I was set to get a Note 4 this week for my work phone, but as I've been mostly out of the loop since the Note 4 dropped, I've been catching up and I'm concerned with some of the stuff I've been reading on the Note 4. The biggest worry is with 5.1.1 and how so many people are saying it turned their phone to crap (lag and battery drain). While I'm not happy with the cost for me to get a 64GB Note 5 ($800), I also don't want to pay $600 for a Note 4 that's going to be a turd. So aside from the lack of SD card support in the Note 5 (I guess I can deal with that due to USB solutions), and the lack of a removable battery (I guess I can deal with it due to fast charging, and seeing you can replace the battery on a S6 on iFixit), my real peeve with the Note 5 is the price. I'm still leaning towards the Note 4 at this point, but I also don't want to regret it in a couple of months either.
    08-19-2015 08:04 PM
    This one question might answer your dilemma: How long do you plan on keeping your next phone, Note 4 or Note 5?

The removable battery in the Note 4 will be easy to replace after 2 years when battery life has degraded. The Note 5 is faster but will you go through the process of replacing the battery or paying someone to do so for you?
    In terms of performance, I can only share a story about my Moto X 2013 and Samsung Galaxy S4. Both equally fast from 2013, the Moto X 2013 was rocking Android 5.1 like a boss despite being a dual core. The Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 5.1 was laggy and unoptimized despite having a quad core. It's hard to predict how software updates will affect performance. But I can tell you one thing. Compared to my new phone they both ran slow like turds. Just some food for thought.
    08-19-2015 08:47 PM
    This one question might answer your dilemma: How long do you plan on keeping your next phone, Note 4 or Note 5?

The removable battery in the Note 4 will be easy to replace after 2 years when battery life has degraded. The Note 5 is faster but will you go through the process of replacing the battery or paying someone to do so for you?
    In terms of performance, I can only share a story about my Moto X 2013 and Samsung Galaxy S4. Both equally fast from 2013, the Moto X 2013 was rocking Android 5.1 like a boss despite being a dual core. The Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 5.1 was laggy and unoptimized despite having a quad core. It's hard to predict how software updates will affect performance. But I can tell you one thing. Compared to my new phone they both ran slow like turds. Just some food for thought.
    I plan on keeping it at least two years. As for the battery, I will do the replacement myself. Reading the S6 guide on iFixit, I'm fine with it (longtime IT worker). That is my worry with buying the Note 4, is that in another six months to a year, it may be laggy as anything and unusable (most likely due to TW). I am comfortable with rooting (and ROMing if need be), so there is that.
    08-19-2015 09:15 PM
    Note four is a fine phone but the lollipop update does bring a few issues. On my phone the screen would turn off watching a movie and it would take repeated pushes of the home button to turn it back on. Lag also was a little issue. I did run nova but once I removed it and went back k to TouchWiz it speeded up a little bit.

Long story short lollipop kind of screwed up SOME phones, I'd test it out, try to throw some programs into memory like gaming on music streaming and see how the phone reacts. I got a m9 and it's much faster just heats up alot more lol.

Note 4 is for sale or given to my mom probably.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-19-2015 09:26 PM
    In my opinion, Lollipop was a beta release! They updated some things and hopefully will continue to fix issues... quickly! My phone on KK runs perfectly with no lags, or troubles seen on LP. My brother's Note 4 has NOT seen any issues with LP. Strange how some people have problems and others don't.

The Note 4 is a very good phone. The Note 5 is new. YMMV with both.

To answer your question... yes I would still recommend buying a Note 4 today. Heck, my phone is only 6 months old... it's still a baby!
    08-20-2015 02:09 AM
    I just picked up my second Note 4. I had my first one for a couple months with no issues. No issues with this one either. Obviously you can't go wrong with the Note 5, but the 4 is still a great phone.

Sent from my Note 4
    ladyc0524 and Tatt2014 like this.
    08-20-2015 05:10 PM