Please help. This lag is getting to be too much. I've started having it freeze and apps crash.

Posted via the Android Central App
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    08-14-2015 10:08 AM
    Have you tried rebooting the device?
    08-14-2015 10:36 AM
    I will try. Just hate to start over. I guess that's all I have left to do. Thanks.

08-14-2015 11:35 AM
    I will try. Just hate to start over. I guess that's all I have left to do. Thanks.

Hi Jamie, I think you misunderstood, rebooting with total reset to factory settings
    Good luck. Just restart your N4.

08-14-2015 11:58 AM
    Rebooting the device wont do anything. Neither will a factory reset. I like Samsung but every Samsung device i've ever owned has had horrendous lag. Even when I use other launchers aside from Touchwiz. A reboot or a factory reset might help for a week or so, but if you are one of the unlucky ones who got a device with lag, it will almost certainly come back shortly after.

I know people will get angry with me and say it must be an app I am using or user error or whatever. But i'm quite familiar with how Android works and I don't play any games on my phone, and the vast majority of apps I use are Google apps like Keep, Youtube, and Google+. The only non Android apps I consistently use is Instagram and Carbon for Twitter. My lag experience has nothing to do with those apps however. It happens in the app tray, anytime I use the camera or gallery, and when I use the recent apps button.
    08-14-2015 12:48 PM
    I just restarted my phone after about 10 days uptime because it started to lag and so. Now it's fluid and smooth just like I want it to be. How come it starts to lag here and there after about a week? It's very frustrating. My old nexus 4 I had running for several weeks without any slow downs or lags.
    08-14-2015 02:44 PM
    One solution is Note 5
    08-14-2015 10:23 PM
    Rebooting the device wont do anything. Neither will a factory reset. I like Samsung but every Samsung device i've ever owned has had horrendous lag. Even when I use other launchers aside from Touchwiz. A reboot or a factory reset might help for a week or so, but if you are one of the unlucky ones who got a device with lag, it will almost certainly come back shortly after.

I know people will get angry with me and say it must be an app I am using or user error or whatever. But i'm quite familiar with how Android works and I don't play any games on my phone, and the vast majority of apps I use are Google apps like Keep, Youtube, and Google+. The only non Android apps I consistently use is Instagram and Carbon for Twitter. My lag experience has nothing to do with those apps however. It happens in the app tray, anytime I use the camera or gallery, and when I use the recent apps button.
    That's pretty crazy. You're obviously not a novice user, so it wouldn't be some crazy app you have downloaded and you say it has happened on every Samsung phone you've had???? I've had numerous Samsung phones and never experienced any HUGE lag. The occasional hiccup, yes, but other than that they've been very reliable. My N4 is one of the best phones on the market, IMHO.
    08-15-2015 11:26 AM
    Is your memory almost maxed out? Do you have a task killer installed? Any apps that may be considered a little shady?
    08-15-2015 11:29 AM

I'm not experiencing any lag using Nova launcher on my note 4

08-15-2015 11:42 AM
    I'm not experiencing any lag using Nova launcher on my note 4

I'm using the tw-launcher, maybe that's the reason for the lag that I experienced.
    08-15-2015 02:31 PM
    Download 360 Security. It is amazing. I use it 1 time a day on my S6 to ensure no viruses and it keeps it at its best performance!

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB
    ZAGG Tempered Glass
    AT&T
    08-15-2015 02:34 PM
    That's pretty crazy. You're obviously not a novice user, so it wouldn't be some crazy app you have downloaded and you say it has happened on every Samsung phone you've had???? I've had numerous Samsung phones and never experienced any HUGE lag. The occasional hiccup, yes, but other than that they've been very reliable. My N4 is one of the best phones on the market, IMHO.
    I've had two different Galaxy S3 devices on two different carriers, as well as a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, and my Galaxy Note 4. I love Samsung devices even with the lag, so I continue to buy them. However, the lag on each has been pretty noticeable, with the worst by far being the Note 4. That being said, I am not a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, and I really am not that important so the lag is not a huge deal to me. I can handle waiting a second or two for the phone to complete a basic function. For the price, I don't think I should have to but it is what it is. The only time it bothers me is when i'm trying to take pics of my little girls and the dumb thing can't open the camera app in time and I miss the moment.

And I agree with you that the N4 is one of the best phones on the market, especially after the Note 5 announcement. But mine still lags daily, and pretty bad. Even with three Factory Resets and clearing cache often.
    08-17-2015 09:05 AM
    I've had two different Galaxy S3 devices on two different carriers, as well as a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, and my Galaxy Note 4. I love Samsung devices even with the lag, so I continue to buy them. However, the lag on each has been pretty noticeable, with the worst by far being the Note 4. That being said, I am not a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, and I really am not that important so the lag is not a huge deal to me. I can handle waiting a second or two for the phone to complete a basic function. For the price, I don't think I should have to but it is what it is. The only time it bothers me is when i'm trying to take pics of my little girls and the dumb thing can't open the camera app in time and I miss the moment.

And I agree with you that the N4 is one of the best phones on the market, especially after the Note 5 announcement. But mine still lags daily, and pretty bad. Even with three Factory Resets and clearing cache often.
    The advice I can you give you, is that you put a custom ROM with AOSP on it.

I've tried it and it's great, you do have to put a third party app if you want the S-Pen extras.

There is simply no way to escape the lag and the memory leak besides a ROM.
    08-17-2015 09:20 AM
    Don't download any app killers or security apps yet. First wipe your cache, do it a couple of times in a row for good measure (just be careful not to accidentally pick the 'wipe phone' choice which is above the system cache option.)

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-cl...-galaxy-note-4

Also, Nova Launcher will help with lag as well. You can set certain things (like scroll) to be faster. Plus certain apps might by bogging down your system so do the app cache clear from the instructions in the link as well. The Facebook app has been known to freeze or crash alot, I know I'm seeing FB freeze a whole lot more after this last Lollipop update.
    08-17-2015 02:25 PM