Traded in my Note 4 for the 5 today, my initial impressions...

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
#11 - with the 5.1.1 update, there are no album covers on the lockscreen note 4 either.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm tracking things that are gone or changed on the Note 5 as I may want to buy one for my sister. Besides the non-replaceable battery and missing SD card and IR Blaster, can you verify the following?

1) On the Note 4, it gives you the "just once/always" option, and will continue to give you this option until you select always? There is no "just once" on the Note 5... you are given one the choice to choose the default app. You can clear the choice on both Notes
2) On the Note 4, you can disable fast charging, can it be disabled on the Note 5? (Never mind, I read where you can't disable on the Note 5)
3) Samsung did away with the "Side key" panel on the Note 5. This alone, (well, not just this!!!), would make me never upgrade to the Note 5. I use this ALL THE TIME!
4) "My Interests" wallpapers on the lockscreen is no longer a choice on the Note 5?
5) According to some threads I've read, the speaker on the Note 5 is softer than the Note 4
6) I believe Smart Dock capability is also not present with a Note 5?
7) "Smart detect", where the phone can detect text from a photo and convert it to text is no longer present on the Note 5?
8) Note 5's don't light up with notifications?
9) "Multiscreen" won't launch with long press of back button if you're in an app? Moved to left soft key on Note 5, instead of back key.
10) Samsung's HDMI MHL adapter doesn't fit on a Note 5 (verified)
11) Full screen album covers (music player) on the lockscreen are not available on a Note 5? LP 5.1.1 removed this feature. Not a Note 5 problem.
12) You can't adjust the delay, or turn off the "touch key" lights on the Note 5?

There are also reports of screen problems in bright sunlight. Supposedly due to the thinness on the Note 5, and all S6's.

There are reports of over-agressive mulittasking ram management where open apps have to reload. This means a reload from the recent apps. Samsung is fooling people with the capabilities of their smaller battery... rather, they're stopping apps to save power. However, it was discovered quite quickly! Bad Sammy, bad!

As a former Note 4 owner, do you know of any other feature(s) that have changed on your Note 5?

Information was gathered on AC, XDA, and around the web.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting. You and I, see eye to eye on this one. I'm not liking how Samsung is changing or the direction they are taking. I'm definitely looking at other phones in the future. Hoping the LG Note Pro comes out in a few months, just to see them have some competition. Although, I don't understand the point #4 "Side Key" Panel. What are you referring to? Maybe it's just the way you're putting it. Of course, there's still so much of my phone I haven't explored yet, which really is surprising. LOL.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting. You and I, see eye to eye on this one. I'm not liking how Samsung is changing or the direction they are taking. I'm definitely looking at other phones in the future. Hoping the LG Note Pro comes out in a few months, just to see them have some competition. Although, I don't understand the point #4 "Side Key" Panel. What are you referring to? Maybe it's just the way you're putting it. Of course, there's still so much of my phone I haven't explored yet, which really is surprising. LOL.
#3 Side Key panel is a (somewhat) configurable toolbar that can be displayed and "parked" around the edge of your screen until you want to use it. It's basically a pull-out shortcut and it hides when not in use. Pull it out with your fingers or the S- Pen. You can also adjust the transparency of the tool. If you open your Quick settings/Notification panel, you should see "Side Key panel". Enable it and it'll show up on your screen. Click on the cross on the top square of the tool and you can position the tool almost anywhere along the right and left edge of the screen. Click the cross and drag the tool into the word "Edit" at the top of the screen to edit the icons that show.

I use it all the time to go to my Home screen without having to press on the Home button (less wear to the Home button). There is also a "reduce screen" option (not shown on mine) for one-handed use (Note: the tool will not be shown in reduced screens).

View attachment 193749

In it's "parked" position.
View attachment 193750

"pulled out"
View attachment 193748

Give it a try. Very cool and useful tool that's no longer on the Note 5.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I see, it's basically on option for not hitting the buttons on the bottom. So like having the Capacitative buttons on screen instead of the hardware ones, with the ability to move. Hmmm, never even noticed that. LOL. Thanks for showing it's a cool feature, not sure how much I would use it, but nice to have for the reasons you mentioned I agree. Thanks, I'm always up for learning something new on the phone that I didn't even know existed before.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I see, it's basically on option for not hitting the buttons on the bottom. So like having the Capacitative buttons on screen instead of the hardware ones, with the ability to move. Hmmm, never even noticed that. LOL. Thanks for showing it's a cool feature, not sure how much I would use it, but nice to have for the reasons you mentioned I agree. Thanks, I'm always up for learning something new on the phone that I didn't even know existed before.
The option to reduce screen for one handed operation is a nice feature too. I just didn't have it enabled when I took to photos. Yah, whether you use it or not, at least it's there on our phone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz