Screenshot_2015-08-11-08-14-17.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 273
  • Screenshot_2015-08-11-08-14-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-11-08-14-31.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 273

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love my Note 4. My camera hardware failed and I am awaiting replacement, and the battery on mine is completely random and unreliable, but I still have loved this phone. If they could get the battery life stabilized and consistent, i'd be in heaven.

That being said, I am so freaking tired of always having to clear this cache or reset that to get the battery life to be decent. When I first bought this phone, the battery was unbelievable. I TRIED to kill the battery one saturday and after 6.5 hours of screen on time and the battery still at 30%, I gave up because my eyes were tired of looking at a screen. I didn't download any app, but once we got an incremental update from AT&T, that very day after the update my battery took a massive hit. I tried to FDR twice, and it didn't fix it either time. Now i'm lucky if I get 4.5 hrs of screen on time before it hits 0% on the battery.

Again, I love this phone but there's no reason we as users should have to go through and play the cache clearing game every single day just to get decent performance.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
How do you clear play services cache?

Posted on my LG G3 via the Android Central App

Go into your Application Manager, select the ALL tab, find Play Services, and there find the CLEAR CACHE button. If that doesn't help, go there again but this time select UNINSTALL UPDATES. Reboot your phone and it will re-update itself (you might want to be on WiFi for this if you have concerns on mobile data caps, just in case).

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
^Every single day? Oh come on, it's not that bad. Just once after an Update should do the trick.

Hmm. I find it interesting that you can say that it's not that bad even though you aren't with me every day watching my phone. Let's assume I am more familiar with my phone than you are.

Paradroid01

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
^If it's really that bad and you can't do anything about it, I'd say: do yourself a favor and buy another phone as soon as possible!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
^If it's really that bad and you can't do anything about it, I'd say: do yourself a favor and buy another phone as soon as possible!

Why don't you just use the quote feature to reply to my posts?

And yes, it is really that bad. Yet the reason I don't buy another phone is because 1) I love most everything else about the Note 4 and 2) It costs a lot of money to switch up your phone in the middle of your contract cycle.

I can do plenty about it, I can clear cache and boot into Recovery mode and use safe mode and all that other stuff. All i'm saying, is that it's a dang shame that the system can't just monitor itself and not require all of this futzing to make it perform optimally.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is having a phone with that horrific battery life and you have done the wipe and resets, do yourself a favor and call your carrier to get a warranty replacement before it's too late.
This is not normal. They will replace up to one year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

robcassman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love my Note 4. My camera hardware failed and I am awaiting replacement, and the battery on mine is completely random and unreliable, but I still have loved this phone. If they could get the battery life stabilized and consistent, i'd be in heaven.

That being said, I am so freaking tired of always having to clear this cache or reset that to get the battery life to be decent. When I first bought this phone, the battery was unbelievable. I TRIED to kill the battery one saturday and after 6.5 hours of screen on time and the battery still at 30%, I gave up because my eyes were tired of looking at a screen. I didn't download any app, but once we got an incremental update from AT&T, that very day after the update my battery took a massive hit. I tried to FDR twice, and it didn't fix it either time. Now i'm lucky if I get 4.5 hrs of screen on time before it hits 0% on the battery.

Again, I love this phone but there's no reason we as users should have to go through and play the cache clearing game every single day just to get decent performance.

I totally agree. There's a problem with the phone and the solution is for us to go in and tinker around? Is that how it was designed to be used? I've come to realize that smartphones are simply not dwsigned to last more than about 6 months before they develop some sort of sickness. I read all the message boards from all the different phones and everyone complains about their phones simply not working well. Same story.

Posted via the Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If anyone is having a phone with that horrific battery life and you have done the wipe and resets, do yourself a favor and call your carrier to get a warranty replacement before it's too late.
This is not normal. They will replace up to one year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have a warranty replacement on the way because my camera started doing a weird crackling noise when it tries to focus. Hopefully this one functions a bit better with battery life.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree lately after several updates my battery life has been crappy. I even bought anker batteries to see if it was the OEM battery. No luck there. I guess it's the operating system it has so much stuff running in the background. I barely use my phone.

Quote The Note 4 Never More😤

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Its sad but I can totally relate to this and this is why I purchase with the intent to root. It's unfortunate the tools to identify high consumption apps/services aren't put into the hands of users. If wakelock detection was something that could be done with full transparency for users without root that would be great, so that users could at least identify all potential drain issues and try to mitigate them through software selection and non-root settings .. . but no . . not enough information is shared by default and users are left to speculate what's going on.

As a rooted user running a custom rom I'm fully aware of how capable devices like this are at great battery life. It would just be nice for everyone else to at least have the ability to see what is truly going on without having to go through great lengths to do so.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if I buy a Note 4 now, that I'm told by Carphone Warehouse (= Best Buy) are shipping with Lollipop 5.something and carrier free, that it will run as cleanly as intended by Samsung.
It seems software features designed by Samsung to run on the contemporary Android OS available, get corrupted and screwed by a major hike.
It seems to be the case with a lot of Note 4's. That or / and a carriers inability to blend their spice in to the recipe.
I sold a Note 3 before Lollipop finally emerged on July 20th; but that seems to have got screwed and lost features.

Now the Note 5 may have more novel enhancements, count the minutes to launch as I write, but what is Android M going to do for it?

I'm unlikely to get a Note 4, though the price is alright atm, more a Moto X Style, but I feel for you people who ended up with a different, slightly inferior device.

Am I wrong?

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone seems like this post got a a fair amount of attention. just wanted to provide a little bit of background...

When I first got the Note 4 the battery life was, as is usually everyone's case, pretty dang excellent. over time it stayed that way pretty reliably. once the lollipop update came out for tmobile though, I went ahead and downloaded it straight away and I immediately noticed A) worse battery life and B) notably laggier performance at times. So I stayed with lollipop for about a month or so before deciding to downgrade to the KitKat version of Android... doing so was kind of a process, I mean I had tinkered before with rooting and all that technical stuff on prior devices but it is always very convoluted and you need to be familiar with all that lingo if you even stand a chance at doing it. anyway, I successfully did it and subsequently reinstalled all my apps. there were a few inconsistencies between lollipop and KitKat on the Note 4, like the S Health app (which I do use) and the overall look like in the lockscreen, but it wasn't really enough to persuade me to go back. after all, the reason I downgraded was to get better battery life and performance. that being said, I did notice the difference. fast forward a month or so and I download lollipop once again to my Note 4. reason being, I liked the interface better, and some of the stuff like S Health versions being different across KitKat or Lollipop got annoying; I prefer the functionality that the Lollipop version had. Anyway, so I updated and everything seemed to be kind of ok. My battery life was notably worse, but marginal enough to muster. I didn't really care all too much, and besides as I said I liked the UI better. So lately I've been noticing the battery life was just a bit underwhelming. Leaving it on my desk while working on my pc, leaving it off the charger overnight, and just generally not using it, I've noticed that the standby time is just awful. Now I'll admit that I have a lot of apps on my phone, (around 200), but I've installed most of them without really seeing an effect on standby time/ wakelock issues. Until recently that is. An important thing I think I should state is that I checked the 'up time' in the settings of my phone and I had gone almost a month without turning it off. If I remember correctly it showed that I had been using the phone without powering down for around 600 hours. But that changed when my phone inexplicably started getting power drain issues, so I had to turn it off and hope that would fix it. It didn't... The other day I was using my phone, went out to my cousin's house, was commuting via metro... Anyway, point is I was out all day. Never before had my phone died on me, until that day. I stopped using it when it alerted me that it was at 5% and before I had the chance to plug it into the charger, it had died. This really alarmed me and made it very clear that something on my phone was totally acting up, because even before when I would use my phone all day, I would NEVER have it die on me. Ever! Even when I had a Nexus 4 years ago with terrible battery life it could still get me through at least a school day and I'd charge it when I got home. What I'm trying to say is that I've come to expect a certain level of battery life from a phone, and grow accustomed to that threshold accordingly so I know if I have to take a charger with me somewhere if I'm going to be out for more than my phone can stay alive... So this is a pretty big change for me unfortunately. I've come across bad standby time before on phones, but those times were always just Google Play Services being wonky, and the issue would usually resolve itself within a week or so... but this time (from the screenshot) when I noticed such blatantly terrible absolutely unacceptable standby time that is obviously due to a wakelock, I was so irritated. So here I stand...

Some stats from the past few days: I just picked up my phone from it being on my table for about 5 hours off of a fresh charge, and the battery is at 90%. That's a drain of about 2 percent per hour. That's OK, I guess... but seeing as how with an iPhone 6plus you sleep overnight and still have 95 or so percent in the morning is by comparison, notable.
Also, I downloaded Greenify on the app store as a result of this dilemma and installed it, disabled tons of apps, and so far I see not really much of a difference. But it's only been what, 2 or so days so far. Ultimately I hope this is just Google Play Services being stupid as is usually the case, but seeing 50 percent battery down the drain while the phone was literally doing NOTHING was so infuriating. If this problem arises again I'll make sure to post here again. Thanks for reading guys.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone seems like this post got a a fair amount of attention. just wanted to provide a little bit of background...

When I first got the Note 4 the battery life was, as is usually everyone's case, pretty dang excellent. over time it stayed that way pretty reliably. once the lollipop update came out for tmobile though, I went ahead and downloaded it straight away and I immediately noticed A) worse battery life and B) notably laggier performance at times. So I stayed with lollipop for about a month or so before deciding to downgrade to the KitKat version of Android... doing so was kind of a process, I mean I had tinkered before with rooting and all that technical stuff on prior devices but it is always very convoluted and you need to be familiar with all that lingo if you even stand a chance at doing it. anyway, I successfully did it and subsequently reinstalled all my apps. there were a few inconsistencies between lollipop and KitKat on the Note 4, like the S Health app (which I do use) and the overall look like in the lockscreen, but it wasn't really enough to persuade me to go back. after all, the reason I downgraded was to get better battery life and performance. that being said, I did notice the difference. fast forward a month or so and I download lollipop once again to my Note 4. reason being, I liked the interface better, and some of the stuff like S Health versions being different across KitKat or Lollipop got annoying; I prefer the functionality that the Lollipop version had. Anyway, so I updated and everything seemed to be kind of ok. My battery life was notably worse, but marginal enough to muster. I didn't really care all too much, and besides as I said I liked the UI better. So lately I've been noticing the battery life was just a bit underwhelming. Leaving it on my desk while working on my pc, leaving it off the charger overnight, and just generally not using it, I've noticed that the standby time is just awful. Now I'll admit that I have a lot of apps on my phone, (around 200), but I've installed most of them without really seeing an effect on standby time/ wakelock issues. Until recently that is. An important thing I think I should state is that I checked the 'up time' in the settings of my phone and I had gone almost a month without turning it off. If I remember correctly it showed that I had been using the phone without powering down for around 600 hours. But that changed when my phone inexplicably started getting power drain issues, so I had to turn it off and hope that would fix it. It didn't... The other day I was using my phone, went out to my cousin's house, was commuting via metro... Anyway, point is I was out all day. Never before had my phone died on me, until that day. I stopped using it when it alerted me that it was at 5% and before I had the chance to plug it into the charger, it had died. This really alarmed me and made it very clear that something on my phone was totally acting up, because even before when I would use my phone all day, I would NEVER have it die on me. Ever! Even when I had a Nexus 4 years ago with terrible battery life it could still get me through at least a school day and I'd charge it when I got home. What I'm trying to say is that I've come to expect a certain level of battery life from a phone, and grow accustomed to that threshold accordingly so I know if I have to take a charger with me somewhere if I'm going to be out for more than my phone can stay alive... So this is a pretty big change for me unfortunately. I've come across bad standby time before on phones, but those times were always just Google Play Services being wonky, and the issue would usually resolve itself within a week or so... but this time (from the screenshot) when I noticed such blatantly terrible absolutely unacceptable standby time that is obviously due to a wakelock, I was so irritated. So here I stand...

Some stats from the past few days: I just picked up my phone from it being on my table for about 5 hours off of a fresh charge, and the battery is at 90%. That's a drain of about 2 percent per hour. That's OK, I guess... but seeing as how with an iPhone 6plus you sleep overnight and still have 95 or so percent in the morning is by comparison, notable.
Also, I downloaded Greenify on the app store as a result of this dilemma and installed it, disabled tons of apps, and so far I see not really much of a difference. But it's only been what, 2 or so days so far. Ultimately I hope this is just Google Play Services being stupid as is usually the case, but seeing 50 percent battery down the drain while the phone was literally doing NOTHING was so infuriating. If this problem arises again I'll make sure to post here again. Thanks for reading guys.

TL; DR :)

That's a couple of massively HUGE paragraphs!

If you want people to read it, break it down into several paragraphs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc