Lock screen issues with 5.1.1 Fingerprint/Trusted Devices.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Same issue on Unlocked TMobile Note 4 910T3 5.1.1

Just disabled Smart Lock....seeing if that might help.

Last edited:

David Aliprandi

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
holy ****l, I am screwed, fingerprint scanner doesn't work, backup password doesn't work. I am certain I have the correct password. I can't wipe my phone because I have many documents in private storage that are not backed up !

I am in thailand with an unlocked note 4, so the carrier has nothing to do with it.

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
factory reset: Turn off device. Press and hold (simultaneously): Volume up, Home button and power. Blue writing should pop up along the top. release all buttons. Little Android man appears. Blue writing on screen use volume down/up to scroll down to wipe data/factory reset. Power button executes. Follow prompts on screen (yes/no, etc.- I'm not following along at this point to give you exacts...). Try wipe cache partition first (if you haven't already). Can't hurt.

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
So, I'll weigh in. I too have Sprint. I too have fingerprint scanner enabled and I too have issues with random "computer burps." IT'S. ANNOYING.That said, WHY? This seems to be a Sprint device issue (mainly), which tells me something they overlaid onto the phone is jacking it up ( a brief google search showed no results for Verizon/ATT and only a couple mentions of T-Mo) OR they bought the "f-class" versions of these phones at a discount from Samsung. And these errors are SOOOOOOOO random. Things like: "SIM card not inserted" but a replacement of SIM card and two factory resets haven't gotten rid of this. Possible solution: remove/replace SIM appears to make it stop for a while (although could be coincidence) but it just. keeps. coming. BACK. Random things like the phone "burping" right in the middle of swiping a fingerprint, wherein after a misswiped finger or two, the screen a) showsno match, b) goes blank except for the background and then c) either locks/resets/turns off or (even WORSE) UNLOCKS! This same thing happens sometimes while the screen has been appropriately unlocked and any random app is on the screen (or from the desktop, as I said, RANDOM). I currently use Nova, but TouchWiz did it as well. Sad face. Anyone figure out anything with this? I had a GS3 and in 3 years of ownership it NEVER EVER EVER had any problems like this. I understand extra complexity, but come on... This phone is unfortunately past the take back date to BIG BOX and Sprint says it's a Samsung issue and Samsung says it's a Sprint issue and either way- my phone doesn't work. Grrrr...

Mohammed Mulla1

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes! My phone often does not respond to my lock key or home button when I try to unlock it, I often get a message saying TouchWiz home isn't responding, or Google Now Launcher isn't responding or even that my fingerprint sensor isn't responding! My Note 4 also locks while I'm busy for some reason and cuts my call immediately once I dialed a number. I have upgrade to 5.1.1 as well. I noticed many S Health features too no more are able to function with this 5.1.1.

Lock Screen: Standard
Password: Fingerprint
Memory Card: Yes
Launcher: TouchWiz

Posted via the Android Central App

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
So, I'll weigh in. I too have Sprint. I too have fingerprint scanner enabled and I too have issues with random "computer burps." IT'S. ANNOYING.That said, WHY? This seems to be a Sprint device issue (mainly), which tells me something they overlaid onto the phone is jacking it up ( a brief google search showed no results for Verizon/ATT and only a couple mentions of T-Mo) OR they bought the "f-class" versions of these phones at a discount from Samsung. And these errors are SOOOOOOOO random. Things like: "SIM card not inserted" but a replacement of SIM card and two factory resets haven't gotten rid of this. Possible solution: remove/replace SIM appears to make it stop for a while (although could be coincidence) but it just. keeps. coming. BACK. Random things like the phone "burping" right in the middle of swiping a fingerprint, wherein after a misswiped finger or two, the screen a) showsno match, b) goes blank except for the background and then c) either locks/resets/turns off or (even WORSE) UNLOCKS! This same thing happens sometimes while the screen has been appropriately unlocked and any random app is on the screen (or from the desktop, as I said, RANDOM). I currently use Nova, but TouchWiz did it as well. Sad face. Anyone figure out anything with this? I had a GS3 and in 3 years of ownership it NEVER EVER EVER had any problems like this. I understand extra complexity, but come on... This phone is unfortunately past the take back date to BIG BOX and Sprint says it's a Samsung issue and Samsung says it's a Sprint issue and either way- my phone doesn't work. Grrrr...

Changing the lock screen security from FingerPrint to Pattern lock Fixed the issues for me.

zion_522

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem. Just been locked out of my own phone! It won't show me the fingerprint scan option but instead jumps straight into the emergency password screen which it doesn't recognise although it's the right one! It's so annoying. I'm in the UK on Three network. How did you do the factory reset? how can i do it if i can't even access the settings on my phone?

Thank you,

Wellington

Mohammed Mulla1

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem. Just been locked out of my own phone! It won't show me the fingerprint scan option but instead jumps straight into the emergency password screen which it doesn't recognise although it's the right one! It's so annoying. I'm in the UK on Three network. How did you do the factory reset? how can i do it if i can't even access the settings on my phone?

Thank you,

Wellington

I'm from South Africa, solved my issues by wiping the cache partition and then doing the factory reset. Before anything, do remember to back all yor date up on cloud or other storage especially date stored on the phone. Switch the phone off, switch it back on in recovery mode by holding the power, home and volume up button. Once there use the volume rockers to navigate the list down to wiping the cache, use the lock button to select the desired option. On the bottom of the screen it'll tell you once the wiping has been done. Thereafter navigate down to factory reset, select yest and your phone will take 3-4mins and will prompt you to reboot. The phone will be like brand new but with the android version it had installed. I did this and all my issues have been resolved

Peter r3

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Me too

Try this one. Make blue tooth in car radio a smart lock trusted device, set ur phone to pin lock screen, while blue tooth on, let phone time out to the lock screen, u now only have a swipe screen, then either pull down notification window/shut off Bluetooth or turn your car engine off and in several seconds the lock screen panel re appears and all is normal. This is a conflict between smart lock and the phones lock screen function. A bug in the software build.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
How did you reset your note4 if you couldn't unlock your device?!

Power down the phone. Press POWER - HOME - VOLUME_UP simultaneously and keep holding it until the phone vibrate. An Android with a spinny thing in his belly will appear, then enventually a menu will appear. One of the options is factory reset. You know you have the right option when there is a menu of ten "NO" prompts with a single "YES - RESET" in the middle that you have to scroll down to.

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The problem I am having and it is new, not since I updated to 5.11 (on sprint) but just new is that the phone when locked and dark won't respond to the home or lock button to light up the screen. I have to press them a couple times to get the screen to come to light and then can lock screen swipe to unlock and proceed?

anyone else notice this or have this issue and what can one do about it?

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm from South Africa, solved my issues by wiping the cache partition and then doing the factory reset. Before anything, do remember to back all yor date up on cloud or other storage especially date stored on the phone. Switch the phone off, switch it back on in recovery mode by holding the power, home and volume up button. Once there use the volume rockers to navigate the list down to wiping the cache, use the lock button to select the desired option. On the bottom of the screen it'll tell you once the wiping has been done. Thereafter navigate down to factory reset, select yest and your phone will take 3-4mins and will prompt you to reboot. The phone will be like brand new but with the android version it had installed. I did this and all my issues have been resolved

I haven't tried a factory reset (yet). Can anyone advise if a) they had these issues and b) reset the phone to find no more issues?

Hkyfn

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Me too

Try this one. Make blue tooth in car radio a smart lock trusted device, set ur phone to pin lock screen, while blue tooth on, let phone time out to the lock screen, u now only have a swipe screen, then either pull down notification window/shut off Bluetooth or turn your car engine off and in several seconds the lock screen panel re appears and all is normal. This is a conflict between smart lock and the phones lock screen function. A bug in the software build.

Thank you for this. My problem is my phone wouldn't lock any more and if it did the fingerprint scanner wasn't always the option to open it as I had set it to be. I found your tip about the Smart Lock function and discovered it had added my new Fitbit to trusted devices and so it wouldn't lock because the Fitbit was always nearby. Seems to be working now so thanks 😊 👍

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Changing the lock screen security from FingerPrint to Pattern lock Fixed the issues for me.

Related: Whatever the last Sprint/Samsung update was fixed the fingerprint scanner (it's still persnickety about how you swipe it, but that's the execution, not the functionality itself). Works like a charm now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane