its loading in parts or segments, but really the backlight is just slow.. It seems like a backlight/screen brightness issue.

So following this thread, I wiped cached and factory reset. Nothing changed. It's really annoying, especially because I KNOW it wasn't like this before the update. When I woke my screen up with the home button or the side rocker, it would instantly come on at full uniform brittleness, whatever it was set to. Not fade in and kinda "warm up".

Any ideas? I've wipe cache twice and done 1 factory reset.
    Mjranieri likes this.
    08-16-2015 08:31 PM
    I too had that issue, and the wipe/reset didn't help. What you can do is turn the 3 animation scale options to off under developer options. That got rid of the slow fade in, but not the lag/delay in screen wake.
    08-16-2015 08:53 PM
    Holy **** man! Thank you so much, this really has been bugging me and was hoping it wasn't something baked in permanetly to the new update, or even worse a hardware issue. I knew it was in those settings. I previously had one of them to off and one to .5 and left the other alone, from advice I read on a performance article. I actually thought that was the culprit, inversely, by having the animation's lower/off it was giving me a clunky fade in so I put them all back to 1..Obv that didn't help so I just gave up and figured I'd get used to it. Never did I thought making them all 0. DERP, I feel dumb, but thank you SIR!

p.s. I don't have any wake lag, instant on, no clunky fade in now too thanks to you~!
    Nitro211K likes this.
    08-19-2015 12:20 AM
    My phone has been lagging big time since the update. Especially when I enter my pin to unlock the phone. Also there's a lag on apps opening up and some even freeze and it's like pulling teeth to clear the notification bar. I have to hit the clear tab several times before the bar clears. I've tried to wipe the cache but it has done nothing. I'd hate to do a factory reset. Is that my only option?
    Mjranieri likes this.
    08-19-2015 11:56 AM
    Thank you to everyone who has helped out, followed the fourm, and gave us their story or anwsers! This thread made my phone run faster then it was before the update, thanks to everyones help! All the problems you guys are having such as the screen lag when unlocking the phone and the lag with the operating system are things that I experienced with the new update, but thanks to everybody on this thread I got it working again! My advice to people who are still struggling is go back to page one, follow the reset and cache whipe instructions then get back to us. Also, turn off all animation in developer options.
    Please let everyone know how it worked, and thank you once again

08-20-2015 01:37 PM
    My phone has been lagging big time since the update. Especially when I enter my pin to unlock the phone. Also there's a lag on apps opening up and some even freeze and it's like pulling teeth to clear the notification bar. I have to hit the clear tab several times before the bar clears. I've tried to wipe the cache but it has done nothing. I'd hate to do a factory reset. Is that my only option?
    Reset phone and wipe cache, may be only option

08-20-2015 01:42 PM
    been following this thread because after updating my brand new spinte note 4 to 5.1.1. I noticed my screen wake was different then before. I can't tell if its a performance issue or a performance improvement on how it wakes. I wouldn't call it "laggy", it just doesnt turn on all at once. Like the brightneess slowly fades in, before its fully on making it seem like its loading in parts or segments, but really the backlight is just slow.. It seems like a backlight/screen brightness issue.

So following this thread, I wiped cached and factory reset. Nothing changed. It's really annoying, especially because I KNOW it wasn't like this before the update. When I woke my screen up with the home button or the side rocker, it would instantly come on at full uniform brittleness, whatever it was set to. Not fade in and kinda "warm up".

Any ideas? I've wipe cache twice and done 1 factory reset.
    You werent the only one, my friend. Glad it has been resolved for you.

08-20-2015 01:44 PM
    Exactly the same issues here!
    09-02-2015 09:38 AM
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a new SIM-free Note 4. I'm coming from the iPhone 6+ and have a few questions regarding Lollipop/5.1.1

The phone will come with KitKat on it and I'm inclined to think that it will perform best with the version of Android it was designed for. My previous experience of iOS updates is that they slow older phones down, is this true with Android? Should I try and disable the update and stick on KitKat? I want the smoothest, fastest experience possible from what will be a brand new phone.

Also, aside from speed/lag, does anything work better on KitKat, such as GPS etc? Oh and finally, is the loudspeaker as tinny and shrill as all the reviews state? My 6+ has a lovely warm and non-harsh speaker. Thanks in advance :-)
    09-24-2015 07:23 PM
58 123