08-29-2015 08:02 PM
26 12
tools
    64GB Sapphire black on AT&T. Traded in my white Note 4 32gb with 32gb sd card on Next program I got at launch last Oct. First impression is wow this thing is slim and lighter. Almost fragile but built solid at the same time. Fingerprint magnet, you'' be wiping it down a lot. Screen seems a little brighter and now text seems smaller actually using the 2560 x 1440p resolution this time around. Battery life seems on par with the Note 4. Don't really miss my sd card as it seemed to slow down my Note 4 in the end. Very snappy especially the camera. More refined in a lot of ways, but the same in others as the Note 4. More narrow than the 4. Screen seems smaller but isn't the bezel is nearly gone on the edges. Loving the note taking while the screen is off. Sound is ok about the same as the 4. Also when you register your phone with Samsung you'll get a 30% any accessory direct from them for anything $59 and lower. Used it to get a clear view case that comes in 3 colors. Only black sapphire and white are here in the US sadly, I was liking the silver titanium version in reviews. It looks black until you put it around reflective lights then it looks navy blue. So far I like it. Wanted to get this short in hand review out to those on the fence about upgrading to one. I'm sure some will like it some won't. If you have a S6 or S6 edge its a lot like using one of those just bigger with a S pen as far as design goes. Same CPU too. Having the 4gb of ram seems noticeable as well. Hope this helps, pics follow...

08-21-2015 06:09 PM
    Glad you enjoyed!!!

~Blessed From My Note 4~
    08-21-2015 06:13 PM
    Glad you are enjoying it so far. I'm on restriction for buying another phone until at least a year.
    08-21-2015 07:00 PM
    Congrats! Enjoy!
    08-21-2015 07:35 PM
    64GB Sapphire black on AT&T. Traded in my white Note 4 32gb with 32gb sd card on Next program I got at launch last Oct. First impression is wow this thing is slim and lighter. Almost fragile but built solid at the same time. Fingerprint magnet, you'' be wiping it down a lot. Screen seems a little brighter and now text seems smaller actually using the 2560 x 1440p resolution this time around. Battery life seems on par with the Note 4. Don't really miss my sd card as it seemed to slow down my Note 4 in the end. Very snappy especially the camera. More refined in a lot of ways, but the same in others as the Note 4. More narrow than the 4. Screen seems smaller but isn't the bezel is nearly gone on the edges. Loving the note taking while the screen is off. Sound is ok about the same as the 4. Also when you register your phone with Samsung you'll get a 30% any accessory direct from them for anything $59 and lower. Used it to get a clear view case that comes in 3 colors. Only black sapphire and white are here in the US sadly, I was liking the silver titanium version in reviews. It looks black until you put it around reflective lights then it looks navy blue. So far I like it. Wanted to get this short in hand review out to those on the fence about upgrading to one. I'm sure some will like it some won't. If you have a S6 or S6 edge its a lot like using one of those just bigger with a S pen as far as design goes. Same CPU too. Having the 4gb of ram seems noticeable as well. Hope this helps, pics follow...

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...psbbfdrglw.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...pseh2ghrsm.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...psyudugi4b.jpg
    I LOVE that you can write a note on the lockscreen.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-21-2015 08:33 PM
    Nice! Enjoy your new phone!

Quick question, I noticed that the Note 5 has two microphones instead of three mics like the Note 4. If you have had a chance to record a video yet, have you noticed any difference in the audio quality between the videos recorded on the Note 4 and 5?
    08-21-2015 09:51 PM
    Congrats.

from my old nexus 5
    08-21-2015 10:10 PM
    Did ATT include headphones in the N5? I remember they jacked em from the N4 box then sold em to you.

08-21-2015 10:53 PM
    Did ATT include headphones in the N5? I remember they jacked em from the N4 box then sold em to you.

I had to check my box to be sure and yes they did.
    Katrina White1 likes this.
    08-21-2015 11:16 PM

My note 4 from att came with earphones. They really did jack you.
    08-22-2015 01:19 AM
    Just curious, does the note 5 have the problem with the screen not being flat like the note 4? I just ask, because it's such a pain to find Tempered Glass screen protectors on the note 4 because of the tapered down edges. I know there are some, but not that many that are good because of the shape of the Note 4. One thing I wish they would change is the button on the S Pen. I wish they would move it back more. I'm always hitting it when I write, setting off the air command.

I still think the Note 5 looks nice, but definitely not worth the upgrade to me, especially the price they're asking now. AT&T rapes you. Still not able to root the darnn Note 4 with them yet either. Only one too. I actually don't see why they can't add the new S Pen features to the Note 4, but it's greed I know. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Really the first time I'm actually looking at what else is out there, because Samsung starting to really bother me. My phone should last me at least another year or so more, so in no hurry. Good luck with yours. New tech always appeals to me and I'm sure you'll enjoy the new features, but sounds like a barely upgraded Note 4 to me. Good luck with it and glad you like it.
    08-22-2015 01:27 AM

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...psbbfdrglw.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...pseh2ghrsm.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...psyudugi4b.jpg
    Thank you very much... headed to my VZW Store shortly!
    08-22-2015 01:10 PM
    My note 4 from att came with earphones. They really did jack you.
    I bought from Sprint so I had em, but I remember talk about that from the forums last year. Not everyone had them. I was asking about that because we're planning on switching to ATT.

08-22-2015 01:55 PM
    Thank you very much... headed to my VZW Store shortly!
    Crap... I HATE WAITING! I checked online with VZW and my wife's phone is eligible for upgrade on 9/4 (My Upgrade isn't until Oct of 2016!) but it showed an "Early Upgrade Special" for the Note 5 today. I drove to the store and tried to use hers to update mine but the "Early Upgrade Special" is only if I want to pay the $29.00 a month and buy her a data plan (she's still on a Flip-Phone) - now I have to wait until September 4th to use her's to upgrade mine... I am an impatient person. Grrrr... did I mention that I'm an impatient person?
    08-22-2015 02:18 PM
    Nice! Enjoy your new phone!

Quick question, I noticed that the Note 5 has two microphones instead of three mics like the Note 4. If you have had a chance to record a video yet, have you noticed any difference in the audio quality between the videos recorded on the Note 4 and 5?
    Well, Phone Arena just published a comparison between the Note 4 and Note 5. They covered this particular question I had with the audio and the missing third mic on the Note 5.

"Auto-focusing speed is a domain that is undoubtedly ruled by the Note5, which adjusts its focus with ludicrous speeds, while the Note 4 needs some extra moments. Additionally, we liked the microphone performance of the Note 4 more, as voices recorded with the Note5 sound ever so slightly distorted, processed, and not as natural as we'd like them to be"

Read more at Samsung Galaxy Note5 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Camera and Multimedia
    08-25-2015 10:56 AM
    Thanks for the quick impression, The colors on the phone look amazing. congrats and enjoy your new phone,
    soldier45 likes this.
    08-25-2015 12:08 PM
    Just in time for N6

jimd1050 likes this.
    08-26-2015 09:38 AM
    Congrats and enjoy it!

Its not for me, I have over 80GB Storage in my Note 4, and the Note 5 can't have more than 64GB, plus its mostly the same as the 4, so I'll wait for the 6.

Sent from my Note 4 +64GB MicroSDXC via Tapatalk
    08-26-2015 01:04 PM
    I'm tracking things that are gone or changed on the Note 5 as I may want to buy one for my sister. Besides the non-replaceable battery and missing SD card and IR Blaster, can you verify the following?

1) On the Note 4, it gives you the "just once/always" option, and will continue to give you this option until you select always? There is no "just once" on the Note 5... you are given one choice to choose the default app. You can clear the choice on both Notes
    2) On the Note 4, you can disable fast charging, can it be disabled on the Note 5? (Never mind, I read where you can't disable on the Note 5)
    3) Samsung did away with the "Side key" panel on the Note 5. This alone, (well, not just this!!!), would make me never upgrade to the Note 5. I use this ALL THE TIME!
    4) "My Interests" wallpapers on the lockscreen is no longer a choice on the Note 5
    5) According to some threads I've read, the speaker on the Note 5 is softer than the Note 4
    6) I believe Smart Dock capability is also not present with a Note 5
    7) "Smart detect", where the phone can detect text from a photo and convert it to text is no longer present on the Note 5
    8) Note 5's don't light up with notifications
    9) "Multiscreen" won't launch with long press of back button if you're in an app? Moved to left soft key on Note 5, instead of back key.
    10) Samsung's HDMI MHL adapter doesn't fit on a Note 5 (verified)
    11) Full screen album covers (music player) on the lockscreen are not available on a Note 5? LP 5.1.1 removed this feature. Not a Note 5 problem.
    12) You can't adjust the delay, or turn off the "touch key" lights on the Note 5
    13) Can no longer capture frame by frame stills from video

There are also reports of screen problems in bright sunlight. Supposedly due to the thinness on the Note 5, and all S6's.

There are reports of over-agressive mulittasking ram management where open apps have to reload. This means a reload from the recent apps. Samsung is fooling people with the capabilities of their smaller battery... rather, they're stopping apps to save power. However, it was discovered quite quickly! Bad Sammy, bad!

As a former Note 4 owner, do you know of any other feature(s) that have changed on your Note 5?

Information was gathered on AC, XDA, and around the web.

Blue text are Additions

Thanks!
    H3aTeRzz and Andy847 like this.
    08-26-2015 07:08 PM
    #9: It was just moved to the "All Programs" long press. Left side soft key.

nahoku likes this.
    08-26-2015 09:30 PM
    #11 - with the 5.1.1 update, there are no album covers on the lockscreen note 4 either.

nahoku likes this.
    08-26-2015 11:52 PM
    #9: It was just moved to the "All Programs" long press. Left side soft key.

I see. Thank you!

#11 - with the 5.1.1 update, there are no album covers on the lockscreen note 4 either.

Didn't know it was a LP update. I'm still on KK. Thanks!
    08-27-2015 12:43 AM
    I'm tracking things that are gone or changed on the Note 5 as I may want to buy one for my sister. Besides the non-replaceable battery and missing SD card and IR Blaster, can you verify the following?

1) On the Note 4, it gives you the "just once/always" option, and will continue to give you this option until you select always? There is no "just once" on the Note 5... you are given one the choice to choose the default app. You can clear the choice on both Notes
    2) On the Note 4, you can disable fast charging, can it be disabled on the Note 5? (Never mind, I read where you can't disable on the Note 5)
    3) Samsung did away with the "Side key" panel on the Note 5. This alone, (well, not just this!!!), would make me never upgrade to the Note 5. I use this ALL THE TIME!
    4) "My Interests" wallpapers on the lockscreen is no longer a choice on the Note 5?
    5) According to some threads I've read, the speaker on the Note 5 is softer than the Note 4
    6) I believe Smart Dock capability is also not present with a Note 5?
    7) "Smart detect", where the phone can detect text from a photo and convert it to text is no longer present on the Note 5?
    8) Note 5's don't light up with notifications?
    9) "Multiscreen" won't launch with long press of back button if you're in an app? Moved to left soft key on Note 5, instead of back key.
    10) Samsung's HDMI MHL adapter doesn't fit on a Note 5 (verified)
    11) Full screen album covers (music player) on the lockscreen are not available on a Note 5? LP 5.1.1 removed this feature. Not a Note 5 problem.
    12) You can't adjust the delay, or turn off the "touch key" lights on the Note 5?

There are also reports of screen problems in bright sunlight. Supposedly due to the thinness on the Note 5, and all S6's.

There are reports of over-agressive mulittasking ram management where open apps have to reload. This means a reload from the recent apps. Samsung is fooling people with the capabilities of their smaller battery... rather, they're stopping apps to save power. However, it was discovered quite quickly! Bad Sammy, bad!

As a former Note 4 owner, do you know of any other feature(s) that have changed on your Note 5?

Information was gathered on AC, XDA, and around the web.

Thanks!
    Thanks for posting. You and I, see eye to eye on this one. I'm not liking how Samsung is changing or the direction they are taking. I'm definitely looking at other phones in the future. Hoping the LG Note Pro comes out in a few months, just to see them have some competition. Although, I don't understand the point #4 "Side Key" Panel. What are you referring to? Maybe it's just the way you're putting it. Of course, there's still so much of my phone I haven't explored yet, which really is surprising. LOL.
    Dante314 and nahoku like this.
    08-28-2015 07:40 PM
    Thanks for posting. You and I, see eye to eye on this one. I'm not liking how Samsung is changing or the direction they are taking. I'm definitely looking at other phones in the future. Hoping the LG Note Pro comes out in a few months, just to see them have some competition. Although, I don't understand the point #4 "Side Key" Panel. What are you referring to? Maybe it's just the way you're putting it. Of course, there's still so much of my phone I haven't explored yet, which really is surprising. LOL.
    #3 Side Key panel is a (somewhat) configurable toolbar that can be displayed and "parked" around the edge of your screen until you want to use it. It's basically a pull-out shortcut and it hides when not in use. Pull it out with your fingers or the S- Pen. You can also adjust the transparency of the tool. If you open your Quick settings/Notification panel, you should see "Side Key panel". Enable it and it'll show up on your screen. Click on the cross on the top square of the tool and you can position the tool almost anywhere along the right and left edge of the screen. Click the cross and drag the tool into the word "Edit" at the top of the screen to edit the icons that show.

I use it all the time to go to my Home screen without having to press on the Home button (less wear to the Home button). There is also a "reduce screen" option (not shown on mine) for one-handed use (Note: the tool will not be shown in reduced screens).

Attachment 193749

In it's "parked" position.
    Attachment 193750

"pulled out"
    Attachment 193748

Give it a try. Very cool and useful tool that's no longer on the Note 5.
    Andy847 likes this.
    08-28-2015 08:54 PM
    I see, it's basically on option for not hitting the buttons on the bottom. So like having the Capacitative buttons on screen instead of the hardware ones, with the ability to move. Hmmm, never even noticed that. LOL. Thanks for showing it's a cool feature, not sure how much I would use it, but nice to have for the reasons you mentioned I agree. Thanks, I'm always up for learning something new on the phone that I didn't even know existed before.
    nahoku likes this.
    08-29-2015 07:45 PM
26 12