This is going to sound really absurd, but its true.
    Every time I start the engine of my truck, my Note 4 Notification Ringtone goes off. There's no text message, no notification
    of any kind, but it goes off. I have no idea whats going on. Could it be some RF from the engine that somehow triggers the phone to do this?
    I thought perhaps it was the position of it on my belt, that maybe when I leaned forward to turn on the
    engine, I was causing it to happen. But this morning, I even took the phone off my belt, and placed it on the dashboard of the truck. Same thing happened, the notification ringtone went off as soon as I turned the key and the engine started.
    Bizarre.
    08-21-2015 05:55 PM
    Start with an internal cache clean/wipe. If that doesn't help go into recovery and do a cache wipe there. If you still can figure out what is going on and it's driving you nuts - it would me - backup everything and do a factory reset from recovery.

From the sound of things it might be a recent system setting that has been changed or an app setting that you don't remember changing or setting up.
    08-21-2015 06:12 PM
    I did the Internal Cache clean, that might do it. If it doesnt, how do I do a cache wipe from recovery?
    08-21-2015 06:36 PM
    I did the Internal Cache clean, that might do it. If it doesnt, how do I do a cache wipe from recovery?
    Wipe Galaxy Note 4 Cache Partition

Power Down Your Galaxy Note 4(Take the Battery Out if You Have To)
    Press and Hold the Power Button, Home Button and the Volume Up Button at the Same Time
    When the Galaxy Note 4 Vibrates, Let Go of the Power and Home Buttons
    Continue Holding the Volume Up Button
    When You See the Android System Recovery Page Let Go of the Volume Up Button
    Press the Volume Down Button to Highlight the Wipe Cache Partition Option
    Press the Power Button to Select this Option
    Wait Up to 15 Minutes for Android to Wipe the Cache Partition
    When Complete, Make Sure the Reboot System Now Option is Highlighted
    Press the Power Button to Select this Option and Reboot into Android
    08-21-2015 07:12 PM
    Another thought - do you use Tasker, ITTT, or AutomateIt? Could you have set something there to remind you to put your phone on hands-free?
    08-21-2015 07:17 PM
    I did the Wipe Cache Partition, Text ringtone still sounds when I start the truck. I don't have either ITTT or Tasker.
    This is the most bizarre thing I have ever experienced on a cell phone.
    08-22-2015 06:38 PM
    Is your phone paired to your vehicle via bluetooth? Do you have the phone plugged into a cigarette lighter charger when you start the engine?

Posted from my Sammy Note 4
    08-23-2015 12:31 AM
    I did the Wipe Cache Partition, Text ringtone still sounds when I start the truck. I don't have either ITTT or Tasker.
    This is the most bizarre thing I have ever experienced on a cell phone.
    Third part of my question should have said AutomateIt. I fixed my post. What about an alarm to remind you to go hands-free? You may have found a cool app or something else and set it with your ringtone tied to the BT. I downloaded a similar app just today.

I can't speak for you, because if you're not rooted it's a big pain to backup and set everything up again, but that would drive me nuts and I would probably do a factory reset and be done with it. I feel sure it's an app. Have you scanned your app drawer to see if something (NPI) rings a bell?
    08-23-2015 12:56 AM
    I have a Samsung Gear S, so my Note 4 has BT on all the time. Could that be somehow the reason that this is happening?
    I'm going to turn off the BT, get in the truck, and turn it on. If the ringtone doesn't go off, Ill know. But if the BT connection is the problem, the question is, how do I stop it? I need the Gear S connected to my phone.
    08-23-2015 11:54 AM
    BT is always on, because I have a Samsung Gear S. The phone is not plugged into the cig lighter in the truck.
    08-23-2015 12:36 PM
    BT is always on, because I have a Samsung Gear S. The phone is not plugged into the cig lighter in the truck.
    Try disassociating or turning off your Samsung Gear in order to test.

I have a Samsung Gear S, so my Note 4 has BT on all the time. Could that be somehow the reason that this is happening?
    I'm going to turn off the BT, get in the truck, and turn it on. If the ringtone doesn't go off, Ill know. But if the BT connection is the problem, the question is, how do I stop it? I need the Gear S connected to my phone.
    I don't have the Samsung Gear, but that sounds plausible to me.
    08-23-2015 04:42 PM
    So I turned off Bluetooth on my Note 4, went out to my truck, turned on the ignition...........no ringtone. I guess that proves that somehow, the BT is causing the Notification Ringtone to sound every time I start my truck. Since I have a Samsung Gear S Smartwatch, and have to have my BT on all the time......how do I solve this issue? Ive looked at all the recently installed apps on my phone, there were just a few, and I'm positive that they didn't need BT. Its not the most horrible cell phone issue, but it is annoying, and I would like to find a way around it.
    08-23-2015 05:43 PM
    So I turned off Bluetooth on my Note 4, went out to my truck, turned on the ignition...........no ringtone. I guess that proves that somehow, the BT is causing the Notification Ringtone to sound every time I start my truck. Since I have a Samsung Gear S Smartwatch, and have to have my BT on all the time......how do I solve this issue? Ive looked at all the recently installed apps on my phone, there were just a few, and I'm positive that they didn't need BT. Its not the most horrible cell phone issue, but it is annoying, and I would like to find a way around it.
    Keeping in mind that I don't have any Samsung gear, anything I say from this point on is speculation.

First, do you have an app, or desktop program via Samsung, that allows you to monitor or change things on your Gear? If so, I would go into the app/program - both if you have both - and look at your settings.

Second, I would try the Samsung forum for your products. Search on both. I don't know where you are, or which carrier - guessing the US - so here is a link to the US support area for the Note 4. You'll need to go to to the right model to start your search. Do the same thing for the particular SGear that you have.

Just past the gray area and input box is where the phones start. Find the Note 4 for your carrier. Click on it and go to the page for your phone. The second link is for SGear - do the same thing.
    Mobile - Cell Phones - Samsung Support
    Support |

This is the page for my phone. Go down to where you see Answers tab and Topics tab, then find the same for your phone on the link above. Do the same for your SGear:
    Support - Sprint Cell Phones SM-N910P | Samsung Cell Phones

Hope this somehow helps. Let me know the results.
    08-23-2015 06:30 PM
    Take a look in the S Health app on your Note. There might be settings in there, too, though unlikely.
    08-23-2015 06:40 PM
    Does your truck have an audio system that can connect to your phone by bluetooth? It sounds like either it is connected, or the phone detects the system and is letting you know.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-23-2015 06:49 PM
    Does your truck have an audio system that can connect to your phone by bluetooth? It sounds like either it is connected, or the phone detects the system and is letting you know.
    That sounds very likely. I have neither a truck or car with a bluetooth audio system. Even so, it's a setting somewhere that should be able to be modified.

A search of the truck model combined with the issue may well bring up answers on Google.
    08-23-2015 07:14 PM
    I do have an audio system in my truck, and I 'll check and see if the Bluetooth on that system is on, and if so, turn it off.
    I will get back here with the results this coming week.
    Thank you all for trying to help me.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-23-2015 07:52 PM
    I don't think the BT in your truck would connect unless it's in the BT list on your phone. It'd be easier to just remove the truck BT name from your phone BT settings.
    08-24-2015 02:55 AM
    I do have an audio system in my truck, and I 'll check and see if the Bluetooth on that system is on, and if so, turn it off.
    I will get back here with the results this coming week.
    Thank you all for trying to help me.
    Guess what?! I went for a walk today using a new BT headset and at one point, while listening to Pandora, my left earphone started dinging/ringing constantly just like I would expect if a call was coming in. (not the phone, I checked - no calls). I skipped the song, and turned around and started back to see if it would go away. It did. I have almost NO service in my area except for when close to my house, via wifi. My settings are very specific to avoid roaming, but there might be a setting somewhere to signal when I'm going out of my area for wifi, OR more likely, switching to from my sprint data area to roaming (which is turned off). Nothing to do with the BT, but if the latter were true I would hear the signal while listening to anything audio (in theory). I listened with the same headset yesterday in the yard and had no such experience so the dinging/ringing was somehow tied to my location. If I get more info as to why - headset, etc. I will post back.

My question to you is - when the sound goes off are you leaving your wifi area, technically, or your service area i.e. roaming and it's letting you know? You might ponder this and test the theory when not in your truck. Go as far as you can on wifi and see if you can replicate the situation.
    08-24-2015 04:34 PM
    OK guys, I finally solved the problem.
    When I removed the link on my Note 4 Bluetooth to the truck radio, the notification ringtone kept going off every time I started my truck. So I figured out how to turn off Bluetooth on the radio, and it STILL kept going off! Really confused. I'm thinking, this shouldn't be happening. So I turned Bluetooth on in BOTH devices, still happened. Then I figured out how to determine WHY the ringtone was going off. It was the radio Bluetooth wanting to access my contact list on the Note 4, so I clicked on OK and DON'T SHOW THIS AGAIN.......and now its working perfectly. My Note 4 is connected to my truck radio via Bluetooth, and no more annoying ringtones, except when I get a text message. Finally! Just kept trying trial and error, finally lucked out. Thanks to you all for helping me.
    08-29-2015 12:10 PM
    and now its working perfectly
    Congrats! Glad you nailed it. Nothing worse than an annoying situation that can't be discovered as to why, and then corrected.

I'm sure my situation is something similar. When the weather calms down a bit I'm going to test mine again. Pretty sure it's a range advisory or roaming advisory.
    08-29-2015 02:53 PM