Why Does 5.1.1 Update Feel Like It Ruined My Note 4?

pynkfloydd

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to disable the " Knox Active Protection" under security setting, even though I am using Knox for work outlook exchange? that option is grayed out.

i.e. under security I see Knox Active Protection - Turned on when I click on it I go to another screen that explains what this protection does, and on the top right there is a slider that shows ON but I am unable to slide it to OFF since it is grayed out.

I'm not sure, but this might be activated on the server side according to the technical details page on Samsung's Knox Workspace page.

I also came across a post (on XDA, I think) where someone had similar issues after the 5.1.1 update and it helped to disable the fingerprint screen lock. If you're using the fingerprint scanner on your lock screen, might help to disable it.

I still notice the issue with Knox disabled while using the fingerprint scanner, but only occasionally. (I've wiped the device twice, so that's not the issue.) With Knox on, it happened almost every wakeup.

Jason Tyler

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
been following this thread because after updating my brand new spinte note 4 to 5.1.1. I noticed my screen wake was different then before. I can't tell if its a performance issue or a performance improvement on how it wakes. I wouldn't call it "laggy", it just doesnt turn on all at once. Like the brightneess slowly fades in, before its fully on making it seem like its loading in parts or segments, but really the backlight is just slow.. It seems like a backlight/screen brightness issue.

So following this thread, I wiped cached and factory reset. Nothing changed. It's really annoying, especially because I KNOW it wasn't like this before the update. When I woke my screen up with the home button or the side rocker, it would instantly come on at full uniform brittleness, whatever it was set to. Not fade in and kinda "warm up".

Any ideas? I've wipe cache twice and done 1 factory reset.

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I too had that issue, and the wipe/reset didn't help. What you can do is turn the 3 animation scale options to off under developer options. That got rid of the slow fade in, but not the lag/delay in screen wake.

Jason Tyler

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Holy **** man! Thank you so much, this really has been bugging me and was hoping it wasn't something baked in permanetly to the new update, or even worse a hardware issue. I knew it was in those settings. I previously had one of them to off and one to .5 and left the other alone, from advice I read on a performance article. I actually thought that was the culprit, inversely, by having the animation's lower/off it was giving me a clunky fade in so I put them all back to 1..Obv that didn't help so I just gave up and figured I'd get used to it. Never did I thought making them all 0. DERP, I feel dumb, but thank you SIR!

p.s. I don't have any wake lag, instant on, no clunky fade in now too thanks to you~!

gatorrich

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
My phone has been lagging big time since the update. Especially when I enter my pin to unlock the phone. Also there's a lag on apps opening up and some even freeze and it's like pulling teeth to clear the notification bar. I have to hit the clear tab several times before the bar clears. I've tried to wipe the cache but it has done nothing. I'd hate to do a factory reset. Is that my only option?

Mjranieri

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has helped out, followed the fourm, and gave us their story or anwsers! This thread made my phone run faster then it was before the update, thanks to everyones help! All the problems you guys are having such as the screen lag when unlocking the phone and the lag with the operating system are things that I experienced with the new update, but thanks to everybody on this thread I got it working again! My advice to people who are still struggling is go back to page one, follow the reset and cache whipe instructions then get back to us. Also, turn off all animation in developer options.
Please let everyone know how it worked, and thank you once again :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Mjranieri

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
My phone has been lagging big time since the update. Especially when I enter my pin to unlock the phone. Also there's a lag on apps opening up and some even freeze and it's like pulling teeth to clear the notification bar. I have to hit the clear tab several times before the bar clears. I've tried to wipe the cache but it has done nothing. I'd hate to do a factory reset. Is that my only option?

Reset phone and wipe cache, may be only option

Mjranieri

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
been following this thread because after updating my brand new spinte note 4 to 5.1.1. I noticed my screen wake was different then before. I can't tell if its a performance issue or a performance improvement on how it wakes. I wouldn't call it "laggy", it just doesnt turn on all at once. Like the brightneess slowly fades in, before its fully on making it seem like its loading in parts or segments, but really the backlight is just slow.. It seems like a backlight/screen brightness issue.

So following this thread, I wiped cached and factory reset. Nothing changed. It's really annoying, especially because I KNOW it wasn't like this before the update. When I woke my screen up with the home button or the side rocker, it would instantly come on at full uniform brittleness, whatever it was set to. Not fade in and kinda "warm up".

Any ideas? I've wipe cache twice and done 1 factory reset.

You werent the only one, my friend. Glad it has been resolved for you.

sunking101

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new SIM-free Note 4. I'm coming from the iPhone 6+ and have a few questions regarding Lollipop/5.1.1

The phone will come with KitKat on it and I'm inclined to think that it will perform best with the version of Android it was designed for. My previous experience of iOS updates is that they slow older phones down, is this true with Android? Should I try and disable the update and stick on KitKat? I want the smoothest, fastest experience possible from what will be a brand new phone.

Also, aside from speed/lag, does anything work better on KitKat, such as GPS etc? Oh and finally, is the loudspeaker as tinny and shrill as all the reviews state? My 6+ has a lovely warm and non-harsh speaker. Thanks in advance :)

dbgman

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I know I am a little late to this thread but I wanted to share on how I fixed my lag issue with my note 4 after the 5.1.1 update. Just a little background, after the update my phone would randomly lag out and some times lock the screen. It was very frustrating.

I researched and researched and tried factory resetting and clearing the cache and it still happened.

So yesterday I found a fix. It is a "feature" called "smart lock". If you go to settings-security-trust agents and turn off smart lock, your phone will be good again. That is it.

So far mine and my daughter's note 4 has not been lagging for a day now.

MarLa Salagantin

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

same issues here my dear, I can't fast charge.. before I had no problem with 5.0.1 update and I can quick charge.. ( 1 hr and 30 minutes) now I feel like I charge in a normal way so I noticed it wont fast charge as fast charge does...Im think too it would be the cable problem or my firmware.. I don't know hope some one coupd help me to fix this.. or should we wait for the Anroid M?

LUCERITA

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
I am some what of a perfectionist when it comes to my phone. I notice the smallest lag , and any change that occurs. I never usually get quite bothered by updates , but since 5.1.1 it has forced me to go from loving my phone for the past year to nearly selling it tomorrow. . This form is my last resort. The amount of problems I am experiencing cant be a coincidence and I will list them below. ( this phone has made me nothing but happy, till now.)

Problems:
1. Phone takes atleast 5.0 seconds for screen to come on when pressing home key or unlock button. The keys will light up but screen will take an extra few seconds to respond.
2. Phone will not charge, while on charger , unless turned off...Started right after the update ,not sure what could cause that.
3.Apps wont exit, but screen will go blank or bring me to the home screen without icons, they after a few moments bring me back to the app i had open, completely at random.
4. Phone tends to completely reset. It will do this while multitasking .
5. Drop down menu will lag coming down, without any other programs open.

Im very strict about downloading. I dont have much on my phone besides music, photos and videos. Keeping my phone and computer well maintained is important to me and essential to my life. I dont understand why this is happening , and I hope others can help. The only good thing that came out of this is the fact I created my first form account

Would be amazing to get some responses, i will give more details if requested. Thank you everyone who reads.
Also have done a factory reset with no positive results.

HI I just want to let you know that I have the same problem with the screen and I sent my phone to Samsung 6 times and they can't fix the problem so they just decided to replace my phone but when I received the replacement, the new one is doing the same problem.

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Re:

We seem to be running smoother :)

Pretty much ANY time you have an update, a good idea is to FR and clear the cache via the button trick listed above. Save you a WORLD of heartache. Honestly, Android should put this out as a bulletin for everyone; this advice would have saved me a world of heartache in the past. Glad you got her running. I ADORE my Note 4, and if Sammy doesn't change back to removable battery/ SD Card support, I'll hold onto it until they pry it from my cold dead fingers. ;)

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
HI I just want to let you know that I have the same problem with the screen and I sent my phone to Samsung 6 times and they can't fix the problem so they just decided to replace my phone but when I received the replacement, the new one is doing the same problem.

See the advice above if you haven't already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty