I see mention that the s-pen features are improved on the Note 5 for usability.
    I find the s-pen experience a little confusing on my Note 4. I'd be nice if Samsung could be updating that on the Note 4. Does that ever happen with Samsung's updates?
    08-16-2015 04:21 PM
    The accuracy improvement is probably a hardware change, so you won't see it on older phones. Reduced latency might be software or hardware, so you might. Writing while the screen is off is software, so they might include that in a future update.
    steflieb likes this.
    08-16-2015 05:12 PM
    I doubt anything hardware wise has changed for the note 5s s pen. if anything has, it would probably be some little refinements for the nib. I believe it is more than likely just a software difference. I could be wrong, but its just my opinion since the s pens technology is made by Wacom. And they haven't had any changes in their inductive digitizer styli. I also highly doubt that note 4 users will ever see this several new yet small features from the note 5. Samsung has neglected the note 4 device and I'm sure they will continue to do so. We haven't gotten the theme store nor the penvatars. I think it would be awesome to see some newer software features brought to our device. In the end, its nothing more than wishful thinking. *sigh*

나의 SM-N910T 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
    tadpoles and steflieb like this.
    08-16-2015 07:22 PM
    I could probably be fine with the Note 4's S-pen if I could figure out a few things.

If I click on the red S-pen icon it opens a window that i can swipe through and see different pages. Some pages show sketches that I made and titled, some have simulated covers showing instead of the sketch but the sketch reveals when I select them, and some are Action memos, stacked. Why the different formats? What's the use of Action Memo as opposed to pages in s-pen app?

Also when I pull out the s-pen it launches the four icon Air Command semi circle and I can use it to select one of four modes to use the pen. The first of the four icons in the semi circle is an Action Memo that can later be seen in the S-pen app. The next two are for selecting areas of the screen and they go into the Scrap Book which is a separate app, not sure what you can do with this. And the last one is a full screen capture that goes into the Gallery.

And is there a way to launch the Action Memo other than removing the pen? What if you already have the pen out and want to start an action memo or do a screen capture. How do you launch the choice without putting the pen back in and taking it out?

I've watched a few youtubes but they don't clear up those questions.

I'm confused.
    08-17-2015 12:41 AM
    The button on the pen launches air command.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-17-2015 05:29 AM
    To launch the menu if the pen is already out just click the pen button while holding it near the screen.

I agree it's confusing though and I'll add a question. If I've used screen write and saved the annotated screen shot, is there a way to reopen it to add more annotations to it?

I can use screen write again of course on that screen shot but that will make a new screenshot each time I do it and presumably degrade the quality and create multiple copies of the same page.

08-17-2015 05:32 AM
    The accuracy improvement is probably a hardware change, so you won't see it on older phones. Reduced latency might be software or hardware, so you might. Writing while the screen is off is software, so they might include that in a future update.
    Yep, most of the changes are software based.

However, I did not look yet at the spect sheet of the pen.. But if I'm not mistaken it's still a Waccom Pen with 2048 pressure.
    08-17-2015 05:36 AM
    Screen shots/writes are saved in the gallery. Open image, menu, option to write on image

08-17-2015 05:37 AM
    Thanks, that is simpler than making a new screenshot, but has the same problem that it saves yet another image each time and with deteriorating quality.

I guess there is no way to continue to edit the same image file each time.

08-17-2015 06:54 AM
    Save.it in Snote

Rarry likes this.
    08-17-2015 07:06 AM
    Thanks, that works! I did find that when you get the image into Note it's kind of small and magnifying to max only gets you back to normal, but when you import into Note there are some blue drag lines you can use to resize it before saving.

So.... Use screen write to capture image, share to S Note, enlarge using blue sliders, save in S Note.

I'm still hazy with portrait / landscape issues in this process but I'll work on that some more. Thanks a lot for the help.
    08-17-2015 08:22 AM
    So by default the screen shot is saved in the gallery but can also be saved with Share Via to s-note and then a "+".
    08-17-2015 11:08 AM
    That seems the way to work it. Thanks for starting the thread, it helped clarify it for me.
    08-17-2015 02:07 PM
    I would bet that the Note 4 see's nothing from the Note 5 in terms of S pen use. If the Note 4 did everything that the Note 5 did with the pen, there'd be zero reason to buy the Note 5. The Note 5 is a step back in every possible way except for these tiny software tweaks with the pen.

We didn't get anything software related from the newer TouchWiz on the S6 so I highly doubt they'd suddenly be generous with software enhancements on the Note 5.
    steflieb likes this.
    08-17-2015 04:24 PM
    I think you are right there!

08-17-2015 04:25 PM
    The off-screen writing?

Hope that makes it to the 4.
    08-18-2015 04:41 AM
    A little fun-fact.

The S Pen works with Wacom drawing tablets (no surprise, given that the digitizer on the Note line is made by Wacom) and the stylus on those drawing tablets apparently work with the Note as well.
    grstatdoc likes this.
    08-18-2015 04:45 AM
    The Action Memo used to be a separate apps, but now they store them together with the S Note. The Action memo is just a "sticky note" size memo for short things you want to jot down like an address or phone number. The difference is the"action" part... you can write down a phone number then on the top of the memo there is a dotted circle with an arrow that you can click on & put a box around the phone number, it pops open a menu that you can "call", add to contacts, email etc directly from the action memo. The S notes are just notes that can be categorized into files & you can rename them, change the cover of the file etc. The scrapbook is for saving content from the web & lets you cut & paste pictures, articles, recipes, and jot down notes on same etc. You can "tag" them to make them searchable by tag.
    You can open action memo by holding down the "button" on the S pen & double tapping the screen. You can change in settings what happens when you pull out the S pen or double tapping etc. Go to settings, System, S Pen. Have fun!
    chuco35, Rarry and krauster like this.
    08-18-2015 09:02 PM
    Sometimes, I will use the Wacom Bamboo with my Note 2 (haven't done it with the Note 4 yet) when I don't feel like using the S Pen. However, the Bamboo seems to be harder to find via retail over here
    08-18-2015 09:21 PM
    Are you referring to the bamboo feel it stylus? I have one and its not too bad as an s pen replacement. I don't hold writing utensils in the traditional fashion, so the s pen gets uncomfortable quickly. My favorite inductive stylus for my note is definitely the pro pen kit from Wacom. It has some weight to it which I like the most. Its just not something many people would purchase considering the price.

나의 SM-N910T 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
    08-19-2015 04:39 AM
    "you can write down a phone number then on the top of the memo there is a dotted circle with an arrow that you can click on & put a box around the phone number, it pops open a menu that you can "call", add to contacts, email etc directly from the action memo."

Thanks for the explanation. That clears up a few things, especially about using the dotted circle to initiate the phone dialer. Regarding the phone dialer if I scribble out a 10 digit number it doesn't seem to like when I write it on multi-lines.

The resultant box surrounds the numbers but when it directs to the phone dialer it only shows some of the digits. But if I select the message option or any of the other action items it picks up and directs all 10 digits. Strange.
    08-19-2015 12:19 PM